Hey, I was watching a video on justin guitar, where he says that in a powerchord you must mute every string that it is not used, I've never heard about that, I tried it and it was really hard moving around the neck and muting the strings.
It is really neccesary to learn this skill? I could play kinda hard things without muting and now im struggling with smoke on the water lol
when i play a power chord i use my pointer and ring finger to fret and then they just kinda naturally mute the unused strings
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
yeah thats bull. go with what sounds good
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
for powerchords i use my index finger to play the root note and the my ring and little finger to play the other two notes...
for muting the string it's automatic if you use your index finger to bar all the sting pressing only on the root note...

try it...you'll get better
haha muteing the strings that arent played is the most stupid and pointless tech for playing guitar that ive ever heard, seriously dont even waste your time with something as pointless as that
Alright, i beleave i understand the question, powerchords... whether they be in normal tuning or dropped tuning, muting the strings is a tech that guitarists use because its whats comfortable for them. Whether you do so or not is no big issue, but if you've been playing one way, and it sounds good then why change it? it won't help unless you've been learning to play that way from the get'go. If it sounds good it's good there's no reason to change if it's good the way it is.
Now if you beleave that your being sloppy in your guitar playing than learning a new tech won't help, it jus takes practice and time.
IMO i don't think you should learn to mute strings that your going to skip anyhow, it forces you to focus on too much and moves you away from what you ultimate goal is.
"...I tell them if its sounds good it's good, no need to change..."

Yngwie Malmsteen-
Last edited by Dsmal Faith at Aug 4, 2008,
^you´re ultimate goal is to sound good yes, to guarente that, you mute every string in a powerchord with you´re first finger, no other string noise possible. That´s perfectly easy with some practice.
Quote by Zaio
Hey, I was watching a video on justin guitar, where he says that in a powerchord you must mute every string that it is not used, I've never heard about that, I tried it and it was really hard moving around the neck and muting the strings.
It is really neccesary to learn this skill? I could play kinda hard things without muting and now im struggling with smoke on the water lol

what the video means is just dont give a press on the strings that are not used in power chords since Pchords are just composed of 2-3 notes w/c means it only requires 2-3 strings to play with (root note, 5th note, and root octave). However, there's also another kind of muting called the Palm Muting. I believe you already know that one.
Quote by Martin^roll
^you´re ultimate goal is to sound good yes, to guarente that, you mute every string in a powerchord with you´re first finger, no other string noise possible. That´s perfectly easy with some practice.

+1 thats how I do it, comes natural from barre chords. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it though.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!