I was checking out my Girlfriend's Brother's guitar today... It's a black Epiphone guitar, but on the headpiece (bearing the Epiphone logo), the truss rod cover reads "GIBSON" in the traditional vertical alignment.

Is this normal?

Besides that, the headstock also has "Special Model" printed on it. I have a picture that I will upload later.

More info: it's a black solid body with one cutaway. I have the serial number from the plate on the back. Where can I check?

It's not too old, but at least 4-5 years old. I'm not really sure as it hasn't faced much play.

EDIT: From the Guitar Dater Project:

Your guitar was made at the
Sae Jung Plant, China
June 2003
i like progressive rock
someone probably bought a Gibson truss rod cover and replaced the Epiphone one
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
I think there might be a couple models that do have Gibson on the truss rod, I am not positive though
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by funkymonkz
someone probably bought a Gibson truss rod cover and replaced the Epiphone one

I don't think so. The guitar has never been in the hands of someone who really knows anything about guitars...

Is there anyway to find the model type from the serial number? I have a picture of the Headstock.

I'm wondering if I should buy the guitar. I was offered it for $100. Maybe I could buy some decent pickups or something. I'm curious about the wood on it.
i like progressive rock
I have the same guitar. The Epiphone Specials were the really cheap LPs that came in bundle packs with an amp. Mine has the Gibson truss rod cover too. It's not a rare oddity or anything like that. It's just Gibson putting there name on cheap Epiphone guitars to make just a little bit more legitimate.
Quote by MacFamousKid
I have the same guitar. The Epiphone Specials were the really cheap LPs that came in bundle packs with an amp. Mine has the Gibson truss rod cover too. It's not a rare oddity or anything like that. It's just Gibson putting there name on cheap Epiphone guitars to make just a little bit more legitimate.

Interesting. How much did the guitar cost?

Should I buy it and upgrade?
i like progressive rock
gibson makes epiphones so they decide to put their name on it. this is very common and appears on the epiphone g 400s.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
I've seen lots of epis with gibson on the trussrod cover.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
I'm trying to identify the price on this thing.

It's this shape. Pure black gloss-no trim. 2 humbuckers, not single coil. Only two knobs and a 3 switch pickup selector at the bottom of the guitar.
i like progressive rock
Quote by Starguard
I'm trying to identify the price on this thing.

It's this shape. Pure black gloss-no trim. 2 humbuckers, not single coil. Only two knobs and a 3 switch pickup selector at the bottom of the guitar.

I think your describing an epi special II. They sell for about 150$ new.
Quote by Starguard

Is it worth buying and upgrading?

Not really. You'd have to replace everything and the body is sometimes made of plywood.
Quote by bBreaker
Not really. You'd have to replace everything and the body is sometimes made of plywood.

It's telling my that it is laminated Alder/Maple...
i like progressive rock
laminated=plywood
Special Epiphone models do say Gibson on the truss cover..
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Special Epiphone models do say Gibson on the truss cover..

so does my sheraton, and some of the older epis. usually they either have the gibson trussrod cover or the E trussrod cover which looks like a cross between the sign for euros and the sign for the soviet union In soviet russia, epiphone buys you!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
better to start with a LP standard and slowly upgrade from there. like the low end squier guitars, it's hard to find a good epiphone special.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
All of my Epiphones except the Custom say Gibson on the truss cover.

As far as buying a Special to upgrade.... don't. They simply are not worth it. Not even the LP100s or the Epiphone LP Studio.
If you want a good LP from Epiphone, Standards, Customs, Elitist... those are the good ones.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I like GIBSON on the truss rod cover, its sort of the equivalent of "by Fender" on a Squier. But for whatever reason GIbson has stopped putting their name on epi guitars so if you want the GIBSON name you have to buy it, there is one seller on ebay offering this product, its about $12 plus tax.