ok well I need something in the way of halfstacks for really small gigs. and im not really sure what to get.

I play lots of death metal, hardcore, metal, rock, metalcore, lots of system of a down, metallica. stuff like that

I take people who suggest MG's as a joke .

I cant exceed the price of 500$ (anything below it would be amazing)

I was thinking a blackheart little giant halfstack

Crate FlexWave Series FW120HS 120W 4x12 Half Stack

epiphone valve jr halfstack

Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack

or

Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack

any other suggestions would help greatly =)

thanks!

~GxT
Last edited by GuitaristTrue at Aug 3, 2008,
i'd keep saving for something better since most half stacks in that range are solid state. you could get a nice tube combo for that money though.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Aug 3, 2008,
you dont need a half stack. You could get a nice, fairly loud combo for that price like the blues junior. What style do you play?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
If you have to get one of those amps (because you can't get any more funds or for whatever reason) I'd say the Randall would be your best bet out of the rest.
yeah, you don't need a half stack to do small gigs.

it also depends on what type of music you play and whether or not you can go used.

Edit: Ooops. Beaten. 4 responses asking the same question at once. LOL.

I know the Valveking gets a lot of flack but it can do most genres and is pretty versatile for a 50 watt, all tube, $400 amp.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by edusty2010
If you were willing to save a bit more, I suggest the Bugera 333XL Tube combo in my sig. It's $700, and it's about as loud (if not louder) than almost all of the halfstacks I've played...

beat me to it
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by GuitaristTrue
I play lots of death metal, hardcore, metal, rock, metalcore, lots of system of a down, metallica. stuff like that

I have a feeling you'd like the bugera then. It's seriously got gain out the ass.

You can get a cheaper version of the amp for $50 less if you're that strapped, but the XL is really worth it.
then i would save up more and find a used peavey 5150/6505 combo. Havent tried bugera amps

Just go try before you buy
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
get a combo. half stacks in that price range are like throwing your money away. You could get a good combo amp that would suit your needs for that price. 50watts of tube power is enough for anything you'll probably ever need, trust me.

Some suggestions I would give you are the Peavey Valveking 112 (50 watts, all tube), Kustom Defender (50W all tube), or any number of Fenders depending on the style you play.
Kids, he plays metal, no way he'll get high gain out of a Fender without a distortion pedal.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by GuitaristTrue
well, I need something that would be pretty loud. Most combo amps around that price doesnt match up to the loudness of half stacks unfortunately. It depends on what combo it would be though.

You've never played a gig before have you?

First gig I played I used a 15 watt combo and overdrive pedal. It was loud enough to be heard. It was a pretty small gig, around 50-60 people, but it worked just fine.

Obviously its not going to look as cool when you're on stage, but cutting unnecessary volume and the cool factor of a halfstack for a more practical amp and better quality sound is something that you will appreciate in the long run. And trust me, from another guitarist's point of view, someone playing too loud on a cheap amplifier is never a good thing.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by GuitaristTrue

ok system of a down is nu metal and metallica is like...classic metal? idk

you don't need a half stack, none of those amps you mentioned will be able to pump out enough distortion by themselves. and when you do, it's going to sound like crap because those amps...are pretty bad.

get a good combo that can handle high-gain.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
For tone purposes, Metallica is thrash metal, in its own genre with bands like Pantera, Megadeth, etc.

When I think of the classic metal sound, I think of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Van Halen (though EVH's tone is an entity in itself).
I'd go with the Randall. You kiddies don't realize that tube combos in that price range really don't do his music. Honestly, a Blues Jr.? SS really isn't so bad, most people aren't tone junkies like you guys.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
How is your 130 watt amp not loud enough for you? (Not condescending, just curious)
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by GuitaristTrue
well, I need something that would be pretty loud. Most combo amps around that price doesnt match up to the loudness of half stacks unfortunately. It depends on what combo it would be though.

halfstacks are barely louder than an equivalent combo. they project a little better, thats it, other than that there's no real added volume/tone benefits - besides, you should care about tone more than volume - who gigs without a PA? you can easily mic up a smaller amp and get the volume you need - i've seen a band do this with a fender tweed champ, which i believe is 5 watts. and they sounded great.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Get a Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider half-stack for crushing, br00t4l distortion.

Standard response: you dont need a half-stack especially when ypu cannot afford a decent one. Get a tube combo and you can Mic it if needed for gigs.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by theacousticpunk
How is your 130 watt amp not loud enough for you? (Not condescending, just curious)

well its an accoustic amp no overdrive, no distortion, no special effects, hardly any reverb. my grandpa just gave it to me for free so i'd have to get some pedals to get some of the effects needed, thats what I might just end up doing and save lots of money in the long run, I would need an amazing overdrive or distortion pedal. I also have an effects proccessor that would help with it.

If I end up not getting a new amp I might just get some decent pedals, and use my digital effects proccessor along with it.
Last edited by GuitaristTrue at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by al112987
You've never played a gig before have you?

First gig I played I used a 15 watt combo and overdrive pedal. It was loud enough to be heard. It was a pretty small gig, around 50-60 people, but it worked just fine.

Obviously its not going to look as cool when you're on stage, but cutting unnecessary volume and the cool factor of a halfstack for a more practical amp and better quality sound is something that you will appreciate in the long run. And trust me, from another guitarist's point of view, someone playing too loud on a cheap amplifier is never a good thing.

no unfortunately, a hardcore band asked me a few weeks ago to be their lead guitarist, and they're saying that they have a gig in like a month or so, so I wanted to get the best quality I could before the gig.

sooo pretty much im a complete newbie at this stuff.

is there any slightly cheaper bugeras?
randall makes an ss stack for 499. Rx series I belive. Randall makes some good stuff I would check it out.
You can get the bugera 333xl which imo kills the 6262 and get you a cab to go with it. You can find a cheap cab with good speakers on ebay for cheap. The head will run ya about 600... say about 300 for a used cab. Cost a bit more than what you said but if you can save up 500 then you can save up more really just might take longer.
'Cheap' and 'halfstack' shouldn't be used together! No halfstack that is 'cheap' is worth considering really.

The cheapest halfstack worth looking at is going to be a Bugera (no experience, but i hear they are decent) or a Valve King.

Neither are particularly incredible!

Combo's are just as loud if they are equivalent wattage... Why would you consider a Blackheart or VJ if its a 'half stack' you are looking? As far as being a 'stack' they are pathetic...

A 30ish watt valve combo like a valve king or bugera is about the best you'll get for $500. And it would be almost too loud for a gig unless you're playing a very large venue.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I use my bugera over my peavey 6505. I just really like the tone of the 333xl. I hear the build isn't as good but i havent had no problems. I agree about the black heart and VJ. This isn't what the guy is looking for. I know everyone says get a combo but im kinda like this guy when i started playing shows i got a half stack and have had many since. of course I never liked the sound of 2x12's being pushed.
I own the RX series Randall, and I must say that I am not really liking it so far. I've had it for a few months and it was a rather spontaneous purchase that I now regretting. My advise is too take the little extra time and save for something like the 5150. I know it's a hard thing to do, but that little extra effort goes a long way. I am in the process of selling mine in order to fund my purchase of a 5150 combo, which is what I should have done in the first place.
Quote by GuitaristTrue

Not to hate on you, but please don't ask for advice then make a false statement which contradicts most of the reccomendations... it's just so ignorant.

Anyway... ebay a 5150? boosted classic 30, Traynor ycv series etc.
Those bugeras sound quite promising too.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by aznrockerdude
Kids, he plays metal, no way he'll get high gain out of a Fender without a distortion pedal.

No one suggested Fender after he said what he played, get your eyes checked mate.