ive been learning theory since i started guitar 5 years ago, and ill probably never stop learning about it, so the answer is a long time.
-GEAR-

-Ibanez SZ520
-Fender Standard Mexican Tele
-Specter Legend 4 Bass
AMPS
-Crate GLX212
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Fender BLX 220
i've been learning theory for the last 8 or 9 years and im sure i don't know anywhere near enough.
all my life.
still learning!
theory is one of the only things i LIKE learning about....other than guitar.
i think im pretty advanced in theory knowledge.
not so much in guitar lol
Um I know pretty much all the major/minor theory (chord formations and names, intervals, scale patterns, modulating, blah blah etc.), and it only took me like 8 months or so, but that was a college course and a book from amazon. I need to get back into it, because the more you know, the more potential you have to be better, and I've spent too much of my 5 years playing just noodling.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
what are some good lessons on this site that i can start with?

i really want to learn this stuff
Been learning actual theory for only about 2 years, but there's still a ton for me to learn. Next step, counterpoint!

Edit: Start with this. But, DON'T READ THE WHOLE THING STRAIGHT THROUGH!!! Every time someone goes to this link, they complain about it being too advanced. No!!! You just didn't take the time to understand each section before moving on the the next. It's split into parts for a reason. Read the first part. If you don't understand it, go back and reread it. If you still have questions, go back and reread it; see if your questions are answered! Do not move on to the next section until you have a full understanding of the previous one.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Aug 4, 2008,
Since I started learning theory, which I'd say was roughly 8 years ago. Much like Mr. Matches, I doubt there will be an end to the process.
ever since i started violin, four years ago, and you never stop, so if you're thinking about lessons/books/etc, start as soon as you can, it's invaluable.
lilboyineblue22 wrote:

IVE GOT ONE AND THE SUBTLENESS OF IT IS WHAT I LIKE

Curb stomp.
Quote by ManInTheBox77
thanks a lot
im gonna look at that lesson

No problem

Happy learning!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
hell yea

and what if i get stuck at one section and cant get passed it??
which hopefully wont happen
Quote by ManInTheBox77
hell yea

Why, go back and reread it of course! If you still don't understand it, maybe you need to back to the previous section and reread that! But if you followed the directions properly, this shouldn't happen.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by ManInTheBox77
what are some good lessons on this site that i can start with?

i really want to learn this stuff

Have a read of the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the Columns section too - certainly read the first one for the time being.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have been learning theory for a while yet and the fun thing is that as soon as you think you know something, you discover something new and you have to start learning about it. It just gets more and more interesting and you keep going deeper and deeper.
Quote by ManInTheBox77
hell yea

Then either ask us or find some other sites....the crusades (search for it in columns) and http://www.musictheory.net/ . If you could correlate a little bit from each site then you shouldn't get stuck too bad. And if you do get stuck, lay off it, and sleep on it. See if it looks better the next day.

EDIT: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns is the link for the crusades
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
Quote by ManInTheBox77
how long did it take to learn everything you know?

jus curious
You'll never stop learning, and you'll never stop wanting to learn, because you'll probably need 90% of the music theory you learn.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I've been learning theory for a few years now, ever since i started taking my guitar playing seriously really.

I could always learn more, but as of now i know enough to play what i want to play
I've been learning just about a year and I've got the basic stuff covered, but just realize it's going to be a never-ending journey. It's great to understand theory, and keep in mind that it'll only help you grow as a musician.
In all seriousness, about a month. I got addicted and read every book and online resource I could, and learned pretty much everything I know now *shrug* I haven't learned much since, except maybe some exotic modes and a little on cadences.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
It took me about six months to learn enough theory to compose, but I've been learning theory religiously for two years and I've just scratched the surface.
Learning theory is a never-ending process - seriously.
It's like, even if you get a PhD in a certain field, there's still more knowledge out there, such as obscure, rare concepts, indigenous to exotic locations, etc. Like, if you learn Western theory (which is what most of you learn), there's still stuff like Classical Eastern theory, which has been around for way longer than Western.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.