Hey, I have a peavey classic 30 and lately, there's been a sound coming out of it all the time (not just when I"m playing, hell, I don't even have to plug in) that sounds like wind or kind of like fuzziness. I've messed with the EQ, and when I have everything at 0 then the "windy" sound stops, but when I put any of the knobs up it comes back. Thing is, it doesn't come back equally, when the bass is up, it's not bad, when the mid is up it's kinda there, and when the treble is up it is there in full swing.

Playing with no eq sounds like crap! Do I have to replace the EQ pots or something? I have new power tubes, and not really old pre tubes, but could it be that they don't like each other (the pre tubes are three different brands)?

Any help appreciated
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
replace it.. its just gonna give u more problems and will cost u more money down the road.. thats wat i would do..
Did your amp make that sound before you changed the tubes?
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by hardhitter77
replace it.. its just gonna give u more problems and will cost u more money down the road.. thats wat i would do..

replace what? the tubes or the amp?

did you purposely put different branded tubes in and did the problem then start as mentioned.
to hardhitter: WOAH! dude! did you seriously just tell me to buy a new amp because it makes some ambient sound??! somebody needs to stop living off his parents and learn what money is worth. Oh yea, and that it DOESN'T grow on trees.

To everyone else who is actually being HELPFUL (much appreciated):
I cannot remember if it made this "windy" sound before I put the hodgepodge of pre tubes in it, but I know it has always made this calm buzzing noise (different from the windyness), especially after it's warmed up.

Tomorrow I will put the old pre tubes in it and see if the "windyness" persists.
By the way, it still makes that buzzing now, but it's not a big deal, and I don't mind it, nor do I think it signals anything major is wrong.

My biggest concern is that the EQ changes the quality of the windyness, which means that something is not right in the EQ, which MAY be the tubes, I don't know, like I said, I will try all Mesa pre tubes tomorrow (all the power are new JJ's) and then we'll see if that helps

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
i sometimes get the wind or whooshing sound and i always attributed it to the effects loop and just tweaked the EQ until it went away. You problem sounds a little more serious as it seems to do it alot and more loudly.

Let us know how things shake out after swapping things around tomorrow.
Quote by strat212

My biggest concern is that the EQ changes the quality of the windyness, which means that something is not right in the EQ, which MAY be the tubes, I don't know, like I said, I will try all Mesa pre tubes tomorrow (all the power are new JJ's) and then we'll see if that helps

I don't think it means there's something wrong in the EQ. It just means that the noise is coming from a circuit stage which is BEFORE the EQ, and that the noise is broad spectrum (like white noise) so each filter in the EQ section has some affect on it. The EQ in a Classic 30 is just a simple tone stack. There's not really much that can go wrong, other than the occasional dirty pot.

This sounds like a problem with one of the preamp tubes. Even a dirty tube socket can cause this sort of noise. I've seen amps with dirty plate pin sockets on a preamp tube that made a sizzling sound like someone was frying bacon. Try jiggling the preamp tubes before you swap them out.
ampsurgeon (awesome sounds official): Ok, I'll jiggle the tubes when I put my old pre tubes back in

Zoso: I don't have anything running in my effects loop, and the amp makes this same noise when I plug straight in, so I don't believe it's the effects loop.

In a couple hours I will report back with the sound of the new pre-tubes.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Ok, so I put in the new tubes and the windyness is pretty much gone, although the buzzing noise (not terrible, you don't notice it while playing, but it's there even when the volume on the guitar is off, but NOT when the volume on the amp is off)

Anyway, windyness almost gone, but I still don't know what was causing it so that I might make my amp totally free of it. also I don't know what is causing the buzzing (kind of like a hum) because I'd like to fix that too.

Something interesting happened when I plugged one cable from Effects send to Effects return, a loud buzzing noise occurred. (I don't use the effects loop, so maybe this happens on all the amp when an idiot like myself runs one cable from send to return)
Also, a LOUD buzzing noise occurred when I put a pedal in the effects loop, maybe the effects loop is broken? note: this was the same style buzzing as when I put in the cable straight through with no effects but much louder, which leads me to believe that the effects loop may be broken

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Last edited by strat212 at Aug 4, 2008,