Im trying to speed up my playing - focussing now on alternate picking techniques etc.I have seen a lot of places where its recommended that such techniques are best practised on a clean tone.I thought I'd do better and tried them on my unplugged ( electric,ofcourse ) guitar.But when I try the same stuff,at the same speeds plugged in- though my pciking is really clean,I kinda sound messed up on the fretting hand.Which now has me thinking - If im gonna gig plugged in,should'nt I be practising it the same way ? Any thoughts ?
It's best to play it clean because distortion hides the flaws in your playing. Its best to teach yourself how to fix them while you're learning the technique.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
no ur right ts u should do BOTH.

im sick of everyone sayin 'only practise clean'

yes u should INITIALLY practise clean to get the riff/lick down till ur comfortable. HOWEVER, then u should practise it on a MILD distortion to make damn sure ur not making any excess noise and finalise the sweet sound u could get from it.

playing with distortion after u have 'mastered' the riff will instantly show u have it down pat because any excess noise will show up very clearly on gain settings.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
^ This

No matter how you'll be playing it live or recorded, it's really best to be able to play clean no matter what. Best way to clean up your playing is to play "clean" so all of your flaws are out there for you to hear and find a way to correct them.

After all, again no matter how you're playing, wouldn't it be best to KNOW that you have it down no matter what?
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by bigtimmy
no ur right ts u should do BOTH.

im sick of everyone sayin 'only practise clean'

yes u should INITIALLY practise clean to get the riff/lick down till ur comfortable. HOWEVER, then u should practise it on a MILD distortion to make damn sure ur not making any excess noise and finalise the sweet sound u could get from it.

playing with distortion after u have 'mastered' the riff will instantly show u have it down pat because any excess noise will show up very clearly on gain settings.

well seeing that you cant spell practice and you own an esp ltd, you probably dont know what your talking about,
also because precticing clean is the only way to perfect anything you want to play.
IMO It's best to use an amp with mild distortion and have the eq and guitar setting on a higher tone because lower tones tend to be muddy and harder to... decipher.
Get into having a practice uh... set. Such as parts of songs that rely heavily on the alternate picking technique. So go from medium difficulty (not easy unless you just need somethin to warm up with), and continue from there.
Use songs such as "11th Hour" and "Laid to rest" (by Lamb of God) to get your fingers movin and your pick jumpin, then move to "Fight fire with fire" (By Metallica), just for constant pick technique and pattern change. Finally use a song such as "Operation ground and Pound" (By Dragonforce) to speed things up.
Don't get me wrong these are just suggestions, i dont know how far along you are, but this is an example of what i do to speed things up and most importantly do things correctly.
Each song has a different technique that can be used to improve your guitar playing.
After you've gotten through your set, try using a 3 chord progression at a fair speed and make attempts to throw some fills that sound good to you (NOT SOLOS, FILLS) after you begin to feel comfortable, you can incorperate other techniques to liven things up.
Remember it takes practice, so don't go tryin' to learn somethin crazy overnight.

Hope this helps, i'm making the attempt to become a music teacher
Oh I forgot when you get more comfortable with throwing things in go ahead and throw the gain and effects in.

"...when they ask me how do you do that, I say 'I don't know', But just remember
If it sounds good it's good..."
Yngwie Malmsteen
what to practice: beginners guide to shredding tab (search it)

how to practice: memorize it to the point where you can play it without thinking aobut what comes next, and play up to that point clean/unplugged. if you play with high gain like i do, you NEED to practice with your normal setup, i.e. plugged in with gain on and everything. you need to do this so you get used to muting the strings and such.

(i know this because i have been in your situation)