Does hand size effect your ability to play certain styles?

For instance people like Hendrix and Steve Vai have massive hands and tend to play pretty fast whereas people like David Gilmour and John Mayer have regular sized hands and play slower with more definition to each note.
Maybe it's just their personal taste...
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
You know what they say about big hands.

What? John Mayers hands are huge.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Quote by Floyd93
Maybe it's just their personal taste...

Really - there are just so many arguments against the original observation.

also, I was expecting thinly veiled innuendo
Well buckethead has GIANT hands...
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by jeff541
You know what they say about big hands.

What? John Mayers hands are huge.

Yeah John Mayer is pretty tall.

I'm not sure, but I imagine Randy Rhoads had pretty small hands, and he could play fast.

Also if this kid can play fast, I don't see why anyone else can't.
john mayer isnt that tall, and his hands average for his height i met him in new york ..
I don't think that hand size tends to matter too much for playing fast bcause you tend to play fast higher up the neck( I know, not always) where the frets are smaller and even the smallest hand can easily move around.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by Regression
Also if this kid can play fast, I don't see why anyone else can't.

That kid was on Late Night the other day, blew my mind.
Big hands have only really ever gotten in my way, on anything shorter than a 25.5" scale guitar my fingers get cramped together on the really high frets so it takes me a little longer to be able to really nail fast solos. I can do pretty large stretches but that doesn't really ever make that big of a difference for me.

On the other hand, I've never had small hands so maybe it is a lot easier for me and I just don't know it.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
I'm a big dude and have bigger hands than any one i know and I play slow with definition
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
TS, i think it's in err to state that Vai doesnt have definition in each note lol. For a person to "talk" with a guitar, that's a pretty defined use of notes...
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
my hands are pretty damn small . Just makes stretching my fingers across the neck a lot more difficult. for scales or other riffs i just have to move around a lot more than most people do
Quote by SGMAN911
john mayer isnt that tall, and his hands average for his height i met him in new york ..

Really? I read he was like 6' 3" somewhere.
Quote by pwrmax
Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it.

uh huh huh huh huh...
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Paul Gilbert has gigantic hands as well. But I suppose his is mostly that he has fingers as long as most people's arms.

I guess I have kind of average sized hands, but then again I'm of pretty messed up proportions. Rather, my hands are probably a little big for my arms, but are far too small compared to my legs and feet. That and my fretting hand is substantially larger than my picking hand.

I also play on a 25 1/2 scale Strat, because 24 3/4 tends to feel straight up wrong at higher frets.

I think speed is more of a coordination thing than a hand size thing, because IIRC Gilmour doesn't play as slow as he does because he can't reach - instead because he can't get either hand to cooperate with the other well enough. I think that's what it was anyway, it was in some interview.
Quote by RudiVanDiSarzio
Does hand size effect your ability to play certain styles?

For instance people like Hendrix and Steve Vai have massive hands and tend to play pretty fast whereas people like David Gilmour and John Mayer have regular sized hands and play slower with more definition to each note.

I have massive hands, but they aren't fat, which benefits me a lot. I like to use them to my advantage by doing things like bringing my thumb over the top of the neck and muting/playing notes. I'm also able to play certain chords and reach for certain notes that would be near impossible for people with smaller hands.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
if larger hand size could build note speed, wouldn't guitarcenter be selling giant foam fingers?

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24