Alright, so after a lot of searching, I think I've settled on the Mesa Dual Rectifier head. I'm not sure which cab I'll be pairing it with yet, but there were just a few questions I have for the Mesa experts before even getting to that step...

My main question at the moment is this... I've realized I don't need a Triple Rec, but want more than the Single, landing me at the Dual. However, while I have an idea of the varying sounds of the 3-channel, I don't know anything about the 2-channel at all. How does that differ?

Also, and I know some people will call me crazy, but the only other real competition for my purchase of the Mesa Dual Rec is the Krank Revolution. Granted, I haven't been able to play one in person (and I would of course do that before ever buying one), but I've heard some great tones come from them. On the other hand, though, I've found people either love or hate them, and often without much explanation on either side as to why.

Any help is much appreciated.
I would go for the 2ch unless you really would have use for the 3 channels. If you are talking about the straight up lead OD sound, the 2ch just have sounded better to my ears. I've owned 2x 3ch DRecs, a 2ch TRec, and got extensive playing time on another 2ch TRec. I spent a lot of time trying to dial in my other Rectos to sound like that 2ch Trec my friend had, and I didn't get there until I got my own 2ch TRec. Tighter, punchier, and less of that fizz that can be very hard to dial out in the Rectos. I'm not sure what changed, but I definitely have gained a preference for the older 2ch versions. I haven't even played the a "pre-500" model though, which are the ones people really seem to covet.

As far as the Kranks, I really like them personally. There are many that don't, it's just preference. Recto is probably a safer bet if you can't play and hear one in person. The new + series are pretty badass amps IMO however. I own a Krankenstein+ actually, and I love that thing. Tight aggressive metal tone, with a very cool snarl to it. Of course, versatility wasn't big on my list when I got it, lol. Definitely worth playing yourself however, don't discount them because some people don't like them. A lot of people don't realize they are even hearing them on albums they like, Sneap used them a lot on his productions.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Hmm, interesting. Thank you.

As badly as I want a Krank, I may go for the Mesa first (whichever one I do get) if for no other reason than they are probably a more versatile amp. Which is something that's pretty important for me right now, as it'll be my first really good amp.

And as far as the 3-channels go, the modes I tended to like the most were most all of the cleans on channel 1, but out of channels 2 & 3, I liked channel 3 modern the most.

Assuming Channel 1 is relatively the same on both amps, how does Channel 2 on the 2-channel compare to channels 2 and 3 on the 3-channel?
I think the added channel was the Ch2 on the newer 3 channel versions, Ch2 modern on the older ones is closer to ch3 modern on the newer ones IMO. If you are really diggin the 3ch version though, you may not need to bother with an older one. It was only subtle differences, but ones that I'm just very picky about. It might not bother some people at all.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I would go for the Krank simply for the reason that the Mesa rectifier amps crave to be played passed 11 o'clock. I dislike the normal rectifier sounds, but when dialed correctly the Rect-O-Verb and Trem-O-Verb sound really good.

Most high gain tube amps sound great at low volumes regardless, but the rectos I find really do require the volume to get the best tone. I think the sweet spot is in between 12-1 o'clock.

That, and unless you get a R/TVerb, I just prefer the Krank sound.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Hmm, thanks guys.

I'll really have to try them each out to death before making a final solution.

So far, the only problem I'm finding with the Mesas is exactly what's been said. They tend to sound best when played really loud. And honestly, as awesome as that is for gigs, it's not something I need all the badly. And honestly, it'd be a pain whenever I'm not using it for an actual show. Not that I mind playing loudly, but simply due to real world living situations, that can be a problem.

After playing around, I'll come back with updates, as I much appreciate your guys advice.
Last edited by Delanoir at Aug 4, 2008,