I would like to put one of these combos on my ibanez because I want to get a verstile tone similar to john petrucci's tone in the 90s, especially his tone on Images & Words. I know he used the Steve Special/Air Norton combon in the 90s but I heard somewhere that he used the Tone Zone and Humbucker from Hell on I&W. Can I get the tone I want out of the Steve/Norton and is it a better setup for what I want or should I get the tone zone/humbucker from hell?
Quote by SCopeland24
I would like to put one of these combos on my ibanez because I want to get a verstile tone similar to john petrucci's tone in the 90s, especially his tone on Images & Words. I know he used the Steve Special/Air Norton combon in the 90s but I heard somewhere that he used the Tone Zone and Humbucker from Hell on I&W. Can I get the tone I want out of the Steve/Norton and is it a better setup for what I want or should I get the tone zone/humbucker from hell?

Air Norton and Steve's Special is a nice pickup combo in a basswood guitar. More importantly though, John used the following amps to record the album:

*Triaxis 2/90 (dirty)
*Roland JC120 for cleans.
*Marshall preamp was used for "Metropolis Part 1"

The Air Norton/Steve's Special combo is important in achieving part of John's tone. The other is obviously some very high end tube amps and if you are trying to achieve his exact tone over multiple albums, this gets very expensive and challenging.
Well I have a B-52 ST-6012 and its pretty much a poor mans mesa so I have no problem in getting a high gain tube amp I just want to know if the Tone Zone/Humbucker from Hell combo was used by Petrucci to record I&W and if that was a better choice than the Steve Special/Air Norton that I am already thinking of getting.
The HfH would be a better bet for those shimmery clean tones on Images and Words, but conversely I'd take the Steve's Special over the Tone Zone in the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a Tone Zone/Air Norton combination and I have to say its awesome.

Dunno how close to Petrucci it can get, I've never been a fan, but it is amazing for leads. Very versatile aswell.