Higher amount of popular musicians per capita in UK and Canada than the US?

Page 1 of 2
I was thinking about this while reading an American music magazine. There were quite a few artists from Canada or the UK in the magazine. Also, I can think of many more artists from the UK than from the US.

Considering the fact that the US population is over 300 million, while Canada's is about 34 million, and the UK's is about 60 million, would it be safe to make this assumption?

If so, why?
sup?
1) If the UK and the US had the same number of musicians, the rate of musicians per 1000 people in the UK would be greater, because of the smaller population.

2) British music is "in" now.

3) What's popular in england often becomes popular all over europe, and that might cause a more significant impact on the US than something which is just popular in the UK alone.

4) Mostly just reason number 2

EDIT: also, the UK has produced a lot of bands that a UGer is likely to listen to. American music that is popular worldwide is mostly RnB. There's also emo, although that's not as widespread. The UK has given a lot of indie bands recently, which have become popular on both sides of the pond. That might be a reason you can think of more UK than US bands.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 4, 2008,
A lot of you don't understand what kind of music is on the mainstream out of Britain though. Just because your favorite band is from a country, that doesn't make that country's music awesome. Trust me; it's not all good
Quote by sashki
EDIT: also, the UK has produced a lot of bands that a UGer is likely to listen to. American music that is popular worldwide is mostly RnB. There's also emo, although that's not as widespread. The UK has given a lot of indie bands recently, which have become popular on both sides of the pond. That might be a reason you can think of more UK than US bands.

British indy is awful. There is as many haters as lovers for the genre in this country.
sashki is right

If US has 300 people and lets just say 1 million are in a band (probably not accurate but just go with it) then that would mean that 1 in 300 people are in a band

and if UK has 1 million people in a band but olny 60 million population that would mean 1 in 60 people would be in a band

and canada would be 1 in 34

im pretty sure my band members number is wrong but this is just a example

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by Craigo
British indy is awful. There is as many haters as lovers for the genre in this country.

With the exception of Franz Ferdinand, I find it boring as ****.
The UK also gave us Chavs. Innit.

I was just saying that indie is guitar-oriented music, which is more likely to be appreciated on UG than RnB or "Crunk".
uk music does **** all for me. most of the music i love comes outta massechussetts.......i'e metalcore and hardcore.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by blair30
Fixed.

Damn Americans thinking England is the same thing as UK.

Could you please explain to me the difference between BRITAIN and ENGLAND?

The UK is Scotland, Wales, Britain and Northern Ireland, right? Or is it England? What's the difference?
Quote by sashki
Could you please explain to me the difference between BRITAIN and ENGLAND?

The UK is Scotland, Wales, Britain and Northern Ireland, right? Or is it England? What's the difference?

Britain is the island of Scotland, England and Wales.

The UK is the United Kingdom of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Quote by sashki
With the exception of Franz Ferdinand, I find it boring as ****.
The UK also gave us Chavs. Innit.

I was just saying that indie is guitar-oriented music, which is more likely to be appreciated on UG than RnB or "Crunk".

Chav is a European thing.

And yeah, you got a point there. If you say that the majority of British music is more instrument or arrangement originated, that makes a lot more sense.
Quote by blair30
Britain is the island of Scotland, England and Wales.

The UK is the United Kingdom of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Americans always forget the Welsh, even though they have their own language

Loads of people often say England instead of Britain because 83% of the UK's population is English and the main Government is situated in London.
Quote by david_safc
British music is currently disgusting.

Muse
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Maybe it's just that english record companies are more willing to accept the kinds of things people have to offer. Like the Ting Tings. I don't think they would have made it anywhere in America.

The indie scene, I dunno what it's like in the US, but in the UK, it can get you pretty far. That's how all the previously mentioned indie bands became as popular as they are today. In the US, it seems that if you get signed to an indie label, you probably won't be known beyond the fanbase of your particular genre.

Who here knows the Swingin' Utters? [everyone raises their hand] Ok, maybe that's a bad example.

So therefore, you're more likely to become popular in the UK, because of the community.

THAT'S ONLY MY THEORY. NOT ACTUALLY TRUE.
there hasn't been a decent metal band to come out of the UK for years
Sig space available, give me some praise
Nice disclaimer

And nah. The indy scene is surprisingly not so big, it's just that small bands were picked up and made big because the labels saw a lot of money to be made.

The smaller scenes are slightly worse than America from what I've heard. Not a lot worse though and they're still awesome.
A million new guitars are sold in the UK every year at the moment. That's pretty damn high for such a small country.
Quote by smb
A million new guitars are sold in the UK every year at the moment. That's pretty damn high for such a small country.

The UK isn't THAT small. We are small, but, looking at the rest of Europe, we're slightly above average in population. Just because you Americans insisted on being land greedy and populated to five times as many as us doesn't make us small
Quote by Craigo
The UK isn't THAT small. We are small, but, looking at the rest of Europe, we're slightly above average in population. Just because you Americans insisted on being land greedy and populated to five times as many as us doesn't make us small
I'm not "you Americans"...I live in Cornwall.
Quote by sashki
like BATTLEWITCH

Who aren't death or thrash but who cares?

Never heard of them

Wait there a second.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=248485552 (check out Rager on their player, they're from my town)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=47495243

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=121957992

Just some random things I found using the power of google.

I do particularly like these guys. Their older stuff had two vocalists and they were immense live.
It really makes no difference, although I do know a ton more about underground stuff going on in the US which is really cool. Anybody care to enlighten me on some of the UKs underground scenes?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by StreetLight3989
It really makes no difference, although I do know a ton more about underground stuff going on in the US which is really cool. Anybody care to enlighten me on some of the UKs underground scenes?

Check out my post and do your own work net surfing.

There are some good local area forums around in the UK as well which helps spread love.

EDIT: Looking at your favorite artists, I wouldn't think you would be interested, but meh.

The great thing about UK metal is that, once you throw out the generic stuff, it sounds more raw to me than American stuff for some reason.
Quote by Craigo
Check out my post and do your own work net surfing.

There are some good local area forums around in the UK as well which helps spread love.

Alright thanks, I'm sure there's some great stuff going on, I just don't really know about it because well, I'm from the US. Yeah, I'll definitely check some UK stuff out. Also, just out of curiosity, do you guys have any folk punk over there?
or you could **** it all, and become famous in japan without trying
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by StreetLight3989
Alright thanks, I'm sure there's some great stuff going on, I just don't really know about it because well, I'm from the US. Yeah, I'll definitely check some UK stuff out. Also, just out of curiosity, do you guys have any folk punk over there?

I love my folk punk but my favorite folk punk bands are mostly Canadian.

There is very little punk over here. Hardcore punk has got it's scenes here and there, but anything else with punk is slightly limited which is unfortunate.

We have some folk artists with punk influences though. Maybe something like Al Baker?

And don't worry dude. I know there's stuff going all across Europe, but I don't know as I'm English
Quote by akack
UK music has always been the best.

well let's not over exaggerate, i mean Britain has produced most of the greats (the Who, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc) these guys were generally inspired by popular music from the US in the 50s

i would say it's kinda like the US started the whole thing (rock type music) but the Brits took it on and ran with it
Quote by dgme92
Muse

Well there are obvious exceptions like Muse, Viking Skull etc... but in general, its turd.
Quote by david_safc
Well there are obvious exceptions like Muse, Viking Skull etc... but in general, its turd.

tbh its doing alright for itself, better than the 90s when there were no shows to go and see at all

in the UK now there is pretty much a good choice of music across the genres- although since 'indie' is rather popular (as is 'post-hardcore') they are generally more abundant
Quote by Craigo
The UK has got an awesome death metal and thrash scene which most people ignore.

This couldn't be more true.
Quote by Craigo
I love my folk punk but my favorite folk punk bands are mostly Canadian.

There is very little punk over here. Hardcore punk has got it's scenes here and there, but anything else with punk is slightly limited which is unfortunate.

We have some folk artists with punk influences though. Maybe something like Al Baker?

And don't worry dude. I know there's stuff going all across Europe, but I don't know as I'm English

Haha, Al Baker seems pretty cool, yeah, it's kind of weird because here in the US folk punk and pop punk are going pretty strong right now.
England has many more good musicians. America has the ghettoes, gays, whiny teenage girls, an abundance of synthesisers, money-hungry studios, and MTV.
Owner of the Murder, She Wrote club
Quote by LP Addict
Quote by Vinyl_Master
Oh, finish the guitar, then spill whiskey and coffee on it. Lock in dank basement for several years, enjoy.

don't forget feces. i always get that on my axe somehow.
In my own opinion, I think America produces more quality music which is of good standard whereas England produces alot of sh*te along with the occasional amazing revolutionary band.

That must be confusing.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Page 1 of 2