I'm looking to buy a new Fender Strat and checked in the guitar store and they've got like 3 shelves of basically the same guitar. I don't want a real expensive (1000+) one and i'm sort of looking at one of the Classic Player or American Standards. I want just a normal standard good quality strat and like the sound of john f's 62' stratocaster, but i've heard the classic player 60's has a really flat fretboard which i'm not too keen on, does the 50's classic player have the same flat fretboard, or a normal one? Also what colour will attract the most chicks? maple or rosewood, sunburst or which flat colour?
well ive heard good things about the highway one, and it has a 'bucker in the bridge, so if you want to go a bit heavier you can.
i couldnt tell you what strat colour would attract the most chicks, since im not one. hah, but i do think the londe yellow, creme white, and the tobacco burst strats a sexy. but i dont think the highway ones come in that colour, id have to check on that.

EDIT: yes the highway one does come in the 3 way sunburst, but personally, i feel in person, the highway one looks better as flat black.

check out the non-bucker highway ones too.
the honey blonde looks smexy.
ive also played it personally, compares to a 62' strat.
hope i helped. =]
Last edited by metulkult at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by stratocasterram
I'm looking to buy a new Fender Strat and checked in the guitar store and they've got like 3 shelves of basically the same guitar. I don't want a real expensive (1000+) one and i'm sort of looking at one of the Classic Player or American Standards. I want just a normal standard good quality strat and like the sound of john f's 62' stratocaster, but i've heard the classic player 60's has a really flat fretboard which i'm not too keen on, does the 50's classic player have the same flat fretboard, or a normal one? Also what colour will attract the most chicks? maple or rosewood, sunburst or which flat colour?

Guitar is not for getting girls.
Classic Player 62 is nice, Older Highway Ones, and the 50's player are good... Maple fretboard all the way, and whats better then a sunburst strat?
If you want a vintage neck radius, and save some money, check out old Japanese Stratocasters, either Fender or Squier by Fender (in the '80s they were basically the same quality, but Squier were Japanese guitars made for export and normal Fenders were for domestic market)

A good Fender Squier from '82-'84 is as good as Highway One (if not better), they have 7.25 radius, and were built on the original schematics of either '57 or '62 Strats, so they are precise reissues of those. Like Classic Player Strats but better Check out Squier JV or Squier SQ series, these are the best ones.

EDIT: Oh, I've just noticed that you like the sound of Frusciante's Fender '62, just like me I think that Fender/Squier JV '62 would really suit you, I can get godly RHCP tones out of mine. The tone of wood is great, and you can always change the pickups with the spare money.
Last edited by zombiak at Aug 4, 2008,
Well, you can't really go wrong with a Classic Player 60s Strat for RHCP. I don't advise getting one with a humbucker for John's sound, you can't have anything too fat for it.

And if you're not too sure about that 'flat' fretboard you were talking about. I've never heard anything about it like that. And if you don't want one, you should get a CP 50s or a American Standard.

In Sunburst. 'Cause it rocks.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Well, you can't really go wrong with a Classic Player 60s Strat for RHCP. I don't advise getting one with a humbucker for John's sound, you can't have anything too fat for it.

And if you're not too sure about that 'flat' fretboard you were talking about. I've never heard anything about it like that. And if you don't want one, you should get a CP 50s or a American Standard.

In Sunburst. 'Cause it rocks.

Fretboard radius. Classic Player '60 has 12' neck radius, which means that the fretboard is pretty flat, which is great if you like speed and bending. Fender American Standard has a bit different 9.5 radius, better for chords and stuff. Vintage guitars had 7.25, which is really comfortable to play but you have to set your action pretty high (well, I'm used to it so it's not that high - 1.5 to 2mm) to be able to bend strings, otherwise the sound will muffle.

That's why I advice you to get a Japanese '62 RI, they are really precise replicas, including 7.25 radius, pickups with staggered pole pieces, very comfortable neck etc. Probably the best reissues ever made (except Custom Shop and American Vintage series)
Quote by zombiak
Fretboard radius. Classic Player '60 has 12' neck radius, which means that the fretboard is pretty flat, which is great if you like speed and bending. Fender American Standard has a bit different 9.5 radius, better for chords and stuff. Vintage guitars had 7.25, which is really comfortable to play but you have to set your action pretty high (well, I'm used to it so it's not that high - 1.5 to 2mm) to be able to bend strings, otherwise the sound will muffle.

That's why I advice you to get a Japanese '62 RI, they are really precise replicas, including 7.25 radius, pickups with staggered pole pieces, very comfortable neck etc. Probably the best reissues ever made (except Custom Shop and American Vintage series)

Heh, I never noticed that much difference when I played them.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
It's all up to you. I'm fairly certain MIM and MIA Standards can come in an HSS configuration (as well as others I'm sure).

Now, why would you want to attract chicks with your guitar? Okay, that was dumb, obviously we all know why, but it's not the guitar alone. If I were a girl, I'd be more attracted to playing skills than the guitar itself. Something pretty helps though, I guess. I like white finishes with maple fretboards.
i just got my reissue 62 strat. So SO SO awesome. and the fret radius to my hands is very obvious.
i have the classic players 60's and its AMAZING

i don't find the fretboard to be too flat, but i don't have alot to compare to
lol@u
Quote by XianXiuHong
Guitar is not for getting girls.

ohh but it can be
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
ok thanks guys, I think I might get the Classic Player 60s in sonic blue after playing with it a bit more. Really good deal, better sounding than the Americans with the Custom Shop hardware.