Alright, so as I mentioned in my other thread, I'm currently deciding between a Mesa Dual Rec and a Krank amp. I really like both from what I've found, but I need a bit of help from anyone who knows a bit about Krank amps.

Originally I was looking at the Revolution, but I've been hearing about the Krankenstein.

What's the difference between these two amps?
You should just buy two, and then with a sledgehammer, a screwdriver and a roll of duct tape, make them into a monster amp... MWUAHAHAHA!!

Edit: Sorry if I'm not helpful, just felt like saying it.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Aug 4, 2008,
Check the reviews on here or harmony central, if you want versatility, go for the Mesa Boogie, are you gonna buy new or used? Also have you given Engl a whirl? There's an Engl dealer in Sherman Oaks if that isn't too far you.
The Revolution and Krankenstein are pretty similar, with Krank amps it's pretty much all the same fare, lots of gain, some more gain, an impossible top end, and more gain.

The high frequency output of Krank amps in my experience is a real issue, whilst it's a big help when you're playing large venues and need to cut through a boomy mix, any other time, it just sounds overly harsh. That said, it might be just the tone you're looking for. But no matter what sound you're after, the Mesa will do it as well, if not better than the Krank.
I appreciate the advice, so thanks for that

The only real problem I have with the Dual Rec is that the volume needs to be pushed a bit for it to sound good. And outside of shows, while I don't mind playing loudly, it can be a problem with my living situation.

I still need to give Engl a shot.
Quote by Delanoir
I appreciate the advice, so thanks for that

The only real problem I have with the Dual Rec is that the volume needs to be pushed a bit for it to sound good. And outside of shows, while I don't mind playing loudly, it can be a problem with my living situation.

I still need to give Engl a shot.

Last time I checked, Rectifiers had a master volume, so you can drive the **** out of the amp and still keep the overall level down. But it's been a while since I've recorded or played through one, so I could be wrong.

Basically the Krankenstein is a Revolution that's been slightly altered to make a Dimebag signature amp. It's really not that different. So if you decide on a Krank amp, I'd just go for the cheaper of the two because tone-wise, from the bands I've heard playing them, they are almost identical, just the Krankenstein has slightly more gain on the lead channel.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Last time I checked, Rectifiers had a master volume, so you can drive the **** out of the amp and still keep the overall level down. But it's been a while since I've recorded or played through one, so I could be wrong.

Basically the Krankenstein is a Revolution that's been slightly altered to make a Dimebag signature amp. It's really not that different. So if you decide on a Krank amp, I'd just go for the cheaper of the two because tone-wise, from the bands I've heard playing them, they are almost identical, just the Krankenstein has slightly more gain on the lead channel.

If that's the case with the Mesa, and I would be able to play with a great tone without cranking the volume (go figure) then I'd pretty much be sold.

And the only difference I know of about the Krankenstein, aside from what you've mentioned, are supposedly a "warmer, more buttery" clean tone. Which is what tempts me about it. But if there really isn't that much of a difference, I'd be happy to go for the Revolution instead.
I myself would go for the either of the Kranks, I'm not much of a fan of the loose low end of the Mesa. I prefer the tightness of the Kranks.

It all really comes down to preference though.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by HandsomeFrank
I bought my Krank in May--I'm selling it now.

Hope that's helpful advice.

Considering you give no explanation as to why, not really.
Quote by HandsomeFrank
I bought my Krank in May--I'm selling it now.

Hope that's helpful advice.

no it isn't at all helpful...
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
A Laney, the VH series probably.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
A Laney, the VH series probably.

Thank you for stating the obvious, I am well aware that using a Laney similar to that which Opeth use would clearly give me a similar sound.

That doesn't answer my question.

I was wondering which amp, between the Krank Rev/Krankenstein and Mesa Dual Rec, would be able to get closer to that. The reason being, like I said, it's not the only tone I'm going for. But it's one of the most important. Otherwise, I'd just get a Laney.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Theres a good Guitar World Demo of the Krankenstein you should check out and if I remember correctly he tells you the differences...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5663865137248359773&q=krankenstein&ei=Tk2XSI_3AYiOrwKqttzmBQ&hl=en

Thanks, that's really helpful.
I was wondering which amp, between the Krank Rev/Krankenstein and Mesa Dual Rec, would be able to get closer to that. The reason being, like I said, it's not the only tone I'm going for. But it's one of the most important. Otherwise, I'd just get a Laney.

Then name all the tones you want.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
If you like the Mesa but you don't want to deal with the volumes at home, why not get an attenuator?

That way, you can give her some juice while keeping the overall volume down.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Then name all the tones you want.

Fair enough... The most important tones to me are:

1. A cleaner, heavy tone like in the Opeth video I just linked. Similar to this, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XcWeB5oohY

2. A good high-gain, heavy metal tone. Something similar to that Gothenburg melodeath sound. Even newer In Flames is a good example (even if different from that original sound), like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g-ZUMao4Ww

3. Something more alternative rock-ish. Not quite clean, but not too gritty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG294M_kYWM

4. And this one is a stretch, and not quite as important, but if possible... cleans that can be a bit blues-y, like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drzB10osFA0

Keep in mind I'm just trying to find good examples of tone, regardless of the music.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you like the Mesa but you don't want to deal with the volumes at home, why not get an attenuator?

That way, you can give her some juice while keeping the overall volume down.

Hmm... interesting.

How well do those work, and cost?
Last edited by Delanoir at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by Delanoir
Fair enough... The most important tones to me are:

1. A cleaner, heavy tone like in the Opeth video I just linked. Similar to this, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XcWeB5oohY

2. A good high-gain, heavy metal tone. Something similar to that Gothenburg melodeath sound. Even newer In Flames is a good example (even if different from that original sound), like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g-ZUMao4Ww

3. Something more alternative rock-ish. Not quite clean, but not too gritty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG294M_kYWM

4. And this one is a stretch, and not quite as important, but if possible... cleans that can be a bit blues-y, like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drzB10osFA0

Keep in mind I'm just trying to find good examples of tone, regardless of the music.

Hmm... interesting.

How well do those work, and cost?

They work quite well, they don't alter tone too much. They go from 100-200 bucks.

I'd lean away from the Laney VH100R. I had one and the heavy tones leave much to be desired.

It was a noisy bastard too.
Quote by Delanoir
If that's the case with the Mesa, and I would be able to play with a great tone without cranking the volume (go figure) then I'd pretty much be sold.

And the only difference I know of about the Krankenstein, aside from what you've mentioned, are supposedly a "warmer, more buttery" clean tone. Which is what tempts me about it. But if there really isn't that much of a difference, I'd be happy to go for the Revolution instead.

A company like Krank claiming their amps deliver "warm and buttery" clean tones is loke somone at Fender reccomending a Fender Twin because it has "more gain than you'll ever need".

Nothing that Krank makes has really nice cleans on it. Both the Krankenstein and Revolution clean up rather well, but not with any real warmth or character. For lower gain and clean settings, the Mesa blows any Krank model away.
I prefer the Krankenstein out of the two, and over the normal rectos.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I'd go with the Recto.

But that's just my biased opinion. The Krankenstein is just fizzy to me.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by rwalby9
I prefer the Krankenstein out of the two, and over the normal rectos.

What do you mean by "normal" recto?

And for anyone who actually took the time to watch those examples I linked, do you think that the Mesa is the way to go there?

It wasn't until I already was looking into the Dual Recto, but I've been finding a lot of the bands whose tone I like (regardless of the music) also use Mesa. Most (but not all) use Dual or Triple Rectos, if not another kind of Mesa.
I would go with the Krank. I had played both of these amps at full blast and I found the krank to have a more pleasing midrange that sounded more like a metal tone. It was very pearsing on the highs and tended to blend with a crash and splash cymbles however. The Mesa is bassy and slushy and lacked definition. Trust me, Mesa is overrated as far as its high gain tones go. Both of these amps can benefit from and overdrive pedal. The better high-gain sound is definetly from a krank, however there are much better ones than krank.

However, on the high gain tone video you like. In Flames use 5150's and thats a moster metal amp. I would play that one too before you decide.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Last edited by Ubershall404 at Aug 6, 2008,
one never buy an amp espically in that price range without playing it first!
two, my opinion on kranks are pretty bad, very very harsh top end, The voicing of the amp is just like a SS amp, a whole **** load of gain with very little warmth and dynamics much like a tone you would get out of a 100$ digitech processor pedal....
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"