I know this sounds really dumb (and it is) but the way I dress now, nobody seems to take me seriously.

I like the way I dress, and to be honest I'm quite lazy with it but I really need to smarten up to make some decent first impressions on people.

Average day:
Jeans
Leather Belt
Some tee- Band top, probably.
Converse.

Not scruffy, not smart.

You can see me on my UG profile or here:
www.myspace.com/tim5891

Basically what can I do to smarten myself up?
My girlfriend thinks I'd look good in more shirts, but I think they look a little...pretentious? is that the right word? when worn casually, and they don't suit my personality- in my opinion.

and I am quite skint at the moment, so minimal cost is essential.

I would also like to keep my hair pretty long.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the ridiculousness of this thread.

Tim
Maybe avoid band t-shirts. As much as I love them, and as many as I own, they just look so tacky when their worn out places.
White, long sleeve collared shirt, straight cut bottom, not tucked in, sleeves rolled up to the elbows, top two buttons left undone. Black t-shirt underneath.

+1000 class.
2002 Epiphone Goth G400 SG
B.C. Rich Warlock custom
1986 Washburn RR2 Flying V
1991 Peavey Falcon II Stratocaster
Quote by Weybl Himself
Maybe avoid band t-shirts. As much as I love them, and as many as I own, they just look so tacky when their worn out places.

Yeah, I'm starting to cut down on them. I'm wearing more shirts with simple designs . e.g. an Oakley one I got in a sale.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
People don't ya like ya, thats there problem, where what ya want dude.

Up until recently I had the same philosophy, but now I need to make impressions for work and ****.
Quote by _Tim_
Up until recently I had the same philosophy, but now I need to make impressions for work and ****.

Where do you work? I never see a need to change the way I dress for that stuff.
If it's a job interview or something, sure, dress up real smart.

Otherwise, be as sloppy as takes your fancy. Anyone who objects, isn't worth bothering about.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Where do you work? I never see a need to change the way I dress for that stuff.

I don't, yet. That's the problem.

I'm going to moving 350 miles and I need to make the best impression possible on people.
Quote by _Tim_
I don't, yet. That's the problem.

I'm going to moving 350 miles and I need to make the best impression possible on people.

Why? I don't see the point in impressing people, but thats just me.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Why? I don't see the point in impressing people, but thats just me.

So...you're an employer. You'd give the job to a guy who looks like he hasn't changed his clothes in a week to someone who's smartly dressed?

A girl comes over at a gig and starts flirting, she's very attractive by the way, and wearing modest clothing. An equally attractive girl wearing revealing clothing does the same...who do you go for?
Quote by _Tim_
So...you're an employer. You'd give the job to a guy who looks like he hasn't changed his clothes in a week to someone who's smartly dressed?

A girl comes over at a gig and starts flirting, she's very attractive by the way, and wearing modest clothing. An equally attractive girl wearing revealing clothing does the same...who do you go for?

Dress up for employers, otherwise wear what you want the rest of the time.

Chick with modest clothing. I don't care for revealing cloths :P
aha I'd also go for the modest one but I was just trying to generalise
Quote by _Tim_

First one appears to be less of an attention seeker and is more likely to actually be genuinely interested in you
Kensai?
Ohemeffgeez0rz, I though you were banned!
Did you see the thread someone made about that?

Oh, and to TS, I always wear casual t shirts, never anything with a band logo. Or you could wear a regular shirt, long sleeve, with non-baggy jeans, and my personal favourite, a leather jacket. Works every time.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by _Tim_
I know this sounds really dumb (and it is) but the way I dress now, nobody seems to take me seriously.

I like the way I dress, and to be honest I'm quite lazy with it but I really need to smarten up to make some decent first impressions on people.

Average day:
Jeans
Leather Belt
Some tee- Band top, probably.
Converse.

Not scruffy, not smart.

You can see me on my UG profile or here:
www.myspace.com/tim5891

Basically what can I do to smarten myself up?
My girlfriend thinks I'd look good in more shirts, but I think they look a little...pretentious? is that the right word? when worn casually, and they don't suit my personality- in my opinion.

and I am quite skint at the moment, so minimal cost is essential.

I would also like to keep my hair pretty long.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the ridiculousness of this thread.

Tim

All I wear are black band shirts and jeans.. and black Airwalks. No belt. I kinda look like a junkie xD..

But no, keep the way you look. Don't let anyone tell you how to dress .
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
dont bother. most misconceptions are broken within 10 seconds of speaking to some one. so just talk to whoever you need to. be rational, sensible,and be human, not an image.

heck, i sell small animals for a living. i get customers walking up to me (i dress similar to you) in the street and just start chatting. to me, thats proof that ppl are willing to ignore stereotypes.
With band t's, the only ones you can get away with that look remotely smart is the simple beatles shirt.

With that, wear a black suit jacket over it .
You can wear Jeans with that too, looks good.
/ gayness....
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
There's a reason God invented the tuxedo t-shirt...
Last edited by Gigatiran at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by Gigatiran
There's a reason God invented the tuxedo t-shirt...

Genius
Actually in all honesty just buy a black dress shirt, they aren't all that bad.
1: Converse are for teh little kiddies
2: Lose the band shirts. You don't need to advertise what bands you like/that you are a musician

I'm gonna get **** for the converse thing but hey, that's what teh little kiddies do.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
1: Converse are for teh little kiddies
2: Lose the band shirts. You don't need to advertise what bands you like/that you are a musician

I'm gonna get **** for the converse thing but hey, that's what teh little kiddies do.

1. The band tees are starting to work their way out of my wardrobe.
2. I like converse.
Quote by _Tim_
1. The band tees are starting to work their way out of my wardrobe.
2. I like converse.

1. Good.
2. I like wollypops and flicking my food around but I don't because I grew up.
But hey, if you like them then wear them. It's just that you said you wanted to make a good impression on people and in my opinion converse don't do that.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
1. Good.
2. I like wollypops and flicking my food around but I don't because I grew up.
But hey, if you like them then wear them. It's just that you said you wanted to make a good impression on people and in my opinion converse don't do that.

Well, I don't think converse make a bad impression. But on the other hand, formal shoes are better for making a good impression.

I just think converse can be smart looking whilst being casual...and mine were cheap: £30 off in a sale...they were a tenner!
I'd stop with the band t-shirts. A lot of people won't like the bands you do, so if they see you wearing an Iron Maiden tee when they don't like them, it's not a great first impression is it?

EDIT: Just seen the other answers. Wear some cool brand stuff like me Atticus, Rock Steady, Lowlife...
TK MaXX
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by Tom_hatton
I'd stop with the band t-shirts. A lot of people won't like the bands you do, so if they see you wearing an Iron Maiden tee when they don't like them, it's not a great first impression is it?

EDIT: Just seen the other answers. Wear some cool brand stuff like me Atticus, Rock Steady, Lowlife...

Already do that- I have a couple of Atticus tees, a smart element one a vans one and a cool Oakley one.
I only have 4 band tees left
3 political sattire tees
a JD tee and some other stuff.

It's all so expensive, though
Quote by _Tim_
Already do that- I have a couple of Atticus tees, a smart element one a vans one and a cool Oakley one.
I only have 4 band tees left
3 political sattire tees
a JD tee and some other stuff.

It's all so expensive, though

not in TK MaXX
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by x0rsist
not in TK MaXX

Don't know where my nearest is. I might just go to Primark >.>
Quote by Mad-Season
White, long sleeve collared shirt, straight cut bottom, not tucked in, sleeves rolled up to the elbows, top two buttons left undone. Black t-shirt underneath.

+1000 class.

Bloody hell, you just described me. +1000 class for me then