Hey guys, i've looked and I haven't found a topic on this so yeah.

Anyways, how often should I change the strings on my electric guitar? I've had it for around 11 months and up until now (I just got my tuner machines replaced as one broke off ) I hadn't even thought about changing them. Also what brand of string should I get? I'm thinking about some d'Addarios but i'm not quite sure.

Thanks,

Pho3niXnz
I've been lazy and haven't changed them for about 3 months now
otherwise its generally every month or so
(gigging musicians with guitar techs can afford to do it every week or even every gig...)

D'Addarios are good....generally its a thing a personal preference, try some different brands and see what you like the feel/sound of/what lasts longer/etc...
I prefer some super slinkys
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Elixir strings can last quite some time. I've had some on my guitar for 4 months now, and they still sound fantastic.
i havent changed mine all that much, but i dont have the money to do so right now ( i know its cheap but i still cant afford to). i know i havent changed my guitars since i got it in march, but i want to get an auto stringer so they actually look like how factroy strung guitars look like, not where you have the loos string sticking out of the tuners. but brand wise, i would say d'addrios, but ive used blue steel (they werent blue to my dissatisfaction) and i mean if you really arent going to be playing any wehre but your bedroom or house (idk) just go get a 2 or 3 dollar pack at guitarcenter
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I don't change them too often really .. once every 4 months or so ?
Quote by seljer
I've been lazy and haven't changed them for about 3 months now
otherwise its generally every month or so
(gigging musicians with guitar techs can afford to do it every week or even every gig...)

D'Addarios are good....generally its a thing a personal preference, try some different brands and see what you like the feel/sound of/what lasts longer/etc...

Haha, i'm feeling pretty bad now. You said you've been lazy and it's been 3 months. It's been 11 months for me and I have never changed the strings on my guitar. Does it matter what style of music I play? If so, I tend to play more metal and heavy rock.

Thanks
depends how often you play.

i change them every time they feel dull, dirty and want to clean my fingerboard/body

usually every month, 2 months at most.

but i also change them a few days before gigging, or any other performance.

try different brands, but remember that if you change gauge, you might have to check out your action and intonation.

btw, i love the feel and sound of new strings, which is why i change so often for how much/how seriously i play.

and on a personal side note, i use ernie ball super slinkies, which i think are 10's
Quote by F8iscruel
i havent changed mine all that much, but i dont have the money to do so right now ( i know its cheap but i still cant afford to). i know i havent changed my guitars since i got it in march, but i want to get an auto stringer so they actually look like how factroy strung guitars look like, not where you have the loos string sticking out of the tuners. but brand wise, i would say d'addrios, but ive used blue steel (they werent blue to my dissatisfaction) and i mean if you really arent going to be playing any wehre but your bedroom or house (idk) just go get a 2 or 3 dollar pack at guitarcenter

Ahh, the new tuners I just got are automatic cutters so I don't think i'll have any problems with loose strings
Quote by Pho3niXnz
Haha, i'm feeling pretty bad now. You said you've been lazy and it's been 3 months. It's been 11 months for me and I have never changed the strings on my guitar. Does it matter what style of music I play? If so, I tend to play more metal and heavy rock.

Thanks

i think it only matters if you play really heavy stuff in dropped tunning or lower standard tunnings) like d standard c, standard, b standard, a standard, drop d, drop c, drop b, drop a, stuff like that you just need to get thicker strings so that when you tune them they feel like their e standard even though they are lower. other than that i dont think brands going to make a difference on style
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
One of mine will generally break if there over 3 months old so if they get older than that and i play i gig i could be in trouble especially cause stage nerves to tend to mess with your picking technique causing you to hit sloppier and harder. So every 3 months or so but for someone not playing much just until one breaks or they get rusty, i personally dont like brand new strings there too slippery for me so i tend to not want to change them very often.
Quote by Pho3niXnz
Ahh, the new tuners I just got are automatic cutters so I don't think i'll have any problems with loose strings

i hate you, haha how much were they?

also

what are the two methods for strings, i cant remember
ones got to do with boiling them in water then letting them dry in the sun but then their only good for one show.
and the others is something with vodka, but i dont remeber what it was for (not an alchohal joke its a serious thing but i cant remeber it)
but both are good for strings and playing
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by F8iscruel
i hate you, haha how much were they?

$120, though that's the NZ dollar so around... $85 US.
Because the dollar is almost free now, I usually buy strings from Ebay for like $5 which is 33% of what they cost here. Because it's so cheap, I usually change my strings every two weeks or so. New strings do sound better.
Quote by Pho3niXnz
$120, though that's the NZ dollar so around... $85 US.

thats not bad
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
thats not bad

I wasn't really sure if it was or not, they did have some for $35($25USD), but the guy who sold them said that they were pretty pathetic so I decided to go with the more expensive ones.
If you want good tone, once a month. If you don't care about tone, play'um till they break.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
i change mine at most every 2 weeks.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
this is rather subjective.
some people change their strings everyday (like eddie van halen).
i change my strings when their color change. i wipe the bottom of the strings every time after practicing and there will be dark brown-blackish stains (that's sweat, dead skin, and dirt i think). i change them when the stains become orange-light brown (i assume that's rust).
edit: that's like once every one month plus.
About once a month is what I shoot for. But really, they don't need changing until they start to get rusty and dead. Which yours most assuredly are.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by necrophilic
this is rather subjective.
some people change their strings everyday (like eddie van halen).
i change my strings when their color change. i wipe the bottom of the strings every time after practicing and there will be dark brown-blackish stains (that's sweat, dead skin, and dirt i think). i change them when the stains become orange-light brown (i assume that's rust).
edit: that's like once every one month plus.

They rust after a month? Weird. I do play quite a lot, around 2 or 3 hours after school and sometimes like 5-6 hours on a saturday and sunday and mine haven't started to rust. I think i'll just change strings for the sake of it since I haven't changed them yet and I want to get a fresh sound out of my guitar anyways.
Quote by solitaryshell90
Elixir strings can last quite some time. I've had some on my guitar for 4 months now, and they still sound fantastic.

agreed, i hate changing my strings so last time i did i put on some elixirs on and they really do last for ages and sound great.

so now i can still be lazy and sound good for longer