Ok, so I've got a gig coming up in September with a jazz fusion quartet (sax, guitar, bass and drums) and I've just about finished our setlist. We're playing at the local primary school, so it's going to be mostly kids under 12 and adults over 30 in the audience (mind you it's a fair, so they're not specifically there for us).
I've made sure the setlist includes a few things the adults know, but I can't think of any things to play that the kids would instantly recognize. I was thinking of the star wars theme, but thought that'd be a bit too nerdy
So, if anyone has any suggestions of fairly short songs we could play with those kids in mind, that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

And just so you know, here is what the set-list will be (I think it's going to be a half hour time-slot):
1. Birdland (by Weather Report)
2. need a song here
3. Look Around You (an original by me)
4. Peter Gunn Theme
5. On the Dot (another original)

Zomby Woof - Frank Zappa.

It'd be utterly mental ,but its not really short, nor would the kids recognise it...
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
do the theme song to some random cartoon thats on TV that little kids watch or the theme to a well known kids movie, like something from junglebook or lion king like simone and pumba
Bob the Builder theme.

A bunch of teachers covered it at my old primary school with a bunch of Blues Brothers songs.
Was an instant hit.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
Never mind the Star Wars theme...Cantina band song ftw!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Never mind the Star Wars theme...Cantina band song ftw!

Yeah, that's one of the ones I thought of actually.. except I don't think that many kids would know it I'm thinking more pop culture of today.

Quote by Veritas69
do the theme song to some random cartoon thats on TV that little kids watch or the theme to a well known kids movie, like something from junglebook or lion king like simone and pumba

Yeah, the TV theme kinda thing was along the lines of what I was thinking. Akuna Matata (or however you spell it) would be really cool actually, I'll suggest that to the other band members

Quote by burntfacedog
Bob the Builder theme.

A bunch of teachers covered it at my old primary school with a bunch of Blues Brothers songs.
Was an instant hit.

Nice suggestion, it'd be pretty hard to pull off without being really cheesy though. Again, I'll see what the other guys think.

If you're aiming to hit with today's culture, all you have to do is translate Soulja Boy into a jazz song.
The official Panamanian-Jamaican-Syrian-Canadian-American-Jew.

Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Spider III 120 Watt
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Quote by Blackflame47
If you're aiming to hit with today's culture, all you have to do is translate Soulja Boy into a jazz song.

Oh, for sure, that was the very first thing I thought of.
I'm serious about that btw.

But were definitely not doing it

Quote by pangui
Oh, for sure, that was the very first thing I thought of.
I'm serious about that btw.

But were definitely not doing it

Well that's literally what most kids like today. Rap, which has no guitar or anything interesting in it. Except drums. Or you can do an emo/modern rock/alternative or whatever you want to call that genre. Like that one band Panic at the disco or Fall Out Boy.

Hell, do something by Nickelback, everyone of their songs was on the radio, if people don't know that then that's sad.
I think I'm gonna try the Simpsons theme actually, since it has a sax "solo" in it already which I could extend. it would be tough, but I'll try it anyway.

Try the Halo theme song
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Pink Panther?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
^^ Halo theme song is sick. My band plays it in the middle of another song of ours, and it's always a hit.

I'd say you should try for Peaches en Regalia by Zappa. It's a totally sick song, even if no one will know it.