Hello. I've decided as a next guitar i might want a les paul epiphone. but im not sure it will suit my needs. I mostly play metal not much rock and some cleans but mostly metal. so is an epiphone with alnico pickups a good choice for me? As an amp i have a roland micro cube now but i might buy a different amp and a distortion pedal cos even a ibanez tbx15r seems to have better distortion than my roland...So i will probably buy the guitar first but for later as an amp what would you recommend that i can feel im playing a les paul and has good distortion.?
LTD EC-500
Les Paul styling but metal orientated

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Get a Les Paul and put new pickups in? Or the Zakk Wylde Les Paul?
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
Yea thats also a option but a epiphone (standart lets say) is not good for metal the way it comes out of box? should i change pickups etc. to make it sound metal?
you cna't get 'true' metal sound out of an epiphone, acept it, you'd be much better off gettin another make of Les Paul copy, the LTD EC-500 like Chrisiphone said would be a good choice
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
First of all: if it REALLY matters that much that you want a real LP, you should go gibson. Try to find a nineties studio for 600$ that plays well. This will be way (!!!) better than any epiphone in that pricerange.

Second: an epi standard out of the box is good enough for metal. You should be worried more about a good amp.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by bikerboyjosh
you cna't get 'true' metal sound out of an epiphone, acept it, you'd be much better off gettin another make of Les Paul copy, the LTD EC-500 like Chrisiphone said would be a good choice

PHAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: big lolage towards the 'TRUE' metal sound
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Making it sound metal comes from your playing and your sound, most guitars can sound metal essentially. But i agree to looking into some of the LTD EC range, preferably the 400 series and above.
LoL ok so if i have a good amp i can play metal...(I can already play with my ibanez rg321ex so epiphone should not be a big problem i think) Also I live in Turkey and the prices are 2x american prices and also i dont think i can find much used gibsons here. So i now have a roland micro cube. it doesnt have a bad distortion but i want better...a roland cube 30x would be better or a amp and distortion pedal and a cheap processor for other effects like chorus delay reverb?
If you want a more classic looking les paul (flame top etc) how about...
LTD EC-400
its more classic styled AND has decent pickups in which can do metal

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I want a real epiphone i will try to buy a good one thats ok for me. now i need help with amp and effects as i said above.
Quote by LP_CL
First of all: if it REALLY matters that much that you want a real LP, you should go gibson. Try to find a nineties studio for 600$ that plays well. This will be way (!!!) better than any epiphone in that pricerange.

Second: an epi standard out of the box is good enough for metal. You should be worried more about a good amp.

Even bigger phail. Why does everyone HAVE to get a gibson....... There are plenty of awesome guitars out there. An Epiphone LP can be good as well.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
Even bigger phail. Why does everyone HAVE to get a gibson....... There are plenty of awesome guitars out there. An Epiphone LP can be good as well.

Thats just my suggestion. IMO a good gibby LP studio smashes every epiphone in the <1000 category. He doesnt have to do that, but its a suggestion (and i think that every sane guitarist with a bit of expereance agrees with that). Sorry that i try to help.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by blind.quardian
Yea thats also a option but a epiphone (standart lets say) is not good for metal the way it comes out of box? should i change pickups etc. to make it sound metal?

Depends. I've got an old 2003 Korean-made Epiphone LP, and it's great for metal.
Quote by blind.quardian
Yes but what about the amp and effects for me??

A Cube 30 should do that fine. You probably won't need a distortion pedal (unless it's uer heavy) and the Cube will be good if you decide to experiment with different genres.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
What you think about gt10 processors? or even gt 8? my friend just got a gt10 and sent me some clips and its unlimited tones and effects and it seems to have good distortion. since im not a professional yet and im not having concerts would it be a good idea to get one?
Quote by LP_CL
Thats just my suggestion. IMO a good gibby LP studio smashes every epiphone in the <1000 category. He doesnt have to do that, but its a suggestion (and i think that every sane guitarist with a bit of expereance agrees with that). Sorry that i try to help.

I would disagree with the Studio beating all Epis, but atleast you're helping. I'm sorry was in a bad mood.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
no offence taken
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Plenty of people play metal with LPs. ESP is just a fad brand that'll be as hated in a couple of years as Dean and Jackson are now.
since when is Jackson hated? Everybody (well, offcourse not EVERY body, but alot of guitarists) loves em...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
since when is Jackson hated? Everybody (well, offcourse not EVERY body, but alot of guitarists) loves em...

They don't make enough 7s...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
LP's are extremely versatile, with the right amp, they can play pretty much anything
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
7 strings are the most unneeded guitars ever made imo

oh no, wait a moment. I change that statement:
8 strings are the most unneeded guitars ever made.

Ok, i know that a bassist is hard to find, but there are bariton guitars, and there is droptuning. So 7 strings? nah... You dont sound heavier when you have one string more.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by -Blue-
I'm just gonna reccommend an Epi LP Prophecy for you. They're more metal-oriented (have either EMGs or Dirty Fingers pups) and are still epi. The finish also looks pretty sweet.

And I do like the Roland Cubes, tough I've only used microcubes. I say go for it.

+1
Quote by mafropetee

I brought my electric to school w/ no amp and started playing it, and some guy was like "I can barely hear it, and it doesn't sound all cool. I think it's a fake guitar"

g e a r//
Epi Futura Prophecy FX
Epi G-400
Boss DS-1
Vox AD15VT
I've got an Epi Les paul standard and a Roland cube 30x and it can handle metal well just turn on the r-fier or the metal models on the amp and you're good to go . The good thing is you can play cleans and rock sounds too with it.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by LP_CL
7 strings are the most unneeded guitars ever made imo

oh no, wait a moment. I change that statement:
8 strings are the most unneeded guitars ever made.

Ok, i know that a bassist is hard to find, but there are bariton guitars, and there is droptuning. So 7 strings? nah... You dont sound heavier when you have one string more.

Quote by Dave Weiner
new ways of playing chords, extending scales, and writing original music.

Not all people use the 7th string for chugga chugga stuff...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^true. Shredding might be more interesting with 7 or 8 strings. But shredding is after r&b the most uninteresting form of music.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl