Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'm new to the forums (this is my first post) and this seemed like an ok place to put the thread. I'm entirely self-taught and am looking to improve at solos - I can play a few, but only really, really simple stuff, like the supermassive black hole or charmer (by the kings of leon) solos and I was wondering if anyone knows any solos that would be slightly trickier (but still fairly do-able) but at the same time not completely out of my league. Cheers
the first solo from orion by metallica is pretty good
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
There proably is a better forum for this but i'd say try "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi, it's quite simple but sounds awesome and involves quite a bit of moving around the neck.
Some AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, all those classic rock bands have fairly simple solos that have useful licks in them.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
The Crazy Train Solo was my first solo I believe. Master of Puppets is also very easy, although it seems difficult. The first solo is very simple, and second is easily do-able.

Edit: Crazy train was my first "advanced" solo. The double tapping thing at the beginning is a bit difficult, but the solo as a whole is very easy.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Aug 4, 2008,
try some Trivium solos. thoses were my first that i learned. and Atreyu's "Right Side Of the Bed" has a good solo for those new to solos.
I'd say you should learn your scales, then you can play your own solos.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.