Ok, before any flamers poke their nose in - yes, i know this amp is a piece of crap... but i got it a couple of years ago when i didn't know better.

Basically, i don't intend to upgrade amps for a while (until i have enough for a small watt tube)... or maybe a half stack (Say "you dont need a half stack" and your a .... -_-) ...i have a passion for deafening my neighbourhood and myself.

Anyway, for the time being i seek a little advice in the noise department lol. Basically, the spider has a built in noise gate (i think.. well you can hardly ****ing tell, it squeals like **** above 4)... basically, i cant play loud without turning the volume on the guitar down every time i'm not playing.... so would a pedal noise gate be the answer, or is this a big no-no with the spider? Been looking at the BOSS GLX NG-100.

All advice (well, constructive ) appriciated.

~C
Quote by Demonikk
ISP Decimator

I know they're the ****, but £100+ :/ . Not really worth it for a spider. :P
yea...spiders at uber high gain/volume do tend to squeal....umm that boss thing should work fine though. i have a boss ME-50 that ill actually run in front of my spider sometimes........welll............i take taht back....if you use the noisegate before all of your effects/overdrives/distortions then it wont be eliminating anything. you'd have to run it after your amp...somehow...
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
yea...spiders at uber high gain/volume do tend to squeal....umm that boss thing should work fine though. i have a boss ME-50 that ill actually run in front of my spider sometimes........welll............i take taht back....if you use the noisegate before all of your effects/overdrives/distortions then it wont be eliminating anything. you'd have to run it after your amp...somehow...

****, you have a point....
Just wondering, are you sure the built-in noise gate is turned on? I never had a Spider, but from what I've heard, you have to go through some kind of complicated process to get it to function.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I'm not sure how much difference a noise gate would make, if any - it's designed to kill noise that's coming from the things outside your amp, not the amp itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the spider 2 didnt have an FX loop on it im not sure if the spider 3 does or not. But if theres no fx loop then how you gonna use the ISP? Plugging it in before the amp will do no good.
also i used a spider 2 before i got into tube amps. I had to back my pickups off a little bit and don't use to much mids or gain... even the lows on that amp will make it squeal.
ew... i hate that squeal, too.

the only way mine didn't squeal when it was loud, is i borrowed my friend's 30 foot cable, and went all the way as far as the cable could reach, and it finally stopped squealling.... but that's a pretty stupid answer.

just lay back on the volume, or just use the metal option, 'cause i know mine only squealed when i had it on "insane".
O O

___
I own a spider 3 30watt and I recommend you just hold the strings in between the times you're not playing, that kills the squeal for me. Or you could also get creative and use the squeals in your music. (squeals + whammy bar + spider effects can get you some pretty interesting sounds) May as well make use of what you have