Hello

I'm now kinda confused at this part. I have a electric tuner. I was taught by some intructor 2 yrs ago that to tune my guitar all I need to really do is without fretting anything , hit 1 string and if the indictor goes on yellow its ok then go on to the next string and so fourth. Now someone showed me few days about 5th fret tuning. Where when I place my finger on the 6th string 5th fret it should be tuned so that the 5th string sounds the same and so on.

Now I know why the songs i try to play doesnt sound right. So my question is this, how do I use the electric tuner when doing the 5th fret tuning? Do i basically go down the strings holding 1 at a time on the 5th fret so i get the yellow indictor light for each one.

I know there is 1 string you go off to the 4th fret.

Hopefully I'm making some type of sense.

Thanks
Chris
yeah you pretty much have the right idea. but for this technique, the low E needs to be in tune to tune the rest of your strings. so it would go something like this:

5th fret low E -> A
5th fret A -> D
5th fret D -> G
4th fret G -> B
5th fret B -> E

also, if you strike high e open, it matches the pitch of low E and vice versa.

try and let the notes ring out so you can hear the similarity when tuning.

hope this helps.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
Quote by ct22
Now I know why the songs i try to play doesnt sound right. So my question is this, how do I use the electric tuner when doing the 5th fret tuning? Do i basically go down the strings holding 1 at a time on the 5th fret so i get the yellow indictor light for each one.

I know there is 1 string you go off to the 4th fret.

Hopefully I'm making some type of sense.

Thanks
Chris

you need not to do the 5th fret tuning method using an electronic tuner otherwise, you'll screw the whole tuning method. E-tuners are made for tuning open strings (spoon feeding) at frequency 440. The 5th fret tuning is used if you only have a single tuning fork where you would tune an open string to it and pattern all other strings from its 5th fret note.

for the 3rd string, its 4th fret note is then copied to the open 2nd string. Then pattern the open 1st string from the 5th fret note of the 2nd string.
Last edited by camotehead at Aug 4, 2008,