Hey,

So I bought a Line 6 Spider III 30 watt about 6 months ago. I had actually played the 75 watt version, but couldn't afford it at the time, so I just went with the 30 (without trying it), assuming it would sound the same as the 75.

Anyway, I like the metal and clean channels on the amp, but the crunch and insane suck. The crunch has NO treble whatsoever, and the insane is just a bunch of mush.

So, being that I only like 50% of the amp, I was going to get a new one. I was thinking about upgrading to the Spider III 75 watt (cause if memory serves me correctly, it sounded a lot better then the 30 watt).

However, I've seen on this forum that a lot of people hate Line 6. I find that somewhat strange as a) if you go to sites like Musicians Friends and look at the reviews, the Spider series has very good ratings. and b) Perhaps its just inexperience on my part (having not played through many amps), but I thought the 75 watt sounded pretty good!

So I'm just curious, why is it that the Spider series has such good consumer reviews on the music store sites I visit, but gets such a bad wrap around here?

PS Please don't flame me if you hate Line 6. I'm just asking a question, and earnestly want to hear what you guys think.

Thanks,

Matt
the roland cube series sounds better and is more reliable, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Because most of the reviews are written by people with very little to no experience with guitar gear, chances are the Spider is the first amp they're ever used or their first upgrade from a no-name practice amp. In the greater scheme of things it's not a particularly good amp and there's better options for the money. However, you also have to bear in mind what it is you're buying - you're at the absolute bottom end of the price range for guitar amps, whatever you get it's not going to compare to the kind of equipment used to record the sounds you're used to hearing.

Also, if I was running a retail website I'd be inclined to "misplace" any negative reviews for things I was selling
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^nice duck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Id try a Roland Cube if you want metal and clean,maybe a Vox of some kind...STAY AWAY FROM MARSHALL MGS!!!

And I don't know hwo you heard this,but the 30 and 75 watt versions are the same except ones louder.
meh
Quote by jj1565
^nice duck.

It's not a duck...it's a seagull
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

We at UG dont hate Line6, they make may great products, its just the spider models we hate.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Alright, I'll explain why a a spider is bad. Since it's at the lower end of the price range, the materials won't be good. since this amp is a modeling amp, the parts are more expensive to make (more advanced circuitry in the modeling part of the amp), therefore they'll be cheaper still. Cheap parts don't make good amps. Some modeling amps are quite good (Roland's CUBE series, Line 6's Flextone, Vetta, and HD147 amps) though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
A little bit off-topic, but for your upgrade if more volume is what you look for, I highly recommend the Vox AD50VT2-XL. Much better sounding than the Spider, simpler to use, and I love the tap button

After that, you should be moving on to full-valve amplifiers.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Hey dude, I have the 15w spider and love it. I get some pretty good quality sounds, or at least they are good to me. I tend to mostly play the clean and metal channels (lowish gain). I have no desire for insane. Anyway, just be careful of guys shooting down the Spider, I got some dud info on the amp from someone on here, I was on the verge of selling it, lucky I tried out the said info/set up at a guitar shop, had a chat with the guy in the shop and hey, the info from this forum was BS. Still have it and love it and play it everyday.
Now, as I play a lot of U2 stuff I will upgrade the amp next year to a Vox AD30 or AD50. Probably the AD50 as I want to jam and maybe gig, hence the 50w. That aside the Spider is class.

Have you looked at the Spider Jam???
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
if you're going to upgrade...look into the spider jam...spider amps arent for everyone...i personally like mine....i couldnt get the sound i wanted out of vox, roland, or any of the other modelers...i went through them all...so only you can decide which amp sounds best to you in your price range...beware the bandwagons on this site though...check out the line6.com forums...you can get great info from ppl who actually own the product and not everyone over there loves spider amps either...while i play with my pod a lot more...i still enjoy messing around with the spider jam...

PS....i only own the spider jam because i stole it off craigslist for $250 with fbv express pedal
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
^^lower gain tones is the area where the Spider is the most lacking. You might like it, but the Spider is a long way from being "class".

The info on ths forum regarding them is not BS, it's the opinion of a lot of people who are far more experienced than you are when it comes to guitar equipment.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^^^for the guy above me i hope
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
because there are better amps in the price range, dunno how much it costs but for £150 you can get a valve amp + od pedal which normally = better

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Brian_C
Hey dude, I have the 15w spider and love it. I get some pretty good quality sounds, or at least they are good to me. I tend to mostly play the clean and metal channels (lowish gain). I have no desire for insane. Anyway, just be careful of guys shooting down the Spider, I got some dud info on the amp from someone on here, I was on the verge of selling it, lucky I tried out the said info/set up at a guitar shop, had a chat with the guy in the shop and hey, the info from this forum was BS. Still have it and love it and play it everyday.
Now, as I play a lot of U2 stuff I will upgrade the amp next year to a Vox AD30 or AD50. Probably the AD50 as I want to jam and maybe gig, hence the 50w. That aside the Spider is class.

Have you looked at the Spider Jam???

90% of guitar shop employees know about as much as the average guitarist in terms of gear info. Their 'information' is basically their opinion mixed in with their desire to sell stuff.

would you ask a car salesman about the reliability issues a certain model had? so why would you ask an amp salesman about issues the amp has?

as a little practice amp the spider series is ok but I wouldn't bother with the bigger models
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by steven seagull
^^lower gain tones is the area where the Spider is the most lacking. You might like it, but the Spider is a long way from being "class".

The info on ths forum regarding them is not BS, it's the opinion of a lot of people who are far more experienced than you are when it comes to guitar equipment.

hi SS, I'm not trying to dis anyone or anything, I'm merely pointing out that the info I'd picked from here was BS/totally wrong. So basically, we should NOT take it at face value just because someone here says so. The only real way to find something out is trying it out in a guitar shop.

I don't pretend to know more than I do, I can only comment on my own limited guitar experience, covering 3 electric guitars, one acoustic, 3 amps, 7 FX boxes and a sh1t load of mistakes. But I'm more than happy with my little Spider 15w, it does what I want and I get pretty close to the sounds I'd want. So to me, that's Class!! Don't shoot me down for thinking my amp is class for it meeting my needs.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

Quote by Brian_C
hi SS, I'm not trying to dis anyone or anything, I'm merely pointing out that the info I'd picked from here was BS/totally wrong. So basically, we should NOT take it at face value just because someone here says so. The only real way to find something out is trying it out in a guitar shop.

I don't pretend to know more than I do, I can only comment on my own limited guitar experience, covering 3 electric guitars, one acoustic, 3 amps, 7 FX boxes and a sh1t load of mistakes. But I'm more than happy with my little Spider 15w, it does what I want and I get pretty close to the sounds I'd want. So to me, that's Class!! Don't shoot me down for thinking my amp is class for it meeting my needs.

You don't have to take UG seriously at all, we're just suggesting what WE think; it's not 'cause that's the right answer, or whatever... it's because we more than likely have experience with the product we're commenting on. Then you must consider who's replying to your questions... check profiles if you have to, to see if they seem like a good help (not the only way, but sometimes they have sound-clips up and stuff).

Also, you may be satisfied with your Spider, and that's fine, but plug into an even better amp and you'll be hooked. My friend actually just came over to test out my Traynor YCV50 Blue, and he was gonna steal it, after playing a Peavey Rage 158 and Spider II 30w for so long.

Also, to TS... you'd be better off with a VOX Valvetronix, or a Roland. Or a tube amp.
Quote by Brian_C
hi SS, I'm not trying to dis anyone or anything, I'm merely pointing out that the info I'd picked from here was BS/totally wrong.

what was the info that was BS?

if it's posted by one of the regulars on here it's generally accurate info.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
what was the info that was BS?

if it's posted by one of the regulars on here it's generally accurate info.

+1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's best to get a clean amp, and use pedals.

Because the pedals were designed specificly to do, what they're supposed to do and they do a pretty damn good job at doing it.
Hey everyone,

So on my lunch break I just went and tried out the Spider III 75 and a Roland Cube 60 at one of my local shops.

First, there is definitely a difference between the spider 30 and 75. The 30 only has 4 models, the 75 has 12. While I certainly didn't like all of the 12 models on the 75, I like enough of them (probably 6-8) to get a fairly full palette of sounds. With my 30, I only enjoy the clean and metal channels, which limits me.

I tried to Roland, and I'm surprised by how much I did not like it. Everyone around here says its a better amp then the Spider, but I don't agree at all. I thought the Roland sounded pretty bad... some of its channels reminded me of the 15 watt peavey practice amp I used to own... gross.

I'm going to head to another shop after work and try on the Vox Valvematic (if they have any).

In the end basically this is my dilemma:

I will likely never play a live show, and very rarely jam. 99% of the time I'm just playing in my house on volume somewhere between 1 and 4, or with headphones on.

Thus, I don't need, nor do I want to spend a ton of money on a huge amp. I realize they sound a lot better, but I'm just a hobbyist, and it's unnecessary.

So I want something that's small yet sounds half decent. I also want something that's versatile (I play a little bit of everything).

Finally, I was playing a cheap squire strat when I bout the 30 watt Spider. Since they however, I've bought a PRS SE Custom, and basically want an amp that does my new guitar some justice.

Is it ridiculous that I have a $700 guitar, and am looking for a $300-400 amp? lol

Seriously though... I'm not quite sure what I want to do. I will say though that I don't want a Roland Cube... wasn't impressed.

Thanks for all the responses though,

Matt
Quote by twinturboaudi
if you're going to upgrade...look into the spider jam...spider amps arent for everyone...i personally like mine....i couldnt get the sound i wanted out of vox, roland, or any of the other modelers...i went through them all...so only you can decide which amp sounds best to you in your price range...beware the bandwagons on this site though...check out the line6.com forums...you can get great info from ppl who actually own the product and not everyone over there loves spider amps either...while i play with my pod a lot more...i still enjoy messing around with the spider jam...

PS....i only own the spider jam because i stole it off craigslist for $250 with fbv express pedal

... Looking at your gear I doubt you could get any sound you'd want out of your amps.

If a Vox doesn't have tubes it's junk..... it's what makes the amp.
Quote by nan0
... Looking at your gear I doubt you could get any sound you'd want out of your amps.

If a Vox doesn't have tubes it's junk..... it's what makes the amp.

how could you possibly know what sound i want...or that im not getting the sound i want (which i am)..your response makes absolutely no sense
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
i got an idea. go to a music store, play EVERY AMP in your price range, if the amp you like the best doesn't have good distortion or somthing, get a pedal.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by metallicafan616
because there are better amps in the price range, dunno how much it costs but for £150 you can get a valve amp + od pedal which normally = better

Please tell me where!!!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i know but this guy seems to want a better metal tone?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
the best advice is to go play every amp in ur price range...and not just for 10 minutes...really play with it...then leave, go back the next day and see if it still sounds as good or as bad as you thought the previous day...it took me about 10-15 trips to the music store to really decide on what i wanted...and what works best for me...the worst thing you can do is impulse buy...good luck
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
to tom horn: you can get an epi valve junior for £74 and pod 2.0 for £84 and have almost any tone in your hands for £158

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
0KEN0, seems like you're doing the right thing anyway. Try another amp or two and go back to the one you like best, play it again, if you feel the same then odds are it's what you're after.

BTW: What music do you actually play most?
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

Quote by Brian_C
0KEN0, seems like you're doing the right thing anyway. Try another amp or two and go back to the one you like best, play it again, if you feel the same then odds are it's what you're after.

BTW: What music do you actually play most?

Ahh mostly like Muse, Rage, Audioslave, Queens, Chilli Peppers, etc.

However, I don't have an acoustic, hence why I want a nice clean channel.

I also break out the classic rock tunes every now and then, but I don't dig the "crunch" on my Spider 30, so I usually just end up turning down the tone and volume on my guitar on the "metal" channel to play such.

And to end it all off, I like to play a little metal every now and then too.

I went and tried the Vox Valvetronic 50 watt today. I have to say, I was liking some of the channels a lot. But it seemed I couldn't get as much distortion out of the amp as I would have liked. However, I didn't really know how to use the damn thing lol. It's by far the least user friendly out of the amps I've tried.

I also tried a Traynor DG60R. Honestly, I was liking the tones out of this amp perhaps more then any others I tried. But again, it just didn't have the drive to deliver a metal sound.

Perhaps I'll forget about catering to my occasional desire to play metal, if it gets me an amp that has a solid sound for all other categories.

Matt
Why not consider having a Marshall or Fender? Figure out what amp would get a better response w/ your guitar. Reviews can sometimes be a kind of hype. Honestly, I've tried some Line6 amps and its like a scientific calculator.
Quote by camotehead
Why not consider having a Marshall or Fender? Figure out what amp would get a better response w/ your guitar. Reviews can sometimes be a kind of hype. Honestly, I've tried some Line6 amps and its like a scientific calculator.

for solid state in this price range they are pretty bad.

TS, roland might not be your taste, and that's fine, but i cant in any way get behind spider quality or robot tone.

if you like the vox, then consider using the vox for the cleans you desire and put a distortion pedal in front of it to get some crunch.

a completely different way to go, and in about the same price range, would be a 5w tube amp and a few pedals.

after i got my epi Vjr, i stopped using other practice amps completely.

just a thought, good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Alright, so lets assume that I forget about the combo amps, and decide to pick up a pedal to handle my distortion. Any suggestions for a good distortion pedal? Perhaps something that can handle from rock to metal?

Furthermore, any suggestions for a decent amp that has good clean and slightly distorted tones, that would meld nicely with a good distortion pedal?

Keep in mind I'd like to stay around $500

On a completely unrelated note, I was watching a vox promo vid on their site last night... there was a part that said "... and this is my some major bands have made Vox their first choice..." and they proceeded to show bands like Nickleback and Simple Plan. That kind of my me question whether I want a Vox anymore Not really lol, but I do despise those bands.
With $500 combo amps is all you can really afford.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc