Hey, I've gotten used to basic open chords and I'm starting with Barre chords now. I learned the basic shapes from justinguitar.com and am currently practicing moving it around the fretboard. I have the notes on strings E and A memorized so I know the root notes and I know how to use octaves to learn the other strings.

I have been playing for 4 months but I really want to learn a song all the way through and have some fun instead of just practice practice practice all the time.

Anyways, how should I go about the barre chords? Should I practice switching between them with open chords or what? For example I find doing the E major barre shape on the 3rd fret G note easier than to do the open G chord and it sounds the same.
Is there a certain way of practicing them? I want to do it right.

Could somebody suggest easy songs that are more suited for rock/metal music too?

I've pretty much been following what steven seagull posted in my first topic a few months back when I first started :p
Open chords are more used for arpeggios. Barre chords suit for riffs and such. Many punk bands use those. You could try some Green Day or something. I'd also recommend the learn the name of the frets on the E string. So it's easy for you to find out where the move the shape to to get the desired chord
best way to practice is to make sure your notes are coming out clean. Its very easy to bend your index finger and mute some of the notes. try to use the side (boney) edge of the index finger for the barre, its has more strength. Learn the different variations of the barre chord. E.g major, minor, 7th, 9ths etc. theres not that much to them............if u know the root notes and variations then your pretty much set.
Yes. I strum pick out the notes to make sure they aren't muted and then strum again.
You should try to get as comfortable with one as you are with the other, they both have their uses and some things are more suited to certain situations than others.

You should have no problem busting through a few songs now - try...

Every Rose Has its Thorn - Poison
Highway to Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long, Dirty Deeds, High Voltage - ACDC
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Paranoid, Iron Man, NIB - Black Sabbath
Sanctuary - Iron Maiden
All Along The Watchtower, Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
Living After Midnight, Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try the rhythm part to Hotel California its. Bm,F#,A,E,G,D,Em using all barre chords then repeat (thats not he whole song but it will get you started) it uses the E Shape A Shape & Am Shape up and down the fret board gets you used to switching between shapes and moving them around, my guitar teacher gave that to me to help me out.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
Quote by Chiller2
Try the rhythm part to Hotel California its. Bm,F#,A,E,G,D,Em using all barre chords then repeat (thats not he whole song but it will get you started) it uses the E Shape A Shape & Am Shape up and down the fret board gets you used to switching between shapes and moving them around, my guitar teacher gave that to me to help me out.

I second to this one.
Quote by Chiller2

I don't understand the Bm and Em, why are they minor now? Is that the root notes? or is the certain shape what makes it minor? I'm confused.
Quote by Rave765
I don't understand the Bm and Em, why are they minor now? Is that the root notes? or is the certain shape what makes it minor? I'm confused.

In fact, the root key for the said progression is in D major. The F# can also be a dominant 7th. Its for the harmonic minor sound for the Bm.

For soloing, you can mess around using the basic minor or relative minor run on Bm or the harmonic minor version.
what i did is i played a barre chord like F for exsample then switched to a different chord all together like A or D Then i when and did another barrechord like F# and switched to a different basic chord and then just continued all the way down to the barre chord on like the 9th fret and did that a little everyday and BOOM i learned barre chords

an easy song that has a barre chord is Lonely september by plain white tees sort of a cheezy pop rock song but its good practise
Quote by Rave765

The Bm and Em are made using the Am shape so it would be Bm (Am shape 2nd fret) F# (E shape 2nd fret) A (E shape 5th fret) E (A shape 7th fret) G (E shape 3rd fret) D (A Shape 5th fret) Em (Am shape 7th fret) The Back to F# (E shape 2nd fret) Then you start over
My Gear

Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
another brick in the wall is a good strumming pattern that would help you with ur bar chords.
also
roxxanne by the police(upstroke)
thats all bar chords and wuold help you switch them faster
santeria by sublime also.(upstroke bar chords)
or maybe magic carpet ride by steppenwolf or any song by green day.
or try layla acoustic version, thats mostly bar chords, and you get into some cool ass chords like C#m7
imho, the best way to transition to barre chords is to play the open chords
(E, E min, A, A minor, C, etc), using fingering without the index finger.
this trains your other fingers to hit the positions easily and repeatedly.
then the only focus needs to be holding down the necessary strings at the barre.

hope this helps.

EDIT:
Quote by Rave765
the minor comes from a flatted 3rd. (third note in the scale)
Major chords (triads) use the first (root), third, and fifth tones of the scale they are named after.

for instance, an E chord is: E, G#, B.

lets look at a tab notation of the basic open E chord
i'll add the note name to the right, and the scale relationship to the right of that.

0---E----- Root
0---B----- Fifth
1---G#--- Third
2---E----- Root
2---B----- Fifth
0---E----- Root

an E min chord is: E, G, B

0---E----- Root
0---B----- Fifth
0---G----- Third (flatted)
2---E----- Root
2---B----- Fifth
0---E----- Root

make sense?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 8, 2008,

If your root note is on the E string the Em shape makes it a Minor just like the E major shape makes it major Same goes on the A string
My Gear

Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal