Poll: Which one should I go for?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should I go for?
Behringer Bugera 6262 212 (120W Valve)
4 13%
Laney GH50L + 2x12 Marshall cab (50W Valve)
27 87%
Voters: 31.
After spending the summer deciding on what amp to upgrade to (thinking if it's gonna last me a long while, I may as well get something as versatile and capable as I can), I've finally got it down to two -:
a Bugera 6262 212 combo at £400 (120W full valve)
or a Laney GH50L head with a Marshall 2x12 cab(probably a 1936 or 1922), about £625 plus cable (50W full valve)
I play blues, old & new style punk, 70's/80's rock, Hair metal, Nu-ish metal (Murderdolls/Wednesday 13 inspired), my own style's a mix of Slash, Mick Mars, Steve Jones and Acey Slade.
I would go for something cheaper and smaller, but I can't find anything that'd seem to do the job in a 30W valve form (U.K here, we don;t have a very stunning selection). I've included a poll with the thread.
Muchas Gracias in advance
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
The laney, and if you can find an orange for your price that might be even better
Go with the laney. they're amazing
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

Well the laney IS awesome, but you cant go from clean to dirty. Its not a true 2 channel amp so versatility is lost there.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by treflip
Orange Rocker 30 combo is in your price range I think.

Very much in his budget, especially used, mine was 420 quid but it might not have quite enough gain for him, i mean it has loads, but its still a little vintage in its voicing plus its not the most versatile amp
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
i love the sound of the Bugera 6262. i mean it shreds. but the laney will do those styles better IMO. i have had the GH100L head and it really rocks even though its a single channel head, but its very versitile in my opinion. great amp. i have never really been a fan of the EL34 tubes, but Laneys do them justice. great OD on the amp. perfect for that hair band 80's meatl and blues
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
^^ I meant stuff I could gig with(as part of a serious band) for a good few years from now, easy. I've been dodging it with an MG50 for a couple of years, but that'll never work - looking for something much more capable now I'm moving up from the 'Small town Rock N' Roll' that I've grown up on. I would've looked more at 30W combos, but none of the ones I can get hold of seem to be versatile enough (VE30's, the rockerverb, sound city SC30's, DSl401 etc. etc.)
TBH, the Orange is an interesting idea, but it is a little too vintage sounding - The brightness of the vintage sound is handy though, just not what I'm looking for - besides, I can always pick up a pedal a while from now anyways, but the main grunt's what I'm after.
Seems the Laney's popular choice so far - Nice for everyone to input .
(Just thought I'd answer back to you guys who've posted so far - Y'know, niceties like that )
and at the guy with the MG10 line
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Last edited by Korzack at Aug 4, 2008,
Laney wins here.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by PendulousThread
Very much in his budget, especially used, mine was 420 quid but it might not have quite enough gain for him, i mean it has loads, but its still a little vintage in its voicing plus its not the most versatile amp

Saw a guy get a Killswitch Engage tone out of it using an MXR 10 band and a Maxon OD, so it could do what he wants.
Quote by treflip
Saw a guy get a Killswitch Engage tone out of it using an MXR 10 band and a Maxon OD, so it could do what he wants.

Quit lying.
IMO, the rocker 30 is too vintage to do full out metal.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Quit lying.
IMO, the rocker 30 is too vintage to do full out metal.

actually by using that maxon OD he could really kick up the tone from vintage to modern. Belive it or not the guys in killswitch use an ibanez tube screamer and apparently from an article i read they use a maxon OD to brighten the tone of their amps and such.
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

bugera is pro worthy.
explain yourself rwalby9! im not trying to be a dick ,but do explain yourself.
the 6262 has amazing distortion and good cleans...there not amazing but they are good none the less
Quote by caskettheclown
bugera is pro worthy.
the 6262 has amazing distortion and good cleans...there not amazing but they are good none the less

Imo, pro worthy means good enough that you would not need to upgrade. Only sidestep. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by caskettheclown
bugera is pro worthy.

Because pro's can get the gear that sounds better through endorsements (or simply paying for it outright) and don't need to resort to budget amps. Their most expensive item they sell (single item) is $699.95. For the average musician looking for an amp to gig and record occasionally, that would work.

Bugeras will get you close to the higher end sound for not much money, that's why people buy them. They don't want to pay for pro gear, and they certainly don't have to. Most people don't need "pro" gear. There is a reason they make amps that are hand wired or built at an extremely high quality, because pros expect to sound the absolute best they can in the studio and live. Pros look for amazing sound, not "good none the less sound".

My idea of pro gear is something you'd find in the mid to upper ranges of brands such as (but not limited to) Mesa Boogie, Framus, and ENGL.

Play a Bugera head to head with something like a Framus Cobra, and you'll know the difference between budgeted gear and pro gear.

I'm in no way saying that Bugera gear is bad (albeit not my cup of tea), but its not pro gear.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by caskettheclown
bugera is pro worthy.

I wouldn't say good cleans. Pretty decent distortion. The quality and reliability is just not there. The Laney is much higher quality, and will sound better in basically every style of music the OP listed except if you play like metalcore, or deathmetal or something. The Bugera is a metal amp, and the OP plays blues, punk, rock, etc.
Go for the Laney. Amazing amp.

I can get a nice clean sound by having the gain on about 4 and rolling the volume back a little. To get a more high gain sound, I turn on the drive switch and have the drive level at 5-ish. Also I use my DS1 and TS9DX for a bit more tone and gain versatility.
The Laney GH series is outstanding IMO. They're fantastic amps, and really well priced.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!