At the moment, I just can't seem to get any better, I've platoed. Also I don't have the motivation to learn anything new all the way through which is another reason why Im not imrpoving, and this just makes me angry and sad as I love playing guitar and it fills a big part of my life, which i couldn't live without. and I seem to always want better equipment (which is natural I guess) but as my playing isn't improving its just getting me down.

lol another note, my 2nd guitar is really dissapointing me in almost all areas at the moment, I want to when I have the cash to improve it with pickups etc but I dont know if i do that if it'll make me alot happier with the guitar itself. and dont get me started on my spider :P

yeah sorry for the wall of text, and I can't really explain this very well, but any suggestions on getting me out of this block would be very very useful
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Which guitar do you want to invest in?

And try getting a better amp first.

If there's no songs you want to learn, try learning some theory =] excercises are always fun.
im in the same rut. just keep practicing, maybe find some new music. broaden the horizons or whatever, because one thing that kind of helped was to find a new band, a new level of talent so that mkaes new goals. also, when i have money im gonna get lessons, start from scratch. the whole self taught thing only got me so far lol.
Just pick a song that challenges you a little, but that you know your still going to be able to get down perfect after awhile.
I was feeling the same way you are, so I just started learning 'One' by metallica all the way through, and now that I can play it perfectly from start to finish, it's kept me motivated even though it's not realy a difficult song. Now I've moved on to 'Crazy Train'
my point though...just pick a simi-challenging song for your skill level and learn it all the way through.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Sell all your guitar, and amp. Get better amp, and one or two guitars. I suggest one with a floyd rose or Edge (not cheap tremolo) this would make it fun to play because the trem is fun to mess around with. And one fixed bridge, maybe a schecter C-1 plus, classic or blackjack or even a strat with good pickups. A tube amp that has 3 channel, clean, rhythm, metal. Get all of them used of course The DKMG is good, but you can get something better for cheap
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
yeah thanks for the ideas, they will definatly help me.

and regarding the gear, i think I might have to get a better amp (perhaps tube combo as i don't think id get a head and cab up my stairs :P) a 7 string, and maybe even a new 2nd guitar instead of my les paul, or do you think putting new pups and doing the action etc will make it the guitar I want it to be.

and to angeldef, I don't think I need to get rid of my DK, I really like it. but I agree with you about the amp and possibly the 2nd guitar.

also any other suggestions?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I'm sort of in the same rut but I've been pulling myself out by doing 2 things.

1) Learn music from a genre or group that you don't normally listen to....you will discover a new respect for musicians from that genre.

2) Write your own music....just sit down (or stand...depending on how you rock out) and just start pumping out random riffs....do anything....make unconventional noise...whatever works
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
here is my regimen for gettin out of ruts and it might help you, first listen to something bluesy, can be b.b. king, clapton, srv, what ever, do this while playing video games, when the blues is getting tiring, listen to the players that truely inspire you, for me its guys like hendrix, page, rhoads(especially), adam jones, so on. as soon as you feel like playing, don't, get on youtube and look up your favorite guitarists, then when you cant wait any longer to play, play music but don't play other peoples songs just jam until your comfortable again.

if you want to learn more theory (like i've been trying to break the pentatonic boxes by playing different scales) just hop on the google and find something that explains what theory you want, like maybe wikipedia is good (i can find anything on wikipedia)

and for your gear, i've found that gear doesnt make you better chops wise, but you'll get a better tone from your guitar and that'll inspire me to play better. but i've found i can get a good sound from what little gear i have by tweakin the knobs on yer guitar and amp.

good luck
keep looking for music that inspires you... i was like that about a month ago, it's just a faze it will go away
thanks for the input guys, I'm very grateful

I'll defo do that guitaringnathan.

and I know gear doesn't improve chops ^^ but i'd agree it gives you something to be excited about while playing.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
def get a new amp, it'll get you more motivated, and just if your listening to music, go and learn that song.

I've learned whole albums before because i was feeling the way you do, it definetly helped.

Also, try and start or join a band, that'll help too
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
def get a new amp, it'll get you more motivated, and just if your listening to music, go and learn that song.

I've learned whole albums before because i was feeling the way you do, it definetly helped.

Also, try and start or join a band, that'll help too

Yeah I was in a band that I loved, but it fell apart for many reasons. Yeah even talking about this seems to be getting me more motivated.

so list of stuff to do gearwise:

get tube amp
mod/get new 2nd guitar
7 string
bass
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Explore new styles of music. You can only go so far with a genre (as I found out) so try a new one out, or mix some. Seriously, if you find something totally brilliant and original, you will wanna play guitar a hell of a lot more.

By doing that, I 'invented' blues-rock-jazz-funk. Ohhh yyeaaahhh.

EDIT: And maybe jump into something you've never given a chance before, like slide guitar. And then mix it with metal. It would be uber-awesome.

My Lord, I don't thing I've used as many hyphens in my life!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Learn something that's a different genre to what you normally play. Maybe a little jazz or blues or spanish guitar style, it can really help with inspiration.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Learn something that's a different genre to what you normally play. Maybe a little jazz or blues or spanish guitar style, it can really help with inspiration.

I've eased back on my classical playing for some reason (probably as its the summer holz)

so I think I'll find some awesome new pieces for that and that could give me more motivation to find new stuff on my electric.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special