Page 1 of 2
And I have no idea how. The riffs are usually kind of death or thrash metal-esque, but I can't seem to get the grindcore feel when I try to write riffs. Like I'll do a tremolo-picking riff and it just sounds like Death or Obituary, not Pig Destroyer, Nasum, Carcass, etc.

Help!
Quote by coryklok
go **** yourself.

thats harsh man gridecore is music like anyother kind of of music; have some respect for other people differances. and idk man im not a grindcore listener so i can't really help out
Quote by Tehzekester
Thanks bro.
Dethklok sucks btw.

his comment was retarded yours even more so

back to topic pretty much ignore transitions you can switch from any riff into another seemlessly with grindcore.
tremolo picking is essential but do it with less melody than say carcass if your talking about bands like annotations just chug and let the vocalist do all the work.
Have you learnt or listened to any of the Gridcore "Epics"?
Quote by bass guy 129
six hundred. sorry. im from maine and we dont talk no good none up hurr
Quote by coryklok
go **** yourself.

reported for.... well i'm sure you can figure it out.
i was in a "grind core" band for a while.
just have wicked heavy drums, intense guitar riffs, and TWO lead screamers, not just one.
we were one badass f***ing band.....
but then we broke up cause the screamers both quit

EDIT: i was only in the band cause i needed a band, i listen to much lighter stuff than grind core
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i was in a "grind core" band for a while.
just have wicked heavy drums, intense guitar riffs, and TWO lead screamers, not just one.
we were one badass f***ing band.....
but then we broke up cause the screamers both quit

EDIT: i was only in the band cause i needed a band, i listen to much lighter stuff than grind core

Talk about writing riff tips!
just write heavy drop d sounding riffs.
make them very very dissonant.
if you dont know what dissonance is go away

EDIT: im not gonna write the riffs for you, just listen to some grindcore bands and write riffs that sound like theirs.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Listen to Repulsion.
If you don't have any idea of how to write grindcore after that, then just quit.
how many guitars are you looking at playing together?
"...silence and screams are the end of my song..."
Victor Jara
Tune to drop D. Play really fast. Be really dissonant. Crank the distortion. Throw in some dissonant tapping and you pretty much got it.
i would use the whole-half scale because it tends to be brutal, and just throw resolution and consonance out the window, and then maybe you will end up with something? try using more random notes that you shouldn't use for non grindcore purposes
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Well, from what I've heard of grindcore, there's a whole lot of this thing where they hammeron and pulloff a minor fourth, and then slide it down a half step and do the same thing. Other than that I have no idea really.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
i think a good variety between low chugging riffs and high meandering fills would help as a start.

look into the phrygian and aeolian modesm in the keys of A, D, or C

dont stay with minor keys. switch it to diminished or augmented.

use tritones like crazy

low note trills and wide vibrato in accompanyment to sweep picking in a different key up 1

octave will make you sound like car bomb or nasum.

keep the time signature in 4/4, 5/4 or 6/8.

just a start...
"...silence and screams are the end of my song..."
Victor Jara
Quote by Tehzekester
And I have no idea how. The riffs are usually kind of death or thrash metal-esque, but I can't seem to get the grindcore feel when I try to write riffs. Like I'll do a tremolo-picking riff and it just sounds like Death or Obituary, not Pig Destroyer, Nasum, Carcass, etc.

Help!
Probably a tone thing. Alot of that kind of music is just thrashed powerchords, so I highly doubt its anything to do with your ability as a writer.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
My grind band focusses on groove riffs, lots of thick chugging in drop-c, with tremolo picked or pure noise blast beat sections. We dont take as much inspriration from the classic Napalm Death/Carcass stuff really, mainly the few local bands we like. Try the diminished scale (I think its called) and using chords changes in tritone or minor 2nd, as they sound the most brutal...
Hello
Quote by Zycho
Tune to drop D. Play really fast. Be really dissonant. Crank the distortion. Throw in some dissonant tapping and you pretty much got it.

Best advice in the entire thread.
Quote by Tehzekester
Elaborate.

Heh umm well i've never really learn't it myself and i don't know much about the scene.

I guess you could call Napalm Death Grindcore? The Bezerker perchance?
If only i'd paid more attention to the countless Grindcore Videos a friend sends me :-P

Can i ask why you want to start writing Grindcore?
Quote by bass guy 129
six hundred. sorry. im from maine and we dont talk no good none up hurr
A LOT of people here thinking Deathcore and Grindcore are synonymous...

Write Punkish riffs, but detune your guitar and put more distortion, true Grindcore is just Punk that is faster and has a different tone.
Quote by SlayerOfTheGods
A LOT of people here thinking Deathcore and Grindcore are synonymous...

Write Punkish riffs, but detune your guitar and put more distortion, true Grindcore is just Punk that is faster and has a different tone.

Necropost.
Call me Batman.
My tip? The whole-half and Half-whole diminished scales, the consist of alternating half and whole steps, as indicated by the name, if you don't want to go figure them out yourself, in E, they'd be... E-F-G-G#-Ab-B-C#-D-E, for half-whole and E-F#-G-A-Bb-C-C#-D#-E for whole-half.

They're used in alot of modern metal, especially grindcore, also in some jazz, so unless you're careful, you'll have jazzgrind. Anyways, something neat about both scales is they're a repeating pattern, this pattern repeats every 3 frets, a minor third, so if you played a riff in one part of the scale, it'd be in key if you took it up three frets, this is extremely usefull, as moving in minor thirds is very dark sounding, and this also allows you to have a two guitar harmony where the second guitar plays everything a minor third higher.

A good way to use these scales is say, play an ascending riff in one of the scales, then playing a desending riff in the other of the two. Also, use plenty of tritones, and switching from consonant to dissonant chords, for example, playing Emaj then Bbdim, with another guitarist riffing over that, it works real nice.
Phyrgian Dominant Scale!

Also, go to like drop C or B and trem pick some palm muted power chords, but add in some triplets or blasts.

tritones, tritones, tritones.

get as dissonant as you can when playing an underlying lead
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by mindfuk
i think a good variety between low chugging riffs and high meandering fills would help as a start.

look into the phrygian and aeolian modesm in the keys of A, D, or C

dont stay with minor keys. switch it to diminished or augmented.

use tritones like crazy

low note trills and wide vibrato in accompanyment to sweep picking in a different key up 1

octave will make you sound like car bomb or nasum.

keep the time signature in 4/4, 5/4 or 6/8.

just a start...

What the hell is a diminished/augmented key?
^I hate to say it, but he's just a little confused.
Quote by ilikebebop
all grindcore haters go to hell. but if you hate scene grind ur cool. go to heaven.
Any "genre" with core at the end of it is inherently a scene.

Please, this thread wants to die. I'm going to report it with hopes it will die.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Tehzekester
Thanks bro.
Dethklok sucks btw.

I'd have to agree the guy was acting childish, but don't take it out on dethklok. They have some pretty nice feeling music. Very fun to play although tuning is lower then I like. I'd have to say just play more grindcore, sounds to me like you've played more of the other genre and have developed a nack for it. If you play more grindcore you'll be able to create better grindcore. Can a metal player just pick up a guitar and play funky jazz?

Quote by MadAudioMan
My tip? The whole-half and Half-whole diminished scales, the consist of alternating half and whole steps, as indicated by the name, if you don't want to go figure them out yourself, in E, they'd be... E-F-G-G#-Ab-B-C#-D-E, for half-whole and E-F#-G-A-Bb-C-C#-D#-E for whole-half.

They're used in alot of modern metal, especially grindcore, also in some jazz, so unless you're careful, you'll have jazzgrind. Anyways, something neat about both scales is they're a repeating pattern, this pattern repeats every 3 frets, a minor third, so if you played a riff in one part of the scale, it'd be in key if you took it up three frets, this is extremely usefull, as moving in minor thirds is very dark sounding, and this also allows you to have a two guitar harmony where the second guitar plays everything a minor third higher.

A good way to use these scales is say, play an ascending riff in one of the scales, then playing a desending riff in the other of the two. Also, use plenty of tritones, and switching from consonant to dissonant chords, for example, playing Emaj then Bbdim, with another guitarist riffing over that, it works real nice.

Very nice way of explaining composition. I've asked questions about composition and never gotten an answer as nice as this one. Really gives a visual of what you would want to do on the fretboard. ++
Last edited by rebel624 at Mar 27, 2009,
My approach would be something groovey, a really cool rhythm, with lots of tempo changes, LOTS. Active EMG's are essential imo. Tone is probably one of the most important things, I'd want to have that heavy wall of creamy distortion
Lyrics'll be easiestXD
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by demonofthenight
^I hate to say it, but he's just a little confused.Any "genre" with core at the end of it is inherently a scene.

Please, this thread wants to die. I'm going to report it with hopes it will die.

lol
you know nothing about music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjviWgLQLe4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esgh_tyH3Uc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDjJCHP0gXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pZdisv8Y10
these are some cool videos for u 2 check out
Last edited by ilikebebop at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by ilikebebop
lol
you know nothing about music

these are some cool videos for u 2 check out

Ts, Listen to grind, write down what you like about it and what the guitars are doing, aim to replicate that but make it your own.
Quote by ilikebebop
I hate to bump a thread which SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED by our benevolent mods, but how are 4 crappy core songs meant to convince me of anything?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Diminished scale is your friend. I' mean the Whole-half pattern.
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.

Quote by demonofthenight
I hate to bump a thread which SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED by our benevolent mods, but how are 4 crappy core songs meant to convince me of anything?

The quality of a chord is usually defined by the third and the fifth, not the seventh.
if you don't like terrorizer just get out forever
ilikebebop, shhhhhhhhh.
demonofthenight, shhhhhh.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Page 1 of 2