didn't know which section to post this

but can someone point me out to some kind or recorder for my band to record our rehearsals? it doesn't need to be anything very good, we also don't want to spend much, as long as you can hear all the instruments reasonably well so that each member of the band can listen at home and see what could be better, that kind of stuff. the recordings aren't meant to be distributed.

any suggestions?
Quote by Raziel123
didn't know which section to post this

but can someone point me out to some kind or recorder for my band to record our rehearsals? it doesn't need to be anything very good, we also don't want to spend much, as long as you can hear all the instruments reasonably well so that each member of the band can listen at home and see what could be better, that kind of stuff. the recordings aren't meant to be distributed.

any suggestions?

Get a cheap USB audio interface with an XLR jack and phantom power. Plug either an omni or boundary condenser mic into this, and then connect it to a laptop computer. I've gotten some great rehearsal recordings with a Crown PCC-160 boundary mic either sitting on the floor or tacked to the wall. You can hear every instrument pretty clearly, as long as the mic isn't too close to the drums or any one amplifier.
Quote by Raziel123
would the M-audio fast track usb interface do?

No. The Fast Track has an XLR jack, but it doesn't have phantom power. It could only be used with a dynamic microphone. I wouldn't try to record an entire band with a single dynamic mic. It will sound muddy.

The Fast Track Pro has phantom power, but it costs about twice what the Fast Track costs.
To record a full band you will want a lot of mics, cables, stands, and a large MTR setup....or a DAW and audio interface.

If you are not serious about the quality something like the Zoom H2 or H4 will work fair.
Read Tweaks guide in my sig as well as head on over to the R&R section (the proper place for this post and info)