Page 1 of 2
If you want to be a full time musician, you're gonna have to start out with a day job. However, bands often need to take weeks off to tour. What day jobs do musicians do to accompany this lifestyle?
Quote by Shuk
If you want to be a full time musician, you're gonna have to start out with a day job. However, bands often need to take weeks off to tour. What day jobs do musicians do to accompany this lifestyle?

+1 Id like to know too
No one here, gets out alive
It's not the job you get, it's the manager you have.
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
I personally sell prosthetic limbs to the zoo. You wouldn't BELIEVE how many monkey's are victim's of crocodile attacks.
I plan on doing construction
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by JPMen.
I personally sell prosthetic limbs to the zoo. You wouldn't BELIEVE how many monkey's are victim's of crocodile attacks.

FAILures not flattering...
become a teacher and then do summer tours
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
become a teacher and then do summer tours

My science teacher did that. 2 incomes during the summer is better then 1.
Quote by hassle-the-hoff
box factory,
no kidding, you need to leave, you quit, they hire you right back

Alex Webster use to do that.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

superhero
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
I drive to New York city, and other misc places delivering rotisserie pigs. You can take off how many days you want unless they really need you.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
When I become of age when serious cash needs to be made I'll do guitar teaching at £5 an hour per student (about 1-5 students an hour, easy money).

However I'll probably get a weekend job while I'm still in school to aid my addiction. . .gear doesn't pay for itself.
By the way, I forgot to mention that I have an honours BA university education. Are there any jobs that let you go on leave for weeks at a time?
5 quid an hour?, most teachers i've found (private 0ne on one) charge about 10/15
lol@u
I do freelance computer programming, as an independent contractor, depending on circumstance, I can and have do that while actually on tour.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Blues_King431
5 quid an hour?, most teachers i've found (private 0ne on one) charge about 10/15

Yeah, but I figure teaching many students at one time (rotating around, giving them time to practice whatever excersise/whatever I've shown them whilst I go to others) and charging £5 an hour is a lot more money making than one student per hour and getting £10.
manual labor
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Rent boy seems like a pretty savvy career choice
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Well I just got a job in an instrument shop, so I think I'm pretty much sorted!
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
What do most touring artists who are semi-known do? Say... the opening band for a Black Keys or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club concert.
I would think maybe work in some music shop (not guitar center, either a smaller chain or a single shop) or do lessons, or both.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm a student right now, so I have 2 options:

Keep the current band going, get big enough to be full time by the time I'm of age.

If the current band breaks up, form another one or get a part time job.

We can all see which is more likely.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
well the job i have right now you just sign up for what days you want to work and if you don't feel like working at all you just don't sign up for any days and they don't even say anything or care for that matter. Granted if they really need people they might call and ask you but they'll never force you to show up. Sooo that'd be a nice job as a musician.
I work at a golf course. I cut grass with zero turns and use weed whackers. It is difficult.
Quote by Shuk
What do most touring artists who are semi-known do? Say... the opening band for a Black Keys or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club concert.

not a lot they are generally broke. i know some signed artists teach etc but i dont think any would play in wedding bands they would feel like *****s.
Quote by TexasFury
if you need a day job, you aren't a musician. you are a dilettante

i would disagree i do music full time, the term day job refers to 3-9 teaching them gigs 10 til 2
Oftentimes music stores will let their employees take time off for touring. Plus, you get to be around shiny new gear all day!
I play at the Pool Hall for cash. Most of the people there let me win, because my voice apperently antaginizes them and I am big. I also collect the rent from people for my boss, for the appartments he owns and the Storage units. Other than thatm guitar and piano 6-12 hours a day. I love my life, well not really but at least I have a home now.
Anything that your co-workers won't notice your gone. Which is anything with MW-$20 an hour.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Page 1 of 2