In recent threads I have talked about problems I have with the bass player in my band, and after our gig on saturday, I think he wants to quit as what our drummer told us. We played a birthday party in my friend's garage with 25-28 people there, and some pretty good looking girls too, but after we opened with The White Stripes' "Jimmy The Exploder," all the people left the garage to go back into the driveway, leaving us with no audience to play for. This continued on and off for the next 3 songs, until we just stopped, and someone put their ipod on the PA. I wasn't mad that everyone there didn't take us seriously, because I was having a fun time singing and playing. After we play 4 songs, we go out onto the driveway, and i'm pissed off, because people weren't really respecting us when we were playing, like when I was singing they would come up and steal the mic from me.

My bass player just bitched about how after no one took us seriosuly, because "We don't have a 'real' singer (He says i'm a sucky singer, and I tell him to sing then, but he can't). He then complained how he didn't want to go back and continue to play. Then an hour later, we went back on to play 1 more song, and in the song, we all take solos, and when it came time for our bass player to take a solo, his amp was on 2, and he didn't even care, so I just stomped him overdrive pedal on, and made him able to be heard. After the song, I pakced my stuff up, and left. I talked to the drummer today, and he said that he wants to quit, because he thinks that we weren't "going anywhere," and that nobody takes us seriously as a band. So I told the drummer that when we record, I play the bass parts I write for him alot better than he plays them, and I care about playing and being in a band.

Is it worth it to let him leave, and try finding someone else (There's not many other decent bass players around) or should we talk to him, because he not only a fellow musician, but also a friend.
who cares if hes a freind
he sounds like a reall ass

but then again, if hes considering leaving because he deosnt feel the bands ''going anywhere'' and your in it for fun not as a professional career then you arent on the same page and it probably wont work out
Quote by hassle-the-hoff
who cares if hes a freind
he sounds like a reall ass

but then again, if hes considering leaving because he deosnt feel the bands ''going anywhere'' and your in it for fun not as a professional career then you arent on the same page and it probably wont work out

no, it's the opposite, he just doesn't think we are going anywhere, because he never puts himself forward to be involved or contribute something, and his attitude towards everything in the band is just "(sigh) I Don't care anymore."
I'd just make him stay, but whilst at the same time, secretly looking for a replacement bass player. Because he obviously has no respect for the band as a whole, and doesn't care and doesn't even want to try.

So do that, and if you ever find another bass play, kick that older bass player out on the curb, and then maybe you can, i don't know about make it big, but at least line up some gigs... then he'll be jealous.

But like i said, don't kick him out just yet, just in case. 'Cause you'd look like a douche kicking him out, then asking him to come back in. Just keep him and look for another bass player.

That's what i'd do. Hope helped.
O O

___
If it's not working out and he wants to leave, hey, let him, you can still be mates if he leaves the band y'know, you're still allowed to have friends outside the band ain't you?
Infact, think about it, if being in a band together is causing friction between you, wouldn't it be better for your friendship if one of you leaves?
Think about it from his point of view, he's not enjoying being in the band, and we're back to the age old saying 'If you ain't enjoying it, it ain't worth doing.'
Now look at it from the band's point of view, he's causing friction in the band anyway, so it's a great opportunity to find another bass player who fits in better with the rest of you. Honestly, the last thing you want is someone in the band who kicks off at the rest of you after a bad gig, we all have bad gigs from time to time and it only makes it worse when someone starts throwing a tantrum.

Better all round if he leaves really, but make sure you all part on good terms.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 4, 2008,
I say if the bass player is being an ass, keep him in the band, but let him know that you are on the hunt for a new one. Tell him he can quit when you have a new bass player. If trouble finding bass player, you said you play bass, so make some simple parts and teach someone how to play.