ok guys. i own a spider II. *flameshield at the ready*

i only use it for a little bit of practice downstairs when everyone's sleeping. one huge problemo though.

when i play through the crunch, metal, or insane settings, the amp randomly goes from distorted, to clean...a very kinda bassy clean. right before the change there's a big pop, silence for like half a second, and then clean sound.

so if any of you can diagnose this problem and help me fix it...i would appreciate it exponentially...

also, this is my first guitar amp that i bought like...2 years ago so i believe it is no longer under warrenty
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
'casue it's a spider

is it old? wires could be loose?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
check the cords (leads), thats tends to happen with either a bad cord or a messed up input jack.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
it sounds to me like some...circuitry is getting fried? idk how to put it in technical terms lol, it can also be that the input jack is messed up. but i have a Spider III and i get that same loud POP every once an a while.

When your playing, and the distortion changes to clean, do the lights switch on the amp model knob? like when your on red insane, and it goes clean where is the light at? does it even move?

no foot switch? what wattage is it?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
That sounds like a bad DSP to me. If the amp is under warranty you might sent it in for repairs.
My spider III would always do that, i always thought it waas just skipping back to some preset. I never really figured it out though.. do you ever bump it or anything, or is it doing it all on its own?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
digital ****s gone west
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
nope, does it all by itself. no physical contact required.

and when it goes from distorted to clean, the light stays on whatever channel it was on.

EDIT: it's a 15 watter

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Happened to mine for about a week. Doesn't really do it anymore.
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
Yeah, mine did that too, and its a 15 watt.. i'm guess its just something bugging out in the circuitry, making it switch to a clean preset or something. sorry i cant really help, i could never figure out mine either.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by bobby_splax
i would appreciate it exponentially...

What exactly do you mean by this? That you appreciate each persons help more than the one before him? Your appreciation for the help is growing exponentially with each post?

In all seriousness, I have no idea, but I'd be willing to bet it's not worth taking it to a tech to get it fixed. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. New amp time?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
What exactly do you mean by this? That you appreciate each persons help more than the one before him? Your appreciation for the help is growing exponentially with each post?

In all seriousness, I have no idea, but I'd be willing to bet it's not worth taking it to a tech to get it fixed. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. New amp time?

yup, this is exactly what i meant

and i really don't wanna invest in another small amp.

i got my palomino in my room, and the spider downstairs. i guess if i had to, i'd browse like craigslist or ebay for a microcube or something but that is really a last resort

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by bobby_splax
yup, this is exactly what i meant

and i really don't wanna invest in another small amp.

i got my palomino in my room, and the spider downstairs. i guess if i had to, i'd browse like craigslist or ebay for a microcube or something but that is really a last resort

I feel sorry for the first posters, then. You hardly appreciate them.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...