Hi, my names vince i've been playing guitar now for about 6 years im 15, i still cant solo right its not that im not fast enough or anything like that its that i dont know where to place my fingers, i tryed learning scales i didnt understand them or how to use them, can anyone please help me?!
this is a tough one to explain because it's not like its just a simple concept. basically a scale formation is one notes scale formation. you need to move this formation around in order to get that "solo" sound. what helped me understand this better was learning the 12 bar blues. if you dont know that then I would suggest starting there.
Heres the basic rock scale (A minor pentatonic) try just playing notes from this scale, throw in some bends, slides, pull offs and hammer ons. Then once you can play this faster using alternate picking throw in passing notes and chromatic runs. You don't need to learn a bunch of scales but this is the basic shape that everyone needs to know. Both of these are the same key, just different octaves. I hope these help if they don't try watching lessons on youtube or something.

e|----------------------------5-8|---------------------------------------------17-20----|
B|----------------------5-8------|-------------------------------------17-20------------|
G|-----------------5-7-----------|----------------------------17-19---------------------|
D|------------5-7----------------|-------------------17-19------------------------------|
A|-------5-7---------------------|----------17-19---------------------------------------|
E|-5-8---------------------------|-17-20------------------------------------------------|
Last edited by Mslaubinger18 at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by Giovianni
Hi, my names vince i've been playing guitar now for about 6 years im 15, i still cant solo right its not that im not fast enough or anything like that its that i dont know where to place my fingers, i tryed learning scales i didnt understand them or how to use them, can anyone please help me?!

SIX YEARS and you dont know theory?????????
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
SIX YEARS and you dont know theory?????????

I dont know any theory either. I've been playing for about 5 years, guitar and bass. I was sitting in shop class and my friend elliott asked me if I wanted to play in their band so I said sure. Went out the next couple days and bought a bass and amp, and just started hitting notes. I had no idea what I was suppose to do. I've come a long way since then, but I never took any formal lessons or anything and never picked up any sort of theory along the way. I just play what sounds right and go with that.
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
Quote by redhawk1029
I dont know any theory either. I've been playing for about 5 years, guitar and bass. I was sitting in shop class and my friend elliott asked me if I wanted to play in their band so I said sure. Went out the next couple days and bought a bass and amp, and just started hitting notes. I had no idea what I was suppose to do. I've come a long way since then, but I never took any formal lessons or anything and never picked up any sort of theory along the way. I just play what sounds right and go with that.

yes, and i doubt you know how to create chords, how to figure out which key its in, and how to solo.

EDIT: whatever, to each is own.
i dont want to argue about music theory.
if you play music, and enjoy music, without knowing theory, then good job and keep it up.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
yes, and i doubt you know how to create chords, how to figure out which key its in, and how to solo.

You're right! I never had anyone to teach me. No one in my area teaches guitar, and if they do, they want you to pay an arm and leg for basic lessons (knowing what the string names are, ect.) I wouldn't say im a bad guitar player, I have enough skill I could go on stage and play cover songs for about a good hour in a half, but I dunno the "proper" way to create chords, what notes to begin on, or how to solo in any kind of key. Im not really up to go buy butt loads of DVD's and tape explaining theory, **** I doubt I could wrap my feeble mind around anyway.

EDIT: Oh I know! I dont wanna start any arguments either! But if you or someone else could just tell me how to get started learning theory, I'd greatly appreciate it. And something that wont completely blow my mind.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
Last edited by redhawk1029 at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by redhawk1029
You're right! I never had anyone to teach me. No one in my area teaches guitar, and if they do, they want you to pay an arm and leg for basic lessons (knowing what the string names are, ect.) I wouldn't say im a bad guitar player, I have enough skill I could go on stage and play cover songs for about a good hour in a half, but I dunno the "proper" way to create chords, what notes to begin on, or how to solo in any kind of key. Im not really up to go buy butt loads of DVD's and tape explaining theory, **** I doubt I could wrap my feeble mind around anyway.

EDIT: Oh I know! I dont wanna start any arguments either! But if you or someone else could just tell me how to get started learning theory, I'd greatly appreciate it.

dude if you want to learn theory, trust me, get the idiots guide to music theory.
i got it about a year and a half ago and its one of the best, most helpful books ive EVER bought in my life.
it taught me all the basics in theory.
and after you read that and you want to learn how to solo, but the idiots guide to solos and improv.
they are both wicked helpful
i know it sounds like im advertising lol, but seriously they are WICKED helpful.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
dude if you want to learn theory, trust me, get the idiots guide to music theory.
i got it about a year and a half ago and its one of the best, most helpful books ive EVER bought in my life.
it taught me all the basics in theory.
and after you read that and you want to learn how to solo, but the idiots guide to solos and improv.
they are both wicked helpful
i know it sounds like im advertising lol, but seriously they are WICKED helpful.

Alright, I'll look into that. Thanks.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
Quote by redhawk1029
Alright, I'll look into that. Thanks.

no prob
(and btw, most people learn theory and then think its the most boring thing ever, i bought that book and look at my name lol, i LOVE theory)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section are also w great introduction to the basic ins and outs of theory.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It would help immensely to learn theory, in key of, etc. If you know what key the song is in, and theory is ingrained in your mind, you can just pick up the guitar and naturally go to that key and use those scales you learned. Hope I helped. And you can find recommendations for theory books in here, just look at your topic, lol.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I got a book on modes and i understand it quiet well, i think in a few months ill have a good grip on it
I think writing solos is pretty easy.

(1) pick a Key
(2) pick a scale (pentatonic, major, minor, pentatonic minor, etc.)
(3) play random note combinations using that scale that sound good (and write them down)
(4) incorporate techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, etc. into it
(5) write down all the stuff you liked down and piece it together so it flows
(6) there is no step six!
Hey vince,
To start with take some simple chord progressions. Record them with a steady tempo and loop them for 10 - 15 minutes or so.

Then record a 10-15 minutes improvised solo over top - just be free and creative. Then listen back for anything that does work and nail it down. Analyse the chords and how the notes that make up the chords move from one chord to the next. Try arranging them in different ways and use diatonic notes between the chord tones to create runs linking the notes together. Try sequences (repeating phrases moving up and down a scale) and arpeggios.

Record a second solo trying to use everything you learnt from your analysis. Then listen back and look for what works and what doesn't. Take what works and build on it. Try to figure out why other things don't work and how you might fix them. Work it work it work it.

Record a third solo 10 - 15 minute solo and repeat the analysis process

Then a fourth solo using all the things you have learnt. By this stage you should have some pretty good licks. Try doing two solo's and analysis per day and by the end of the week you should have something solid. Take the best of the best and reduce it down to fit the song (get it down to a minute and a half or whatever you need.)
If you aren't sure what works melodically try some counterpoint for a basic intro, and this link isn't too bad either Melodic Principles.

This is what works for me anyway.

Good Luck.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by Giovianni
Hey Vince. Just pick a pentatonic scale. Start on any note (really doesnt matter imo) and if you feel the next note should be higher, play 1 note higher in that scale. If you feel it needs to be alot high, play 2 or 3 notes higher.

Heres a repost of mine about improvising:

Once you've learnt a few shapes (2 or 3 is fine) of the pentatonic scale, you probably should try to focus on what you feel is the right next note and play REALLY slow. Try to listen to some of those slow expressive blues solo's to get what I mean. Whilst doing this, try to become proficient at moving around the fretboard and between shapes. Aim to be able to slide between 3 or 4 notes on the same string.
Copying a singers phrasing and rhthym is generally a good idea to when learning how to improvise. And I dont mean metal singers/screamers, who sing really fast. Copy something slow. This is how people started writing those slow blues solo's. Think of improvising as singing with your guitar.

Doing this will get your phrasing (by copying those singers) and your technique (by moving between shapes) ready for doing some real solo's (as in, stuff that sounds good).

Than after you've got all that down and when you're good enough to say that you personally enjoy what you're playing (it took me a couple of years to enjoy my pentatonic wankery), you'll be ready to move on. Than study the major scale, the intervals behind it, the way these intervals create harmonic/melodic consonance and dissonance and watch melodic control by marty friedman. Pretty much look for and study as much theory as you can eat. And analyse solo's, ask yourself, why do they sound good?
At this stage you should start realising that the same note can sound better or worse over different chords and some notes sound better or worse when followed (or preceeded) by some notes. Exploiting this will enable you to control what you're solo's are going to feel like, instead of blindly looking for the right note.
Hey listen you guys! some people dont get theory at all i know people that have been playin for 4,5 and 6 years and dont get it at all, yet i get most of it. im still a newbie to guitar as i have been playin for 7 months but some people pick it up faster than others.

just lay off him for gods sake! maybe he got bored learning it and stopped learning theory?
Quote by jogar15
I think writing solos is pretty easy.

(1) pick a Key
(2) pick a scale (pentatonic, major, minor, pentatonic minor, etc.)
(3) play random note combinations using that scale that sound good (and write them down)
(4) incorporate techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, etc. into it
(5) write down all the stuff you liked down and piece it together so it flows
(6) there is no step six!

not this, definitely not this. i'd never just pick random notes.