Page 1 of 2
You always hear such funny and interesting stories about rock stars. Ozzy snorting up ants, Zeppelin taking a dump into a groupie's shoe, Keith Richards getting his blood changed, etc... It got me wondering if there are any cool stories about the old blues guys. I'm sure they were no angels?

The only one I can think if is the Devil at the Crossroads.
B.B. King saving his guitar from a fire then naming it after the woman the whole fight/fire started over.
Mashed potato Johnson sold his soul to the devil i think
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
^ Almost every Delta Bluesman sold his soul to the devil.

Are you looking for myths like, about the devil and Robert Johnson, or are you looking for stories, like BB King and Lucille?
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
SRV and the Lenny guitar is a great story.
Quote by slidething31
Blues men don't wear band T shirts.
Quote by slidething31
^ Almost every Delta Bluesman sold his soul to the devil.

Are you looking for myths like, about the devil and Robert Johnson, or are you looking for stories, like BB King and Lucille?

Stories!
Stories, alright cool.

I don't know if you've heard how Duane Allman started playing slide. Apparently Duane was sick for a few days and couldn't leave bed. Gregg brought him some medicine. Corocidin that used to come in little glass bottles. A little while after Gregg left, Duane called him and told him to come back. When Gregg got back, Duane had emptied the bottle and was using it as a slide.

Like most slide players, it was torture on other people's ears for the first few days, according to Gregg.
Supplement to above story:

Gregg also brought a Taj Mahal record for his brother, which contained the song "Statesboro Blues". That is what prompted Duane to want to learn to play slide.
Ermmm....

Not so much a legend or a myth, more of a fact...

But Booker White bought BB King his first guitar because they were cousins.

The whole RJ sold his soul to the devil stuff was made up by Son House anyways, he always pushed that story.

Son House did time in Parchman Farm State Pen because whilst playing in a juke joint he was shot in the leg by some feller on a shooting spree. So Son took his gone and shot the man dead in front of everybody.
Last edited by ze monsta at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by slidething31
Stories, alright cool.

I don't know if you've heard how Duane Allman started playing slide. Apparently Duane was sick for a few days and couldn't leave bed. Gregg brought him some medicine. Corocidin that used to come in little glass bottles. A little while after Gregg left, Duane called him and told him to come back. When Gregg got back, Duane had emptied the bottle and was using it as a slide.

Like most slide players, it was torture on other people's ears for the first few days, according to Gregg.

I love that story
^ If you like Duane, you should definitely read Skydog The Duane Allman Story. All kinds of good stuff in there.
Hound Dog Taylor was born with six fingers on both hands. One he night he got drunk at a gig and cut off the sixth finger on his right hand with a pocket knife.

Another HDT Story: drunk again; the guitar player for the House Rockers insulted HDT's wife. HDT picked up a 22 rifle. He supposedly was only attempting to shot the couch, but he actually shot the guitar player. Hound Dog died before he ever went to trial. His last prayer was answered when the man he shot visited him in the hospital and told him that he forgave him for shooting him.

SRV Story: I heard this on a radio interview. SRV was working at a restaurant as a teenager. While taking out the trash he fell into a barrell that they used for discarding the used grease. About a second after he was able to climb out of the barrell, a guy came out and poured a big pot of hot grease into the barrell. It was at that time SRV decided that he would play guitar for a living like Albert King.

Robert Knighhawk provided the music at McKinley Morganfield's first wedding in Mississippi. Supposedly people danced so enthusiastically that the floor of the house caved in.

I try to remember some more...
Quote by slidething31
^ If you like Duane, you should definitely read Skydog The Duane Allman Story. All kinds of good stuff in there.

Yeah, I have been looking for that book. Such a great player.
The SRV story is true, he talks about it on one of his re-issued albums (Couldn't Stand the Weather, Soul to Soul, or In Step), I can't remember which one.

Although it is often told wrong, the story about Duane Allman and Berry Oakley dieing blocks from each other in motrocyle accidents one year apart is pretty crazy.
A lot of the old piano players would break their own fingers in order to get a longer stretch between their fingers. Some guitarists too.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Blind willie johnson:

When he was 7, his dad beat his stepmom for going out with another man, so the stepmom took a handful of lye and threw it in poor willie's eyes.
GEAR

VOX AC15 / AC4
Fender MIM Sunburst Strat
epiphone les paul custom in white
Yamaha FG730s
The Tweak-O fuzz pedal
^ Just reading a book on Blind Willie McTell and how he was born blind in one eye and the other deteriorated as he was growing up, but that one is so much more interesting and harsh. Poor Willie Johnson.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^ya it was his first time at montreux, he didnt really get booed off stage, people were just pissed because that night was more of like an acoustic playing night and srv came out and went crazy, people booed but not everyone
Quote by Andrewbiles
^ Just reading a book on Blind Willie McTell and how he was born blind in one eye and the other deteriorated as he was growing up, but that one is so much more interesting and harsh. Poor Willie Johnson.

Is that the huge book on Blind Willie??? - my friend has it, it's huge. I really want that, he's my favourite.

On Blind Willie Johnson - He died on pneumonia from sleeping on a damp mattress in his burnt down house.

Blind Willie McTell would play on street corners on Atlanta for most of his life, people would shout out songs they wanted him to play and he would play them. He would keep a pocketful of slides with him at all times for different songs. He could navigate his way around the New York subway and could click his tongue hearing the reverberations to tell him where objects were.
Quote by ze monsta
Is that the huge book on Blind Willie??? - my friend has it, it's huge. I really want that, he's my favourite.

On Blind Willie Johnson - He died on pneumonia from sleeping on a damp mattress in his burnt down house.

Blind Willie McTell would play on street corners on Atlanta for most of his life, people would shout out songs they wanted him to play and he would play them. He would keep a pocketful of slides with him at all times for different songs. He could navigate his way around the New York subway and could click his tongue hearing the reverberations to tell him where objects were.

Yeah, 'In search of Blind Willie McTell. I'm only up to chapter 8 but if you're wanting a book on McTell, so far I'd say this isn't for you. The chapters I've read have all been about the American civil war and then the places the author (can't remember his name off the top of my head) has travelled to to research McTell's family tree. There have only really been a few mentions of the great musician and how, like you say there, he would go to car parks with his guitar and people would shout out popular songs and he would immediately be able to play them.
Other than that, I've found out he was six years old when a census was taken...
Interesting none-the-less, but if you get it don't expect it to be a biography from the start - I'm hoping it kicks in now, it sounded like it was going to.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
robert johnston sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads, because when he came back to where he was living in a very short space of time he had got very good....google it for the full story.
Hendrix got fired by his band halway through his first gig cos his playing was so wild.
According to one of Eric Claptons biographies on his first meeting with Sonny Boy Williamson, he mentioned Sonny Boys real name to try and impress him and Sonny Boy pulled a knife on him.
There's several good ones about Leadbelly although i'm not 100% sure on any so i'll let others post them
apparently when she was up and coming Memphis Minnie beat Big BillBronzy or some other famous guitarist it a "guitar duel" she also kicked ass in bar fights...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
^ Thanks for that link man. Hubert Sumlin is awesome, and that guy has some other cool videos too.
Quote by ze monsta

I love that vid of Hubert. He is hilariously funny, I love the way he speaks.

So hard to follow! Must be all that coffee.

"Yeah! Fell on his head!" - classic.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
So hard to follow! Must be all that coffee.

"Yeah! Fell on his head!" - classic.

I remember the day i found that video, i showed it to my dad and he was just about crying during that story. good stuff.
Well, not that interesting but, Rory Gallagher's strat was said to be the first strat to come into Ireland, a guy from a showband had ordered it in, but he wanted it in red and not sunburst, so Rory saw this in Crowleys music store (cork) and bought it, hid it from his parents for a good while too, with his brother Donal's help I believe.
Quote by Dchild042
^ya it was his first time at montreux, he didnt really get booed off stage, people were just pissed because that night was more of like an acoustic playing night and srv came out and went crazy, people booed but not everyone

he played there again the next year and rocked the house, david bowie was in the crowd and asked him to play on one of his songs and gave him free studio use, which srv used to record texas flood
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by slidething31
This was a cool thread. Any more stories?

Bruce Iglauer tells this story. With a modest inheritance, Bruce started Alligator Records. His first artist was Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers. He tells a story about a gig they went on. To save on hotel costs, they decided to drive back to Chicago after the gig. It was the wee hours of the morning. Bruce drove most of the way as the band members were sloshed.

At one point on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere they ran out of gas. Hound Dog took a gas can and got some gas somewhere. Bruce was asleep so Brewer Phillips took the wheel of the car. When Bruce woke up a totally drunk Phillips was driving. Then Hound Dog took the wheel who was reputedly nearly blind without his glasses. They made it back alive.
Page 1 of 2