so i went into my local music store because the nut on my sg popped off (glue came undone) and so i asked if they could put on the strings that also came along with it.
they were gonna charge 15 dollars to put on damn strings!
so i went to my car and was looking at that and asked them if that was for a setup and the guy said no. so by now i was like hmmm this seems like a ripoff. then i asked them to setup the guitar along with that and it's 40 bucks. does that seem like a ripoff to you?
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
It's a ripoff. Unfortunately, that's also a bit of a standard, and many other stores will charge you just about the same.
That's about the average cost.

That's why I learned to do it myself. Now I charge people that for setups.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
yea, setups with a new set of strings are typically $35-50... sorry
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
thats bull****, its all about the money nowadays.. a setup should only cost like $20 tops putting strings on should cost maybe $10 because the strings itself cost like $5
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Let's see...you're buying the strings too, so that's $5, so you're paying $10 for someone else to change strings. Seems fair.
hell, at one shop if you buy a pack of string they do a free setup with the strings.. the guys a dumbass though, when i got back my pups were SOAKED in wd 40

.. asshole
Set up = 35 bones.

Set up + new strings = 40-45ish bones.

You could do it yourself for free though.
Seems about right to me - stores aren't a charity and there's not a massive markup on stuff like strings. If you're too busy/lazy/stupid to do things for yourself then the store has to make it worth their while.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's pretty easy to do yourself anyways. There's millions of tutorials out there on the internet, and a pack of strings isn't expensive. All in all, if you do that, it'll cost you $5-10 max.

And you could glue the nut on yourself, I mean, the added charge of $5 superglue isn't much either.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Set up = 35 bones.

Set up + new strings = 40-45ish bones.

You could do it yourself for free though.

man you've got it good, a set up from most of the shops around where i live is $60-70
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by steven seagull
Seems about right to me - stores aren't a charity and there's not a massive markup on stuff like strings. If you're too busy/lazy/stupid to do things for yourself then the store has to make it worth their while.

agreed. i mean, how long does it take for a setup? my guess is it'd take minimum 30 minutes, if not more like an hour (if not even longer). it's a reasonably skilled job too. you can't expect them to do it for nothing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm sick of these moans about how much techs charge for a setup, string change, whatever. if you take your guitar to good store where they will do a decent job, it's gonna take a tech an hour at least to do a decent setup. then consider wages, plus all the overheads (rent, heating, lighting, taxes etc etc) so that's how the cost adds up. if you don't like it, then do it yourself and suffer the consequences.

jeez, around here in the UK you can't get any sort of skilled tradesman to do a job for much less than £30 an hour ($60). when i take my car in for a service at the local honda dealership it costs about £60/hour ($120) plus parts, and that's cheap.

no wonder so many music stores are going bust when people are whinging about paying a measly $40 for a setup. come on, it's 2008 not 1958.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
exactly.

i'll continue to complain about prices for gear here in the UK; if it costs twice as much as the US, someone somewhere is making some extra money which they don't deserve.

However, I don't have a problem with people earning money for an honest job, which a setup is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?