My amp(Traynor Guitar mate w/reverb) has no built in distortion so I'm using a Boss Metal Zone as my primary source of distortion. The Metal Zone isn't enough, however, it's lacking a certain punch and i was curious if an overdrive pedal would act friendly with using a metal zone at the same time. As in, would it sound decent? Also, what overdrive pedal would you recommend? There's an Ibanez TS7 at a local pawn shop for 11 bucks I was thinking of getting, but otherwise the most I'd want to spend is maybe 40-50 bucks.

Basically I play metal and hard rock.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
I'm thinking it won't sound too terribly great, but I guess you might as well try it with a friend's OD or something.
visual sound jekyll & hyde has both and they can both be used at the same time
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
for $11 you cant go wrong
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
You could do it. It will most likely be noisy and fizzy though.

Crank the amp and drop an OD in front. You'll get a nice, hot-rodded Plexi tone out of them. Those old Traynor amps are KILLER man.

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick replies! I think I'll pick up the TS7 and give it a whirl. While we're on the subject there's a sound that I've been wanting for a while, If anyone's seen the show Trigun you've heard it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzHe4U5c5Oc

If the TS7 + MT2 can't achieve this sound(which, from the sound of the samples on musicians friend, I don't really see happening) what OD pedal would without using the MT2 with it? I'm looking at a Boss SD-1, and judging by the samples it sounds like it could pull it off, but I've been tricked before with the DS-1. Hopefully I'll be able to go to a guitar center before too long and try all this out but the nearest one is still a long trip just to look at pedals, and I'd like to hear from you gents first.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
Last edited by Metalliklok at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by Metalliklok
Thanks for the quick replies! I think I'll pick up the TS7 and give it a whirl. While we're on the subject there's a sound that I've been wanting for a while, If anyone's seen the show Trigun you've heard it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzHe4U5c5Oc

If the TS7 + MT2 can't achieve this sound(which, from the sound of the samples on musicians friend, I don't really see happening) what OD pedal would? I'm looking at a Boss SD-1, and judging by the samples it sounds like it could pull it off, but I've been tricked before with the DS-1. Hopefully I'll be able to go to a guitar center before too long and try all this out but the nearest one is still a long trip just to look at pedals, and I'd like to hear from you gents first.

Stay away from the Metal-Zone. It's not too great.

The SD-1 is mediocre, stay away.

Try something british like a Big Ben Overdrive or a English Muff'n.

The Fulltone OCD or the Tonebone Plexitube could probably nail those tones.
I reckon I'd go with the TS7 and sell the metal zone and put the money towards an EQ pedal myself.
Last edited by ChrisN at Aug 5, 2008,
i have a boss os-2 , it has distortion and od on it and you are able to mix the 2 sounds , i dont think it makes as good of a sound as either of them seperate but its ok i suppose
All you'll get is fuzz and feedback, it wont work, trust me. I have a super OD and a ds-1 on my board and accidentally put them both on sometimes, it doesn't do anything good.

However, if I were you I'd pickup the ts-7 anyways just because they're great pedals and you might want something like it in the future, and it'll also help if you want screaming leads for a boost.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
i have a metal muff and i sometimes use my bad monkey as a lead boost and it sounds great. the harmonics and sustain are insane. you might want to try to put the ts-7 before the mt-2 in your chain. my bad monkey sound much better in front of the metal muff. but you can experiment.
Last edited by mmjohn at Aug 5, 2008,