I'm looking to buy a cheap guitar that I can replace the pickups and some hardware with. My logic is that I don't really care about the "American" construction and such, but I still want a high quality guitar. I'd want to replace the pickups though.

I'm willing to spend 500-600 on the guitar and pay extra for pickups that go with the guitar. Anyone know of any good knockoffs?
Well thats not a bad budget for a knockoff, why not just get a Fender Standard Strat or Tele, the construction quality is suprisingly good
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
If brand name means nothing to you and you are simply looking for a high quality instrument, check out the Squier Classic Vibe series. They have two strats, a tele, and a duosonic. These instruments are lights out awesome. I have the duosonic and it plays like a dream! Although a lot of people on these forums detest squiers, these are very high quality instruments. My duosonic plays nearly as well as my MIA strat with lindy fralins no joke. I am planning on picking up either the classic vibe tele or 50's strat here this week but I haven't decided which yet.

Also if you go with one of these, you may wanna try them stock first. The pickups on these things are incredibly nice if you like a vintage tone and I am amazed at how quiet they are. There is zero hum. I feel like a I am playing a guitar with Gibson '57's it is so quiet. Good luck and let us know what ya find.
~Nick

P.S. I hear a lot of good about the guitars at rondomusic.com and those are uber cheap!
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
Fernandes and Tokai make excellent copies. Their Strats are pretty damn good.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Look on the 'Bay for older Japanese copies. Univox, Burny and the like are the more affordable ones. They are great guit-boxes too.

If you want something a bit more new, check out the Edwards ESP line or the new Tokai Love Rock reissues.
A Fender MIMs are amazing guitars. Cheap and good. By good, I mean brilliant.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by xander307
Well thats not a bad budget for a knockoff, why not just get a Fender Standard Strat or Tele, the construction quality is suprisingly good

ye i say the same,
MY GEAR
Gibson:SG special faded
Behringer:???
Behringer:V-tone GM108
Laney:TF400
Drums:Trax
Dunlop:Crybaby
Last edited by per-rock at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by Mynabull
Fernandes and Tokai make excellent copies. Their Strats are pretty damn good.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Look on the 'Bay for older Japanese copies. Univox, Burny and the like are the more affordable ones. They are great guit-boxes too.

If you want something a bit more new, check out the Edwards ESP line or the new Tokai Love Rock reissues.

+1

tokai made in the 80s too, the 80s ones are sweet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Agiles for Les Paul copies.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Agile also makes good tele (T models) ,soloist (Septor/Interceptor), PRS (PS-models )and Flying V (Ghost) copies. Hardwares might need to be replaced, though.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

i would try an ibanez ART300. its a les paul shape. i have one and i love it. i would try it with the standard pickups before you buy new ones, it has ibanez by EMG actives on it and they're great
Play your guitar.
i got an epi ultra factory second for $430 shipped. les paul clone with pups and hardware that does not need replacing. skinnier neck and satin finished, weight relieved, belly cut, grovers, good pups ahhhhhhh..........

i had a agile al3100 les paul clone, and while very good, was too heavy in a uneven way so went back.

used, you could get a lower level gibson or usa strat or tele.