If I want to use a picture taken by a photographer of an Historic European Church/building on a bands website or album cover. Do I need the permission of both the photographer AND the church/site of which the pic was taken , or only the photographer?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Better to have both, I would say.

Harmy to the rescue?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
In the US, by law you only need the photographer's permission. I dunno how it is in South Africa, if it's different.
Quote by Slinov
Yeah, where is our Harmonious friend when we need him

Harmonius is a girl.

And I'd assume you just need the photographer's permission. Taking a picture of the NY skyline doesn't require the permission of every building pictured does it?
you need permission from whoever has the rights to the picture. if the photographer sold the picture, then you need permission from whoever bought it.