I think it's the current in electrical devices or sommet.

Current or voltage or sommet
dammn cant remember.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
start here at least or fricking google or wikipedia

or to be helpful, it is the measure of electrical resistance.

Quote by Wikipedia
The ohm is the electric resistance between two points of a conductor when a constant potential difference of 1 volt, applied to these points, produces in the conductor a current of 1 ampere, the conductor not being the seat of any electromotive force.

Wikipedia definition
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

... wow...
Last edited by used123 at Aug 4, 2008,
i searched and couldnt find anything. i mean whats compatible with what. i want to now for a mixer a power amp and a cab could you give me some examples of what would work and what not
Elaborate on what you mean, an ohm is just a measurement of electrical resistance or impedance.

It sounds to me like you are looking for information on impedance matching between devices like amps and speakers. The circuitry of an amplifier requires a specific amount of resistance or impedance plugged into its output to operate at its best, and in many cases without damaging itself from an unmatched load. If you have an 8 Ohm output from an amplifier you would want to plug an 8 ohm cabinet into the speaker out of that amp. If the impedance is not matched correctly you will either get less performance out of the said amplifier and/or any number of problems including damage to the output segment of the amplifying device or standing wave loss, etc.
Quote by nithin909
i searched and couldnt find anything. i mean whats compatible with what. i want to now for a mixer a power amp and a cab could you give me some examples of what would work and what not

For the connection between the mixer and the power amp just use the same type of connector. For example, if the power amp has XLR input connectors, then use the XLR output connectors on the mixer. If the power amp has 1/4" balanced (3 conductor) connectors, then use the 1/4" balanced connectors on the mixer. If you use the same type of connectors at each end then you'll know you've got the right signal level and impedance (i.e., "ohms").

For the connection between the power amp and the speakers, make sure the speakers are the same impedance (ohms) as the power amp requires. Often, a power amp will be able to use speakers of different impedance values. For example, it might work with 2 ohm or 4 ohm or 8 ohm, etc. In this case, you can use any speaker with an impedance in the range specified. Lower ohms means higher power consumption, but not necessarily more loudness. In general, the option to use different impedance speakers is only available with solid state power amps.

If you plan on connecting more than one speaker cabinet to a single channel on the power amp then you have to determine the total impedance of the speakers (in ohms), and make sure the total impedance is in the range the power amp can drive.

If the speakers are connected in series, then just add up the impedance of each speaker.

If the speakers are connected in parallel then use this formula:

1 / (1 / spk1 + 1 / spk2 ... )
whats the difference beetween in series and in parralel.
i want to connect this:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-38462741-amplificador-de-potencia-stereo-altech-entrada-mixer-pc-800w-_JM
to this
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-38462741-amplificador-de-potencia-stereo-altech-entrada-mixer-pc-800w-_JM
is it possible? how can i connect to speakers in stereo with that power amp and that speaker
Its hard to explain series and parallel without a diagram.

Say you have a current, in a circuit, two components series are two components next to each other side by side

so... current in -> component 1 -> component 2 -> current out

Two components in parallel has one component across from the other so the signal splits at a node, or junction.

------>component 1 ---->
So.... current in ->|                        |-----> current out
                    ----->component 2 ----->

God I hope that "diagram" turns out right...
Sorry, I was such a pr*ck. I'm still not clear what you are wanting to do but I think Amp Surgeon explained it pretty well. My only suggestion is to just ask your question initially with what you want to hook up to instead of just asking what an Ohm is.

Here is a diagram that I stole from IbanezPsycho that illustrates the difference better. Are you asking about connecting that Ampeg 800w deal to a speaker cabinet? Or a mixer or what?

PS. I realize English is not your native language. Again, my apologies.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 21, 2008,