I have an Ibanez RG series (H/S/H pickup arrangement). The pickups sound decent unless I jack up the treble on the tone knob. Then they get really harsh. I use a cheap amp ($200 Crate job), but it sounds the same through my Boss Micro BR. So I think the pickups are probably a large part of the problem.

But I have no idea what to replace them with. I would like to play several styles. Until I can afford a new guitar, which may be a while, this one needs to cover modern rock, classic rock, classic metal, blues, and jazz. The thing I love about the current pickups is that pinch harmonics are a breeze, and I'd like to maintain that aspect. I think with three pickups that such diversity shouldn't be too much of a problem, but again, I have no idea what to buy.

My budget is moderate, so don't go crazy with platinum covered, 24-karat gold-wound humbuckers, but I can do better than whatever you'd find at Wal-Mart.

Also, I have absolutely every intention of buying a nice amp as soon as I have the money, so please don't take the Crate amp into account when answering. I just want the guitar to sound good, and then I'll find an amp that sounds good with it.

Thanks in advance!
Dimarzio Breed in the bridge. Great, open sounding pickup. Very versatile.

I like the Super 3 in the neck. The middle pickup is really a toss up though.
yea id say dimarzio is ur best bet, maybe a seymour duncan JB/59 combo?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
If you're in Europe, check out Bare Knuckle Pickups. I hear they're all the rage.

Quote by grand_funky
Dimarzio or fishman.

Fishman pickups are more for acoustics you know?
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Aug 4, 2008,
for amps go bugera for sure, they are the best all around amps on the market, at the best price
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Dimarzio Breed in the bridge. Great, open sounding pickup. Very versatile.

I like the Super 3 in the neck. The middle pickup is really a toss up though.

I'd just go straight for a pair of Breeds, especially if harsh treble is an issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'd just go straight for a pair of Breeds, especially if harsh treble is an issue.

Right you are.

The Super 3 is quite bright and wouldn't really help the problem I guess.

i like the old school Dimarzio PAF Pro pickups. has a meduim output. but still shreds. its GREAT for sliceing through the mix of a bunch of intruments. Great for High Gain amps

i have those is most of my guitars in the neck spot and a Dimarzio PAF Joe(joe satriani) in my Fender FMT telecaster deluxe neck spot.

i use a Dimarzio Fred(Mo Jo now by Satriani) in my bridge pickups on my Scheter C1 and fender strat. AWSOME pickup
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Seymour Duncan Hot rodded set, JB and Jazz/'59 screams versatility. Can't recommend any single coil since i have zero experience on them :p I'm all humbucker man.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
Seymour Duncan Hot rodded set, JB and Jazz/'59 screams versatility. Can't recommend any single coil since i have zero experience on them :p I'm all humbucker man.

The JB also screams treble which is the exact opposite of what the TS asked for,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com