So I have been looking for an OD or boost pedal to push my amps dirty channel into metal territory for some good metal saturation and tone. I recently checked one of the local shops site and they have some really awesome deals. Not sure when I'll be able to get down there so I thought I might as well get some opinions going in so I cant act with some speed. Here are the options I'm looking at and any input would be appreciated. Also I'm in canada so these prices are gold here :P

Used MXR Zakk Wylde OD - 69$ ( not a big fan of zakk wylde at all but it seems like a well made pedal and for the price it seems like a steal)

New MXR Micro Amp M-133 - 89$ ( suppose to be an amazing boost from what I've heard and its about 40$ off on sale)

New Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster Clean Boost- 39$ ( supose to be a good boost and damn cheap)

Used Vox CT-02OD Cooltron Big Ben Tube Overdrive- 99$ ( tube overdrive for under 100$ !!!! This is my favourite deal by far so I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me if this pedal will be good for metal on an already dirty channel )

I have been thinking about going for a Digitech Bad monkey till I saw this. Really cool deals and I just wanted to hear some opinions .(especially on the tube overdrive) I'll try to get done to the shop as soon as I can but I wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also only have about 100$ to spend
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I've always liked the ZW-44 in front of a dirty amp. Your best bet is to try them all and see what you like best.

The Big Ben actually gets quite grainy so you could use it as a standalone on your clean channel. It won't get to the br00talz though.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
What amp do you have?

Mesa boogie Express 5:25 1X12
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
take your amp and guitar to the store and try them out.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Is the microamp a clean boost? It looks like one. If it is, then it's way overpriced.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by UpTheIrons!
Is the microamp a clean boost? It looks like one. If it is, then it's way overpriced.

It is.

I wouldn't say it's overpriced though. Some clean boosts go for double.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why is it overpriced?

The Linear Power Booster isn't a clean boost, btw. Name another clean boost.

I only know of the MXR Micro Amp, and the BBE Boosta Grande.

Keeley Katana Boost.

There's the Java boost as well.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Now, the Katana is an overpriced Clean Boost.

The Java Boost isn't a clean boost, though. Looks like some kind of Rangemaster-type derivative.

Really? I always assumed the Java was a clean boost.

The Katana was the boost I has in mind when I said double or triple the price of the Micro amp
Haha, well, there we go!

And yeah, I looked up the Java boost.
Quote by Keeley's site
The Java Boost is a germanium based TREBLE BOOSTER, it is not a clean boost. It is designed to give you classic tones from the 60's and 70's, and man does it ever!!! It must be used with a cranked amp that is overdriven or distorting a bit already. The more the amp and pedal are cranked, the more the creamy, beautiful, sustaining distortion there will be.

What makes this pedal kill of the hill is that it has the REAL DEAL, no joke Mullard OC44. Yup, Made in Holland. We've only got a small number of the OC44 and CV7003 transistors. Please order soon as this will be a limited edition pedal. Looking for the Ultimate in Boosters? The Perfect Boost for your main overdrive pedal? From Surf to FUZZ...the best cutting and biting tone from a pedal! Check out www.javaboost.com for web site dedicated to this tone master

There's your answer!

Haha. And yeah, it's a treble booster, and he brags about it using a real Germanium OC44. Sounds like a Rangemaster to me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha, well, there we go!

And yeah, I looked up the Java boost.

There's your answer!

Haha. And yeah, it's a treble booster, and he brags about it using a real Germanium OC44. Sounds like a Rangemaster to me.

Cool stuff.

I think I'd rather get a Beano boost instead though. I have a thing for the Analogman pedals.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why is it overpriced?

The Linear Power Booster isn't a clean boost, btw. Name another clean boost.

I only know of the MXR Micro Amp, and the BBE Boosta Grande.

Whats the difference between a clean boost and a linear boost anyways LOL? And I agree the micro amp isnt overpriced. And this may be a stupid question but a boost boosts your signal and an OD pedal overdrives your pre amp tubes? Isnt that what a booster does :P Anyways I'm confused.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
THe analogman stuff is too pricey for what it does.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Whats the difference between a clean boost and a linear boost anyways LOL? And I agree the micro amp isnt overpriced. And this may be a stupid question but a boost boosts your signal and an OD pedal overdrives your pre amp tubes? Isnt that what a booster does :P Anyways I'm confused.

And OD pedal usually adds clipping from FETs or diodes or something. It doesn't overdrive your tubes more. That's a common misconception.

It COULD, if you have the gain/level/volume on the OD pedal set high enough.

The EHX Linear Boost just kinda changes your tone a bit - just not transparent.

A clean booster boosts your signal without changes your tone - effectively giving you more gain, in addition to your amps, but without changing the frequency response.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Cool stuff.

I think I'd rather get a Beano boost instead though. I have a thing for the Analogman pedals.

I'd rather build a "Beanoboost". Actually, I did. With 6 different frequency response curves/tones/input capacitors. For less than 40 bucks.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
And OD pedal usually adds clipping from FETs or diodes or something. It doesn't overdrive your tubes more. That's a common misconception.

It COULD, if you have the gain/level/volume on the OD pedal set high enough.

The EHX Linear Boost just kinda changes your tone a bit - just not transparent.

A clean booster boosts your signal without changes your tone - effectively giving you more gain, in addition to your amps, but without changing the frequency response.

I'd rather build a "Beanoboost". Actually, I did. With 6 different frequency response curves/tones/input capacitors. For less than 40 bucks.

So a linear booster is a bad idea for what I want?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not necessarily, if you like how the LPB sounds, go for it!

Awesome. Should I look at tube pedals as tube amps vs SS or is it different for pedals?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
So I might as well just go for a non tube that sounds good then waste the money?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It is.

I wouldn't say it's overpriced though. Some clean boosts go for double.

wrong it isnt a clean boost is adds drive to the mix.. its one knob essencialy its a gain knob i have one works really well
^Do you even know what "clean boost" means? It means it doesn't color your tone.

BTW, gain and volume are pretty much the same thing...So it adds "drive" by increasing "gain", without coloring your tone.

Quote by Slanderous666
So I might as well just go for a non tube that sounds good then waste the money?

Pretty much.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Do you even know what "clean boost" means? It means it doesn't color your tone.

BTW, gain and volume are pretty much the same thing...So it adds "drive" by increasing "gain", without coloring your tone.

Pretty much.

Honestly Ive heard amazing things about the Digitech bad monkey but there isnt on around in the area. I can order one but does anyone have any experience that backs up the really awesome things said about the bad monkey?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Probably looking at the ZW44 OD or Digitech Bad Monkey and Ill try out the EH Linear booster and MXR micro amp to see how they compare. Still wondering about the Bad monkey though.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Anyone know anything about a bad monkey and metal?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by forsaknazrael
A lot of people use a Bad Monkey here. Search for it.

It's got a similar frequency response to a Tube Screamer.

Sounds good Ill take a look.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
what about the MXR/CAE clean boost/OD? two pedals in one? i know it's aboot 130$, put it's two in one! or, you could just get the CAE clean boost.

but if you want a great OD, MXR ZW-44 Overdrive FTW. alot of people bash it, because it's not "Zakk-tone-in-a-box". but it's really versatile and you can get a pretty clean boost out of it.

that or a TS808.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
what about the MXR/CAE clean boost/OD? two pedals in one? i know it's aboot 130$, put it's two in one! or, you could just get the CAE clean boost.

but if you want a great OD, MXR ZW-44 Overdrive FTW. alot of people bash it, because it's not "Zakk-tone-in-a-box". but it's really versatile and you can get a pretty clean boost out of it.

that or a TS808.

All awesome ideas! I've been looking at all of the those pedals and the ZW and the CAE clean boost are pretty awesome. Th ZW will get bashed im sure but I guess we always have to deal with peoples ignorance. I will definately look at those two thanks .
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by SRV59
wrong it isnt a clean boost is adds drive to the mix.. its one knob essencialy its a gain knob i have one works really well

A clean boost is a device that will boost your signal before it hits the preamp, ergo, driving the amp harder. What happens when you do that on a tube amp? It will add breakup.

A clean boost will only stay 'clean' if you're using an amp with a lot of headroom or a transistor amp.

So maybe you should look it up next time before you call someone wrong yeah?
Damn the CAE booster is like 109$ here in canada on "sale".... damn manufacturer policies on international shipping!
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni