Well my bro wants to get into recording, because he has a dream of being a producer. We went to musicians friend to look at the recording section, and there is a ton of sub categories. We're guessing recording packages would be the best bet, but he wouldnt want the ones that come with a gearbox would he? Cuz he doesnt play guitar and he actually listens to rap but he wants to be able to come up with ideas on keyboard yet still be able to record my guitar playing so would a recording package that includes a keyboard be a good idea?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
You'd want some kind of software, a interface that has mic preamps and midi in/out/thru and a midi keyboard.

That's just the bare bones though. After that you start buying more midi patches to get different sounds etc.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
If he's into hip hop: Get a mac, use garageband, get a keyboard (check out oxygen 8), get a midi interface to connect the keyboard to the computer, and a small audio interface to connect a mic and/or guitar to the computer.
You don't have to have a mac.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
If he is true to the hood him and some of his homies will need to case out some joints like this one.....

Then roll out in a stolen van and get whats owed to you for shizzle my nizzle...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
If he is true to the hood him and some of his homies will need to case out some joints like this one.....

Then roll out in a stolen van and get whats owed to you for shizzle my nizzle...

lolz yeah.

But really to start he'll just need some decent(ish) seqencing software, cubase or sonar would do. (dont think you need a Mac) Perhaps some plugins for MIDI, any keyboard that has MIDI (pretty much all nowerdays), a USB or firewire interface with a mic input and midi I/O, and a mic for guitar, shure sm57 would be fine.
Thats the barebones, then you can go into more advanced plugins like reason, and better preamps, mics and so forth.
R&R Section...(stickies)

Tweaks guide (in my sig)

The recording packs can save you money but they are limiting in some cases at to what quality gear you get. If he is serious about going into recording I would suggest getting the best gear you can right now. The toneports are not for pro grade recording, they are "idea interfaces" used in small home studios....

The PreSonus FP10 is large and has firewire connection which is important at that input amount. It is a very popular interface for the price range.

But I cant suggest gear until I know what your budget is and what you plan to record both now and in the future...
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 4, 2008,
Cubase as a software package will most certainly 'will do.'

If it's good enough for Timbaland, Moby, Outkast, Godsmack, and Paul McCartney, it will most certainly 'do' for anyone.

Timbaland citation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJCzwnPOOs Screenshot around 6:06

The only downside is it is quite expensive, and warez versions are well known to be quite unstable.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 5, 2008,
Well, if he's into hip-hop, perhaps a light version of Ableton Live (~$200) could be a good start, then get a pad controller like this Akai ($200).

Additional money would be spent:

1. Additional samplers. Maybe software too (Reason).
2. Sound cards, like the M Audio Delta 44. This is so you can output the sound to accurate...
3. Monitors. Speakers with 8 inch drivers, preferably backed up by a subwoofer, will represent the low end well and accurately.
4. Keyboards. You may want to consider M Audio's Axiom or Oxygen series over the Akai if he knows a little music theory.
5. A simple interface for you. If you want to record your amp's output, get a SM57 and a M Audio Fasttrack or Art Dual Pre. The former is more useful if you want to shape your guitar sound with software like iZotope Trash or software amps by plugging your guitar directly in its DI input.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by jambi_mantra
You don't have to have a mac.

You'll be happier if you do though.

I went to recording school worked in a recording studio, and now own my own multimedia development company. I've worked on Macs and PCs, professional gear and pro-sumer stuff. The Mac is a superior platform. If you dump a ton of money in a PC, you can get good results, but you'll still be tied to Microsoft, running Windows.
I got an mbox2 with protools LE earlier this year, and i've been really happy with it. On the surface, it might seem a bit pricey, but I figure by the time you would purchase a USB/Firewire interface and a full-featured software package, you're pretty much spending the same thing, and this is all together in one package. Add a USB keyboard, and with digidesign's Xpand plugin (included with Protools), you can make some pretty sweet electronic tunes.

The only thing to watch is compatibility. I lucked out and the mbox works with my PC, I hear that a lot of people have problems with it. Digidesign has a compatibility section on their website that helps you to determine if it will work on your system.