Page 1 of 2
Ok so my strap comes off my Gibson SG quiet easily so i wondering if installing a strap lock system is something u can do ur self and if so what all do u need to do to install it? Also what models of strap locks would be the best, and once u install the strap lock can u easily take off the strap or is it harder to take it off?

my bad if this is the wrong forum

thanks ahead of time
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I put some on my Ibanez, and all I needed was a screwdriver. It was VERY easy and only took a couple minutes. Just follow the instructions, and you'll be fine.

Edit: It also depends on what straplocks you get. I would recommend the Dimarzio cliplocks.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
http://www.giggear.co.uk/home/index.php?m=shop&prodid=868
these bad boys are all ya need, will take 2 minutes to put on and wild monkeys with plyers cant rip them out
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
very easy. I got schaller ones and I'm very happy with them. According to the packaging they hold like 300 lbs or something

edit: ^ya i've got the ones in that link in the post above me
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
It is easy. You just take out the screw from your strap holder, take the strap holder off, place the strap-lock holder (like the strap lock equivalent of a strap holder) on and screw it in with the provided screw. Then you just attach the locks to your strap. You get instructions with them anyway.
so what do u guys think about these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Dual-Design-Straplok-System-100195164-i1130342.gc do they seem pretty solid?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
so what do u guys think about these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Dual-Design-Straplok-System-100195164-i1130342.gc do they seem pretty solid?

These were the ones I'm thinking of getting. They look much more stable with the dual design, and I think it said it holds up to 800 lbs or pressure? The guitar would practically just break after that anyway. I'm pretty interested to see if anyones tried them.
Don't use dunlops on SGs. They stick out too much and makes the guitar fall forward. Use schallers instead.
Quote by PanHead
Don't use dunlops on SGs. They stick out too much and makes the guitar fall forward. Use schallers instead.

how does it make the guitar fall foward i dont understand
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by edusty2010
These were the ones I'm thinking of getting. They look much more stable with the dual design, and I think it said it holds up to 800 lbs or pressure? The guitar would practically just break after that anyway. I'm pretty interested to see if anyones tried them.

If you could exert 800 pounds of pressure you would die.
Quote by sandman-105
how does it make the guitar fall foward i dont understand

he means neck dive and yeah they probably would stick out too far
Quote by necroscience13
he means neck dive and yeah they probably would stick out too far

What I meant is that the top of the guitar falls away from you, it's not laying against your body. I found the dunlops annoying on my SG. Schallers made it much better.
Quote by PanHead
What I meant is that the top of the guitar falls away from you, it's not laying against your body. I found the dunlops annoying on my SG. Schallers made it much better.

cool man thanks for clearing that up and yeah i see what u mean they are pretty big. for comparison how big are the Schallers compared to like the size like tuners or somin, or is it like two of the standard strap thingys on the guitar on top of each other? hope that makes since lol
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
get the dunlop ones. i have them and i have dome some pretty crazy ****. swung the guitar by the strap, spun it around my neck etc. good stuff.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by sandman-105
Ok so my strap comes off my Gibson SG quiet easily so i wondering if installing a strap lock system is something u can do ur self and if so what all do u need to do to install it? Also what models of strap locks would be the best, and once u install the strap lock can u easily take off the strap or is it harder to take it off?

Yes, you can do it yourself. It's really easy. I recommend Schaller strap locks. With Schallers, and Dunlops, it is simple to take the strap off. You just use the release mechanism. I really hope you get some. I know from experience that Gibson strap buttons are pathetically small.
Quote by Martin Scott
Yes, you can do it yourself. It's really easy. I recommend Schaller strap locks. With Schallers, and Dunlops, it is simple to take the strap off. You just use the release mechanism. I really hope you get some. I know from experience that Gibson strap buttons are pathetically small.
Troo 'dat. They ARE pathetically small. Gibsons are a death trap stock, honestly. It's a broken headstock just waiting to happen. I think Dunlop should sell the dual design straplocks and the strap buttons out of that, they're HUGE.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've got the DiMarzio Cliplok strap. It was easy to install, and it's even easier to remove the strap from the guitar. You MUST use the Dimarzio strap though, since it comes with the buckles. Your guitar is never gonna fall, though!
No they are extremely difficult and you could ruin your guitar if not careful. Most would charge $100 for a setup of straplocks, but ship your guitar to me and I'll do it for $80

just kidding, they are very easy, and you should be able to do it without any instructions.
super easy. my friend has an sg and the dunlops and it doesnt bother him.
also the dunlops can double as regular strap pins if needed.
dimarzio cliplock ftw!

and its easy, u just unscrew the strap button thingies on your guitar and put the strap over the screw then screw the strap button back on
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
dimarzio cliplock ftw!

and its easy, u just unscrew the strap button thingies on your guitar and put the strap over the screw then screw the strap button back on
yeah i dont fully trust my SG to plastic clips lol
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
yeah i dont fully trust my SG to plastic clips lol

Man believe me, those things work wonders lol. I know, they're plastic clips. My friend gave me his guitar with those things on, and I was TRYING to throw it off. It can't be done. They're awesome! Unfortunately though I don't think the strap part of it is very comfortable
I have a few gibby's. They've ALL got schallers on them. Can't go wrong, metal to metal contact, spring loaded lock. Pretty solid. Availability seems to be an issue at times though.
Use schaller. If your screws are like mine on my explorer then the one behind the neck is smaller than the one on the bottom of your guitar. schallers fit both. you don't need to force it and they work great. I have friends with bad experiences with the dunlop ones. I think musicians friend has schaller straplock but they might have another brands name now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schaller-Strap-Locks-and-Buttons-Pair-?sku=360389

you might want to be careful and use wood glue and filler when putting the screws in. you don't want to strip the wood. That's what stupid people do and after a whiles use the stripped wood is big enough for the screw to slide out and that's why all those morons rated it bad.

I haven't heard great things about dimarzio straplock straps but i haven't heard too many bad things. I have a huge leather padded strap so naturally, I went with straplock. If you don't mind the straps on the dimarzios and you don't already have a strap, go with them
Last edited by kai29 at Aug 5, 2008,
well now im pretty dead set on schallers but i was wondering if i have to use the screws that come the schallers or if could use the screws already on my SG?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I've found that the front strap button screw will fit right through a schaller strap lock, but the one that comes on the back of the guitar is just a little too big so you may need to use the one that comes with the straplocks. Makes sure they're snug and don't spin, jsut don't over tighten them to where they strip out the holes. Best thing to do is use a hand tool rather than a power tool. If you use the schaller screw and it loosens up at all, put a couple toothpicks in.
what do yall mean by toothpicks (asuming u dont literally mean toothpicks) ?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
The Schaller's have a longer screws that come with them. I've used them since they first came out and I've never had a problem with them. I bought a Toni Iomi Signature model Gibson and I tried Dunlops because they didn't have any Schallers in. Was that a mistake I almost lost my guitar because his strap button is located on the top horn. As soon as my music store got some Schallers in I replaced them. The other thing I like about Schallers over the Dimarzio's is that you can use your favorite strap with it. All my Gibbys have them on it.
I've got Schallers (branded as Fender) on my Tele, and Dunlops on my Strat.

The Schallers feel more "secure" (probably because the guitar clips into a U shaped lock) but there is nothing wrong with the Dunlops - the big advantage of the Dunlops is that you can put a standard strap (without the other half of the lock) on the guitar, I wouldn't try that with the Schallers, which means if my short arse mate wants to play my tele he has to sit down. The downside of the Dunlops is that the strap clips into the end, so it messes about with the balance of a guitar a little if the strap pin is on the back of the guitar.
Quote by RPGoof
I've got the DiMarzio Cliplok strap. It was easy to install, and it's even easier to remove the strap from the guitar. You MUST use the Dimarzio strap though, since it comes with the buckles. Your guitar is never gonna fall, though!

I've got one of those DiMarzio Cliplok straps, and I hate it. It certainly keeps your guitar from falling. But the strap itself is really cheap and rubbish. Really uncomfortable tough abrasive nylon. It's a bitch once you have them on, since you can only use that horrible strap thereafter. With the Schallers, you can use any strap you want (I use the 'No. 1 Stretch Strap' because it is super comfortable), it's just as safe (or more so- there's a metal clasp holding your guitar on, not a nasty plastic clip). Furthermore, the plastic buckle on those DiMarzio ones scratches your guiar up (not to mention the abrsive nylon), and they just look like crap. If you haven't got one yet, I would recommend staying away from DiMarzio Cliploks.

I bought mine for my Gibson, but when they came I was just like "Erm.. no.." and resigned them to my cheap Yamaha bass lol!
bump
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
While reading these posts I was cringing at the thought of using toothpicks and wood glue on my LP. I chose the route with a little more work, but its certainly worth it. I picked up a set of ProLine strap locks. I noticed noone mentions them anywhere on this forum. Anyway, theyre very solid, and designed so that even if you pull out the pin to release it, you have to lift the guitar up out of them, it cant simply fall out. That probably doesn't make much sense, but oh well.

Anyway, I just drilled out the center of the straplock for the back of the guitar to fit in the stock screw and it works fine. The stock screw near the neck fit with no problem. I also used a rubber o-ring under the lock near the neck and a plastic washer under the lock near the back just to make sure the guitar wouldnt get damaged at all. In all, took me about 20 minutes, definitely worth it.

Theyre very solid, and I can use any strap I want, and take it off and put it on in a matter of seconds.
i HIGHLY suggest the dimarzios
to what people are saying about plastic is all wrong. there are even ones that have metal instead of plastic buckles.
it will never fall. it wont rip. its comfortable. and imo it looks cool.

the only con is that you cant really take off the initial buckle part.

and to Martin Scott's post: i you have your own opinions and all but i dont think what you said about the dimarzio straps were entirely true. the strap is basically made of the same material as a seat belt and it feels the same too.
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
aw, I think the dimarzios are amazingly comfortable unlike some leather straps and that other rough stuff most straps are made out of that cut into your neck the seatbelt like material is really smooth and not so rigid
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
If you know how to use a screwdriver then you won't have a problem installing straplocks. My only complaint with the DiMarzio strap/straplocks is that the plastic clip has the chance of breaking. I know one broke on one of my friends who use to play a while ago. I have both the dunlop and schaller straplocks right now though. I think it's the Schallers that are the 'U' shape ones, correct? Anyways, I prefer those over any other straplocks that I know of.
Page 1 of 2