Quote by devilmaycrykid
I don't know how to improvise and i don't know any scales or how to use them. Any advice?

learn some scales
and start playing other people solos to get some influence or ideas for licks of your own
Yeah i want to learn badley because all i can do now is different sweeps and i want more feeling when i play.I would prefer to do more blues stuff or just anything with alot of feeling in it.
minor pentatonic is a good way to go. Scales are more like suggested paterns for staying in the same key. I found betweenthelicks.com a while back, has some interesting rock and blues rhythms that you can improv over.

But really the only way to learn is to do it
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Pick up licks from other artists. Don't steal their identity, but learn what you can. Scales on their own are no good if you can't apply them. Just playing them up and down won't really give you anything.

I'm crap at improvising, but I've noticed that many solos have sort of "key fragments" and connections between them. Also, solos employ various...I wouldn't call them "techniques", but a good solo is constructed from elements.

Like, if you deconstruct a solo, you might find that there's, for example, some slow melodic parts, followed by a repeating pattern, followed by some sweeps, followed by some blues licks and so on. It's all in these sections, rather than a bunch of notes. It's like speaking a language: just saying words and letters might not make any sense. You gotta know phrases. That's something that can't be taught. You learn it by listening.
Quote by devilmaycrykid
Yeah i want to learn badley because all i can do now is different sweeps and i want more feeling when i play.I would prefer to do more blues stuff or just anything with alot of feeling in it.

Use your ears?
You need to start learning some theory to help you understand why things work the way they do musically.

Start here...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You need to start learning some theory to help you understand why things work the way they do musically.

Start here...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html

steven seagull where do i find the rest of these articles? could you piont me in the right direction
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
thanks just ignore the pm i sent you...
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
no probs - those articles are some of the best things I've read on this site, they're fun to read but they're also really in depth.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by PanHead
Use your ears?

easier said than done.

It comes with experience, I only know a few scales and I can't say I'm a shredder or even decent at playing guitar, but I can structure something that sounds right together.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
easier said than done.

It comes with experience, I only know a few scales and I can't say I'm a shredder or even decent at playing guitar, but I can structure something that sounds right together.

That may be true but it gets you out of the rut.

I started out with scales and craps and I've been trying to forget about 'em already.
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Guitarists-Everything-Wanted/dp/063406651X

that book is amazing, it will teach you how to make every chord and create every scale in your head, knowing both of those you can pretty much do anything you want with improv.
I found the book to be the best thing I ever did in order to really improve my playing on whole not to mention get me to the point where I can "sorta" improv.

Also, the best thing you can do to teach yourself something is just to write songs, learn a scale and spend an our just doodling around in it, stuff like that. Learn by doing, its the best advice any musician can be given!

Best of luck man!
for blues get the minor pentatonic down (get a chart of the fingerboard and the notes of the scale on it) and just work with it and whatever other notes that sound good for the jam. i use a lot of other notes than just the pentatonic for blues. other scales and just notes that sound good to my ear. all the empty notes inbetween the notes of the pentatonic, in otherwords chromatic notes or just one after the other going up and down the fretboard.

takes time to get a bunch of good riffs together and then string them together to make a jam. just randomly do a riff of some kind and if it is good sounding, repeat it till u memorize it. keep doing that and in time you put a bunch of them together and then alter them a bit as u get bored.
my opinion, learn the minor penatonic, then the major scale and learn how to apply the different modes to soloing
I learnt how to improvise by getting learning the basics about modes and keys, scales are a part of that too.
Basically once you get comfortable with a certain scale and know what key to play it, its all gravy from there, the riffs just come out.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Learn the modes, and some basic music theory. Some people tend to think that theory will take the feeling from your playing, which is completely untrue. Learning theory will help you figure out how to create the moods you want to create.

That, and just play along with a song you already know, and see what you can come up with.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!