can somebody please tell me what key this chord pattern is in and what scales would you use over it

Am-C-G-D Am-C-G-E
Quote by blackenedktulu
I Don't Really Know But Capitalising The First Letter In Every Word Is Really Annoying.

As For Me I Like To Play My Own Songs, As I Am Not Into Show Boating.
yeah thanks i thought it was A minor
Quote by blackenedktulu
I Don't Really Know But Capitalising The First Letter In Every Word Is Really Annoying.

Quote by grimguitarist91
its in the key of c major/a minor

I'd say definitely that it's A minor.
Quote by GeekInThePink
A harmonic minor

Though the E chord is suggestive of harmonic minor, it's still A minor; harmonic minor is not a type of key.
Quote by :-D
I'd say definitely that it's A minor.

Though the E chord is suggestive of harmonic minor, it's still A minor; harmonic minor is not a type of key.

Definitely A minor, but A minor and C major are the same, no?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Definitely A minor, but A minor and C major are the same, no?

Emphasis on the "no". The progression resolves to A, not C. Thus, A is your tonal center and it's A minor. They have the same notes, but different intervals and tonal centers.
Quote by :-D
Emphasis on the "no". The progression resolves to A, not C. Thus, A is your tonal center and it's A minor. They have the same notes, but different intervals and tonal centers.

Ok I understand now, thanks
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
so how do i close this thread?
Quote by blackenedktulu

Quote by RichieJovie
The D isn't in A minor though is it?

It contains the F# that would belong to A melodic minor, which is still consistent with the G# in the E chord. The progression strongly resolves to A as well.
Quote by GeekInThePink
A harmonic minor

no
wrong
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
no
wrong

You could at least be kind and say WHY it's wrong.

(someone said it before, A harmonic minor isn't a key, it's a scale)
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
no
wrong

I already addressed this and explained the reasoning behind it. What you said explained nothing, therefore not helping in any way, and will simply annoy him.