I really liked his sound on Rock Discipline, on the intro/outro music and the improvised solo he played to demonstrate the application of scalar technique to improvising. Could anyone recommend me some stuff he's done with Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment where his tone is as it was at the time Rock Discipline was recorded? I've heard Suspended Animation and I thought it was pretty cool, but I really liked his tone and phrasing as it was on Rock Discipline.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
His tone on RD is when he used to use his Ibanez sigature JPM. It's got the RG attitude.
His newer tone with MusicMan is impeccable I gotta say. So clear, so meaty and soars through. Though it's almost too perfect, and that's sometimes a double edged sword.

LTE - both albums
DT - Images, Awake, Six Degrees. Then check out Train of Thought, a full-out heavy album w/ 7 strings and C standard tuning.
Lost interest.
I'd say the best albums I can think of are Images and Words and Metropolis Pt2: Scenes From a Memory.

His solo album is also worth a look; it shows a slightly different side of his playing that doesn't often get shown in his other work but it's still very distinctly him.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I really enjoyed his playing on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence as well as Scenes From a Memory personally. Images and Words was also a stellar album. Mind, this is all with Dream Theater, and I've heard some of his solo work is by far, the most impressive even when compared to his work with Dream Theater.

Just my Two Cents.
Scenes From a Memory- my friend gave me that cd and said "this cd changed my life" and I laughed and he said "dude seriously". And it changed mine too, musically and... not spiritually (im atheist) but something like that. philosophically I guess. This is Concept Albums at its best. listen beginning to end in one shot the first time tho. youll cry.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i really like his playing with the explorer's club. they're a progressive "supergroup" with JP playing most of the guitar parts on the album. they only wrote two albums and i have only heard the first album, but i love it. they wrote age of impact in 1998 so petrucci would have been using his ibanez on the album. i would definitely check out age of impact if i were you.
^!!!!!!!

I did NOT know that.
...and Marty Friedman plays on Raising the Mammoth.

Must.Get.NOW

Thank you my friend!!!
Lost interest.