Ok, my neighbor and good friend has a 1951 (I think) Gretsch Guitar his Dad gave him that he hasn't played in like 30 years. He is going to let me try it out once he gets his amp back from a friend (I play acoustic so I have no amp.) He is gonna let me have the guitar for awhile. I want to restring it and clean it since its been gathering dust in his house for 30 years. I don't have pics yet but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this brand. Are they good guitars? Also it has a weird bridge, it is like a round "bolt looking thing" That the strings go over top of. Anyone know anything about this?
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Thank you for the quick reply. http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gretsch.html
Looks like a "space control" bridge. Anyone know if these are difficult to string? Also recommendations on string gauge. It's not my guitar so I don't wanna screw it up. Pics asap.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
You sonofabitch! j/k I love gretsch's sweet find man
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Yeah it is, thanx. Unfortunately I don't think I'm gonna be able to keep it. Hopefully though.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Dude, say you lost it. And then send it to me. They're worthless, in every way.

Joking! They are ace guitars, you should see if you can keep it. Do you know what model, by the way?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
That's something else man. You'll have the opportunity to play a very exceptional guitar. Hope the electronics are still ok after 30 years of slumber and hope it was kept properly (w/ strings lossen, nice place, etc). Brian Setzer and Reverend Horton Heat are today's famous guitarists who uses it. Its widely used in the rockabilly/psychobilly scene today after Chet Atkins on country music. Hope you well on it.

btw, check out this pic. he used to be my bandmate. he uses a Brian Setzer model:
Attachments:
utour06cam92.jpg
I'm unsure of the model at the moment. Yes, it was kept in a hard case in the house. Kept nicely with strings loosened.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Gretsch is an amazing company that makes even more amazing guitars, my Gretsch is the love of my love and I have a lower end model. Sounds like you should try and get it off of the kid, Show us pictures soon, I'd love to see it.

Does your friend play?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Lol, he's not a kid hes like 55. But yeah he used to play but hasn't played in 30 years, sold 15 50's fenders a few years ago b4 i knew him or played. This is the only guitar he has left because it was his dad's favorite.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
I'd try and get it outta him, say it's going to the hands of a friend
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Yeah, i'm gonna try.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100