okay i have tried to be open minded and i have given this band a fair listen. i have listened to every single one of their albums (although probably not every song) but i have listened to them a very good bit. i do not understand how they are considered technically proficient or even good. it seems to me most of their songs always start out with one chord that makes no since and just sounds like random dissonance. example something like e-4 a-5 d-6, and then they play this note in an unrecognizable pattern. i guess the technicality is in that they memorize this terrible, nonsensical pattern of how you hit one note? i have tried to give their music a fair chance and i still will but their must be something im missing because this is just random garbage and id like to know what you guys see in them.
The fact that someone like you is confused and aloof to the bands sound is the very testament to their alleged technicality.

Also, use the search bar.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I love them because how over the place they are. I like them when I want to get pumped up for something. There's nothing very technically proficient about them though.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by nine01n
example something like e-4 a-5 d-6

Oh golly! Flat fifths galore!
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
im not confused about their sound, i have pretty much figured it out, im wondering if im missing something because i dont see anything that makes them very good, i think i could write a song in their style in just a few days with ease
The're full of energy
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I can tell you that a band with a name like Dillinger Escape Plan is definitely not metal.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
i know ive seen their live performance. the real reason im asking is because my guitar teacher (who is an excellent player) and i were having a conversation and he mentioned them, i told him to me it seems like it doesnt have structure and just a bunch of random notes, but he said that when you look at the transcriptions it all makes sense musically, and i just fail to see it can anyone explain
Quote by omicron2108
they suck.

that'sall you need to know.

Eh, they're definately not my type of thing, but they don't suck. They are skilled musicians and a unique band, although I'm not a big fan of their music. They're okay for a listen every now and then though.

But, they aren't metal and this should go in the hardcore forum.
i hate this band because i spent money on them and was disappointed

but they're OK. just the vocals are ****, and the music is a bit boring
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by nine01n
im not confused about their sound, i have pretty much figured it out, im wondering if im missing something because i dont see anything that makes them very good, i think i could write a song in their style in just a few days with ease

Yeah, but the difference is, your attempt wouldnt be good. They're good at what they do, which is technical, random hardcore/mathcore. I dont like them, but I have a certain respect for them.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
I like Psyopus better.

Yeah, thats tech metal for you, dissonant "random" chords wierd time signatures and very tallented musicians.
Quote by Psychopathology
Not metal or hardcore.

They're definitely a hardcore/metalcore band.

They belong in the hardcore forum. So I'm gonna go ahead and *REPORTED*
Why do you need an explanation? You don't like a certain type of music. It's not that hard to understand.

You don't necessarily need an open mind, it just has to suit your taste. Anyone can listen with an open mind, but alot of people will find mathcore annoying, alot of people will find classical boring, alot of people will find rap stupid. They're not defective, and neither are you (Although..."one chord that makes no since and just sounds like random dissonance"; that was dumb).
I find them sort of garbage, but the very fact that Mike Patton has been involved with them alone makes me want to try to get into them.