I recently had EMG's put in my ltd m200fm and it seems like they are too low from the strings. I don't hardly get as much crunch as I do on my other guitar equipped with emg's(same bridge pickup, different neck). But my other guitars pickups are much closer to the strings. The have a higher sitting pickup ring or something. So what I'm asking is, are my pickups in the pics below too low and far away from my strings to get the crunch I want or am I just going to have to settle for what I got? I did try another brand new 9v and got no change at all.

I know the pic is huge and kind of blurry but its the best I could get. http://uberwigget.googlepages.com/100_3279.JPG

Thank you
They could definitely be raised, but are not extremely low. Raising them will increase your output, so if you want more, just raise them.
The height isnt to bad and it really depends on how hard you play.. I had mine up high and I kept bottoming the strings out on the pickups so i lowered them and theres barely any change in tone.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 4, 2008,
ok dont quote me on this but i read somewhere that with active pickups it doesnt really affect the output at all cause its loaded with a preamp. dont quote me on this but to me it makes sense. with passives the closer u get the louder it ll get cause they arent powered but with actives i m thinking no matter how close u get the battery operated preamp will still raise the output to where it would if it was at a lower height.

get back to me tho and see if the output goes up cause i d like to know
Just curious - Would the pots and wiring make any difference?
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
your EMGs should be closer to the strings than the pickups on your other guitar. You can actually get away with having EMGs fairly close because the magnets in them are actually quite weak - the pickups themselves are low output, it's the preamp that boosts the signal and makes the resulting output hotter than passive pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Get 'em as close as you can without any interference. They're made that way and EMG says so.
Quote by Perturabo
Just curious - Would the pots and wiring make any difference?

Yes. You need to use the 25K pots that come with the EMGs.
Quote by steven seagull
your EMGs should be closer to the strings than the pickups on your other guitar. You can actually get away with having EMGs fairly close because the magnets in them are actually quite weak - the pickups themselves are low output, it's the preamp that boosts the signal and makes the resulting output hotter than passive pickups.

Bingo. Thats why EMGs run a lot quieter than other pickups, because the pickups themselves are very weak.

EMGs sound best when theyre as close as possible to the strings.

The same CANT be said for passive pickups. Its true, yes, that the closer they are the strings the more output you can get...but it also makes your tone go to hell (generally). Each passive pickup is different, the guitar itself even makes a difference in how good a pickup sounds at different distances from the strings.

Take some time to tweak with everything to find the sound you like best.
Yeah I have to 25k pots so im good there. I adjusted the height and settled on a good tone for me. I'm playing out of Randall rx75d combo so I guess I cant expect too much distortion as its overdrive channel sucks. And i have yet to find a petal to tickle my distortion fancy.

Oh and is it bad if my neck pickup tilts back and forth? My bridge pickup doesn't so I was wondering if its just normal. And would the 18v mod give me much more distortion?
Last edited by uberwigget at Aug 5, 2008,
The 18V mod gives you more headroom, mostly done for better clean tone. The pups tilting is ok.
You don't get the max out of EMG with a SS amp. They do wonders for tubes though.
The rx75d's are tube combos. They do sound great but I just could use a more intense metal tone.
Randall RX series aren't full tube amps...

EMG's really need a tube amp, but i'd say the pickup height is fine - mine are around the same height and sound fine.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
They only have a 'valve' preamp as far as I know, with SS output section. There is a big difference in all valve and having a valve in the amp, like the Vox Valvetronic series.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I was told recently that the tubes in the G3 and Hughes and Kettner amps are only activated on the distortion channel and not on the clean channel, does this sound right?
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Huh That's odd, didn't know that. I know my local store has a g3. Next time I go in there ill ask about it. But I have the older rx.
Quote by Perturabo
I was told recently that the tubes in the G3 and Hughes and Kettner amps are only activated on the distortion channel and not on the clean channel, does this sound right?

That sounds a bit strange. Who told you that? It could mean the preamp tubes arent used on the clean channel, but the poweramp tubes would need to be used unless it has a second, solid state poweramp. Doesnt seem very likely though.