I just finished my first guitar mod today, and I'm completely overjoyed with the results! I loved every second of it and its so nice to have an instrument which I've customised in the exact way I want.

I took my standard S470, and took out the middle pickup. I bought 2 concentric pots, a 3 way switch and an on/on switch (for a killswitch). I spent a while trying to wire it, but the switch I bought was crappy and different to normal switches so I couldn't find any diagrams to wire it up.

After 2 days off the project because I was working, I came back to it and realised that I only wanted the switch for the middle position. So I just wired it with a volume pot for each pickup, a tone pot for the bridge, and a killswitch.

When I plugged it in, I was absolutely amazed with the results! The guitar is so much more tonally versatile with this setup, and whats more, it actually just sounds so much better. I guess the stock wiring is somehow crap, because the guitar is so much more responsive, and my tone is twice as good- it just sounds so much fuller, and has so much more life to it! Before this I really wanted new pickups, but the rewiring has actually improved my tone so much I don't feel I need them (for a bit, they'd still be nice), and it cost a fraction of the price.

Anyway, sorry about the wall of text, here are pics!

Wiring:

Front:

The red circle is where I chipped loads of wood off... I glued it back, but the lines are pretty obvious. The guitar looks a little battered, but to be honest I really love that look. Pristine stuff just isn't for me I guess. This has more character.

I do have an unused pot though. Any ideas on what to put there? (Not volume or tone, something really cool). Thanks for any suggestions.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
That looks really nice. I've been wanting to try an Ibanez S for a while.

You should put a laser pointer in the hole where the pot goes.
That would be awesome.
Where did you buy your concentric pots? they look kinda strange to me.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.

I do have an unused pot though. Any ideas on what to put there? (Not volume or tone, something really cool). Thanks for any suggestions.

maybe a blend/mix between both pickups. that's what i'd do. you'd need a different pot though.
Quote by walker-rose
Where did you buy your concentric pots? they look kinda strange to me.

www.axesrus.com

They're just standard, concentric 500k pots.

Quote by noisefarmer
maybe a blend/mix between both pickups. that's what i'd do. you'd need a different pot though.

But the whole idea is that the mod uses this pot. + I already have a nice ability to blend through the two volume knobs.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
The only concentric pots ive seen look like two regular pots stacked. Yours look kinda squarish.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
you could add a black ice mod... cost about 2$ and gives a nice bluesy growl, its pretty cool, lol
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by walker-rose
The only concentric pots ive seen look like two regular pots stacked. Yours look kinda squarish.

They really look like the pots Jim_Invader found in that Tolex Strat, don't ya think?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I cant recall those pots. But i looked on the axesrus website and found them, so my curiosity is satisfied.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.