14 25%
Hate EMG's
11 20%
Like em for metal but nothing else
19 34%
Blackouts are better
12 21%
Voters: 56.
Hate them, really don't like them at all. I don't even like them for metal.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i love em...not sogood on clean but you dont buy emgs for clean sounds
Sig space available, give me some praise
How about, a 'Meh, they're alright, get more bashing than they deserve kinda thing'.

Considering the high output doesn't give a 'true' clean, I ished liked them when I played one for some blues. Weren't as stale as people said they were.

Oh well, I'll stick with passive pickups.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
What If I thought they were just ok..?(mitch hedberg)

I dont have any EMG equiped guitars, but from what I've played are great for distorted metal tones. Not so much clean,...
Guitars:
Jackson JS300 Kelly
Jackson DK2 Dinky
Ibanez RG 7321
Ibanez Nylon acoustic

Amps:
Crate 15 watt(Broke)
Dean 10 watt amp
Peavey Valveking 112
Peavey XXX(Lookin for a cab...)

Pedals:
G2 Zoom Multi-FX(Tuner)
They completely rob your guitar of its unique tonal characteristics.

Good for high gain metal, I guess, since it doesn't require you to have tone anyway.
I really don't like EMGs; they just don't sound as good as a good set of passive pickups to me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i love my 89 and 60. I can get an extremely sweet clean tone out of it running it through my jsx and mark IV. the 81 is alright, it has a job, and does it well enough. To get its full effect of any emg give it the right tone wood and amp and it does a great job.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by al112987

Good for high gain metal, I guess, since it doesn't require you to have tone anyway.

Or a natural sound at all for that matter. Just scooped mids and high gain :/
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
They give a pretty warm clean sound. I've played LH-150s and 81's. They both sound really good, and definately for metal.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I don't understand why people would bother with EMG's if they don't plan on playing just metal. I'm equipping one of my guitars with an 81 and 85 for just that style of music. I don't know much about the other EMG pickups, are they just not meant for metal?
Quote by Exaiphnes
I don't understand why people would bother with EMG's if they don't plan on playing just metal. I'm equipping one of my guitars with an 81 and 85 for just that style of music. I don't know much about the other EMG pickups, are they just not meant for metal?

If you like the tone then why would you not use them for anything else? You do know that metal isn't the only genre in the world with high-gain guitar sounds right?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you like the tone then why would you not use them for anything else? You do know that metal isn't the only genre in the world with high-gain guitar sounds right?

I've yet to experience EMG's for myself so I'm not exactly 100% sure what they sound like aside from youtube web camera microphones, most of them being something around the metal genre. This is purely from my own eyes and ears, not a statement that's 100% true. So using my assumption of 81 and 85 EMG's meant for a heavier metal, wouldn't I want to use different and more efficient pickups if I wanted to use different/multiple styles?
Love'em

Always have, and always will be my pickups of choice.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by Exaiphnes
I've yet to experience EMG's for myself so I'm not exactly 100% sure what they sound like aside from youtube web camera microphones, most of them being something around the metal genre. This is purely from my own eyes and ears, not a statement that's 100% true. So using my assumption of 81 and 85 EMG's meant for a heavier metal, wouldn't I want to use different and more efficient pickups if I wanted to use different/multiple styles?

My point wasn't that they're meant for metal or not I was just saying that even if they are meant for metal if you like the low-gain tone or even the clean tone why would you (you being anyone) not use them for those sounds as well?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Exaiphnes

If you want versatile EMG's, check out the 81tw/89 set or the 81/60 set. Or something with an 81/SA/SA setup.
I prefer the way Blackouts sound. The way the Blackouts are (I don't know why), they sound much more passive-y to me than EMG's, which I have to say don't sound like the tonal ear sex that EMG say they do.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by al112987

Quote by Hultan
Or a natural sound at all for that matter. Just scooped mids and high gain :/

ZOMG j00 GuYz R LieK s0000 k00.

Because all metal tones are scooped, suck and cannot be appreciated.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by edusty2010
I play metal... I hate scooped mids with a passion, I jack them up to equal if not higher than my treble!

/sarcasm?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by SykoDelik
What If I thought they were just ok..?(mitch hedberg)

I dont have any EMG equiped guitars, but from what I've played are great for distorted metal tones. Not so much clean,...

they either liked us...or they hated us...or the thought we were OK
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15