I guess this thread can go in here; although I think it could probably go into Gear Customization too(I'll just start this one here for now.).

I have a Marshall MG30DFX; I know the MG's suck; but I use it since it's the only amp I have at the moment. Now my question is; where the hell would I get a power switch for it? The switch itself just kind of broke one day(for no ****ing reason). I live in a small town so my options for replacement parts are random hardware stores and Radio Shack; I haven't had any luck finding a suitable replacement switch.

I went to the Marshall website and found out that they don't really ship parts outside the UK; and on top of that, they don't sell parts like that(they don't want people taking apart amps and messing something up I guess). But they'll let you mail off your amp to them to get it fixed. My complaint about that of course is the fact that shipping would be a lot more than just getting the damn part I need.

My older brother is a certified electrician and he's gonna take a look at it and we're gonna see if we can rig something up(safety being a factor in that).

If that's not possible; can anybody else point me in the right direction in terms of just finding a replacement switch? I haven't had any luck so far with looking online.

Sorry that this is so long-winded; it just pisses me off that I'm having to go through this much trouble to replace such a simple part.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Last edited by OffspringPhreak at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by OffspringPhreak
I guess this thread can go in here; although I think it could probably go into Gear Customization too(I'll just start this one here for now.).

I have a Marshall MG30DFX; I know the MG's suck; but I use it since it's the only amp I have at the moment. Now my question is; where the hell would I get a power switch for it? The switch itself just kind of broke one day(for no ****ing reason). I live in a small town so my options for replacement parts are random hardware stores and Radio Shack; I haven't had any luck finding a suitable replacement switch.

I went to the Marshall website and found out that they don't really ship parts outside the UK; and on top of that, they don't sell parts like that(they don't want people taking apart amps and messing something up I guess). But they'll let you mail off your amp to them to get it fixed. My complaint about that of course is the fact that shipping would be a lot more than just getting the damn part I need.

My older brother is a certified electrician and he's gonna take a look at it and we're gonna see if we can rig something up(safety being a factor in that).

If that's not possible; can anybody else point me in the right direction in terms of just finding a replacement switch? I haven't had any luck so far with looking online.

Sorry that this is so long-winded; it just pisses me off that I'm having to go through this much trouble to replace such a simple part.

First u gotta poar wattur on ur head, and den u stik a fork in the elektrikul outlet on ur wallz
Quote by sonata414
First u gotta poar wattur on ur head, and den u stik a fork in the elektrikul outlet on ur wallz

Neato; I never thought I'd be in the position to report an idiot.

Cufk, TisH, Sips
I don't know much, but couldn't you just find a switch and put it in there? I mean, just go find a switch that matches the original, and put it in there.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Just look what kind of switch the original is (DPDT, 3PDT, SPDT) and buy a similar one. It doesn't have to look exactly the same as long as the number of lugs is the same.
Quote by johlin
Just look what kind of switch the original is (DPDT, 3PDT, SPDT) and buy a similar one. It doesn't have to look exactly the same as long as the number of lugs is the same.

Tried that. The few that looked like they could be used didn't have the voltage capacity required for the amp that's written on the original switch.

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Hmm. I'm don't know then.

I suppose you could jumper the switch so that it's always on and just turn it on/off by unplugging the cable? I don't know how good or bad this would be but at least I can see it working.
Quote by al112987
It could just be a connection is lose.

Just go bring it to a tech.

Nah the plastic part that you push on/off just kinda fell off; after looking at it I saw the plastic piece just broke(weird I know; not like I ever hit it or anything).

I've thought about doing something to make it so where you'd have to unplug it to turn it off; but I've always heard that just unplugging an amp that was on was a bad thing to do.

Thanks for the help though for all that's helped. I just thought of looking on Ebay for the switch(can't believe I didn't think of that before now); if I can't find one on there I'll figure out something(or just start saving up for an amp that's worth the money to begin with); thanks again to those that helped.

Cufk, TisH, Sips