Hi i'm thinking of replacing my stock epiphone les paul custom's pickups with some seymour duncans.
i'm not sure as to which ones i want though. i was thinking of either 59 neck and JB bridge, or like alnico ii neck & 59 in bridge, or any other combinations?
any suggestions on whats good, i play heavy, classic, and hard rock.

does anyone have their own epi lp + sd setup they'd like to recommend? or at least somewhere I can go to listen to different pickups besides the website? any help is appreciated!
i used to have an Epi LP with a '59 in the neck and JB in the bridge, i reeeaaalllly liked it, although i kinda grew to like the Jazz in the neck better. i play many different styles and that's always worked good for me, i think you'll have no problems.
Thanks for the input, yeah im kinda leaning towards the 59 neck and JB bridge right now. just wanna see what else there is.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's your current amp?

Based on your guitar, and what you play...I'd say something like a Duncan '59 or an Alnico II Pro in the neck, with a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 in the bridge would be a far better choice.
LP style guitars love a Custom 5 in the bridge.

hey, do LP's sound good with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge? I'm wanting to get one and a Jazz in the neck for my Epi LP standard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My amp i just have a Line 6 Spider III but looking to get something else soon. Ill have to hear the distortions and the customs. I like a good attack and bright tone rather then fuzzy.

I play GN'R and Led Zeppelin, around that general kinda tone even though they are not quite the same. thanks for all the suggestions!
Last edited by dawhoop at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
What kinda stuff do you play, again?

The Jazz'll sound alright. I don't really like mine in my SG, but it gets the job done.

Metal, hard rock. Anyway, I'm gonna stop hijacking this thread.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by dawhoop
My amp i just have a Line 6 Spider III but looking to get something else soon. Ill have to hear the distortions and the customs. I like a good attack and bright tone rather then fuzzy.

I play GN'R and Led Zeppelin, around that general kinda tone even though they are not quite the same. thanks for all the suggestions!

It really sounds like a Custom 5 is up your alley. The Custom Custom is gonna be too muchy in your guitar, I think. Especially if you want punch and a bright top end.

However, I think you should aim for a new amp before pickups. You may not notice much of a difference, if you upgrade now.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's all good.

The Distortion will work, but I prefer the Duncan SH-5 Custom to it.

Dude, I'd seriously nominate you for a mod position, if I could do that. you're just Awesome.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden