i was watching Arsis playing live and i noticed that the lead guitarist had two hair ties around the neck of his guitar right below the nut. does this cut down on string buzz?
Quote by TheShred201
What it does is keep the strings you aren't using from ringing out. It essentially just makes muting easier.

^This

It's generally used as a way to compensate for poor technique.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
MAB uses a string dampner. Does he have poor technique?

*Rolls eyes*
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
99% of the time you wouldn't need one. I have never felt the need for one.
Quote by sTx
MAB uses a string dampner. Does he have poor technique?

*Rolls eyes*

He uses one because he uses multiple necks, and it prevents the strings from ringing out when he's not using one of them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
It's also used for insane tapping licks / legato licks, particularly when having to hammer using the index finger. Guthrie uses one on 'Sevens', and he does not have poor technique.
Quote by Archeo Avis
He uses one because he uses multiple necks, and it prevents the strings from ringing out when he's not using one of them.

I saw MAB talking about it once, he said that the need to mute the strings comes from when you are alternate picking, to make each note wring out clearly there is no way you can leave the string ringing openly.
satriani tied a string around the neck when recording midnight (an all tapping song). i would suggest not using one as compensation for poor technique.
Quote by sisuphi
satriani tied a string around the neck when recording midnight (an all tapping song). i would suggest not using one as compensation for poor technique.

G3 Live in Denver - no hair bands, nothing. However, it sounds like he's using reverb and delay to mask any buzzing.
haha i wasn't attacking satch. sorry i should have made that clearer.

my second sentence was more of a general statement to the TS about using hair bands and such.

ya i've seen satch play it without the sock and it's clean. maybe he was just getting it down about the time of recording it.
Quote by sisuphi
maybe he was just getting it down about the time of recording it.

Lol! No worries! No disrespect to the Satch.